Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo announces Nintendo Labo

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane

:abyssgazer:

Not sure if it is decline for being targeted to kids and casual audience or incline for being the most unexpected and surprising profitable shit they ever made.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The robot kit is $80.

That's $20 bucks for cardboard, considering if the tech demo is the full price of a video game.

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
nice job skipping the switch thread.

Also, it's not just 20 bucks for cardboard, there's also bunch of other shit that comes with it, plus it's very customizable and you can build RC cardboard thingies with it(see the little doll in the video)

PorkBarrellGuy

That is actually kind of neat. I've seen people raging about CARDBOARD BOXES but honestly, most starter robot kits I've seen use cardboard because it's cheap and durable as long as you don't get it wet.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Well, cardboard with priece of gold isn't something new: https://www.1001maquetas.es/edifici...bayern-munchen-red-packing-4260307132989.html

Consider that if this shit gets succesful the will start selling models based on the most famous Nintendo franchises. Like a cardboard master sword, or a blue falcon. Every one with their respective "game", or maybe solid games with cardboard compatibility. Paraphrasing something I read in other forum, I have 0 interest on this. But if this shit would have existed when I was a kid, I would have started a hunger strike until my parents had bought me a Switch with these things.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
ce6d4850b28768fe96f89f92af41a362o.jpg

PorkBarrellGuy

Well, cardboard with priece of gold isn't something new: https://www.1001maquetas.es/edifici...bayern-munchen-red-packing-4260307132989.html

Consider that if this shit gets succesful the will start selling models based on the most famous Nintendo franchises. Like a cardboard master sword, or a blue falcon. Every one with their respective "game", or maybe solid games with cardboard compatibility. Paraphrasing something I read in other forum, I have 0 interest on this. But if this shit would have existed when I was a kid, I would have started a hunger strike until my parents had bought me a Switch with these things.

I never understood why Nintendo didn't bother making things like RC F-Zero cars, but hey, maybe now it'll happen.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
This might be actually fun just from seeing what custom builds people figure out to make.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
While I LOVE the idea behind this, the fact that it's Nintendo doing this is what stops me from celebrating.

As expected, they're charging astronomical prices for fucking cardboard. And they'll probably try to keep 3rd-party developers out of this, only Nintendo-approved cardboard will be allowed.

Which is precisely what they should NOT be doing.

I already have a couple of ideas on how to improve this concept to make it reach a broader audience, but since Nintendo ain't paying me shit I ain't talkin'.

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
While I LOVE the idea behind this, the fact that it's Nintendo doing this is what stops me from celebrating.

As expected, they're charging astronomical prices for fucking cardboard. And they'll probably try to keep 3rd-party developers out of this, only Nintendo-approved cardboard will be allowed.

Which is precisely what they should NOT be doing.

I already have a couple of ideas on how to improve this concept to make it reach a broader audience, but since Nintendo ain't paying me shit I ain't talkin'.

Google cardboard is $15 and comes with one piece of cardboard. This shit comes with 19/28 pieces(depending on the kid), plus ribbons, rubber bands, tape, eyelets etc. So it's not THAT overpriced. But they have also talked about the idea that the kits should be easily mendable, which cardboard accomplishes easily.

i thought this world was trying to get rid of paper...

from a purely monetary point of view this idea is pure genius, i can already see millions of kids tripping balls on christmas morning because they got one of these and totally throwing unbelievable tantrums by before lunch time because they destroyed their brand new toy. what would you do as a parent? of course run to the store and buy another one.
pure genius.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I'm really surprised by this "kids will break cardboard in two hours" thing going around the internet. We're not talking about preschoolers here, they're not gonna chew on this shit.

Morons have been popping Tide pods into their mouths lately.

They absolutely will chew on it. Fucking animals.

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
I'm really surprised by this "kids will break cardboard in two hours" thing going around the internet. We're not talking about preschoolers here, they're not gonna chew on this shit.

Morons have been popping Tide pods into their mouths lately.

They absolutely will chew on it. Fucking animals.

Idiots deliberately causing harm to themselves is not the same as kids breaking cardboard toys via intended use.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom