Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones demo now on Steam

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Other than the slowness of combat, this is fucking fantastic. Brilliant alignment system. Just wish it would come out sooner.

Anyone with points in subterfuge know if you can steal the book from the key guy?

2nd impressions:

pressing a key at every loading screen becomes annoying quite quickly; if loading screens are a necessity might i suggest you do away with the 'press any button' rigmarole and be taken directly to the next screen?

you simply HAVE to give the option to increase the font; i can only stomach the first few screens before having to quit because of squinting to read the text

other than that, cool

chiefnewo

Liturgist
Very interesting so far. Got taken out by two unlucky critical hits on me in the bank.

Combat is annoyingly slow, would be nice to have less delays before things happen and speed up the animations a bit. Also having to press a key/click after every loading screen is really irritating.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
So, belief systems:

Are they set based on the archetypes you pick or do you get to pick them independently?

Mark Richard

Arcane
Are those asylum patients flinging their own shit at me? The demo ended with a critical hit to the back of the head.

This is wonderful. Great music, faithful writing, and a belief system that encourages roleplaying by conferring bonuses for consistent characterisation.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Just played the demo, just some of my thoughts, the writing is not really amazing, not really subtle and witty like Sunless Sea, damn I really like that setting except for the crap game beneath. But the systems and combat seem really nice and well structured. Love the that you can choose the belief system of you MC, and the divine Christian one is not overly preachy like some stuff today.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
I agree with the above poster. Writing is the weakest spot. Also the main plot doesn't seem amazing either. At least the part you get through the demo.
Char creation/system seems really nice though.

Tygrende

Arbiter
Beat the demo, loved it. I can already tell there's a high chance it will be my 2019 GOTY, unless Underrail: Expedition gets delayed again.

That said there's one thing I disliked
You cannot access the safe hidden behind the poster in the bank without paying 50 cigs to the key guy first, even though the 3rd manager note clearly tells you that it's right there while the other two say the safe is numbered 0 and contains the possessions of the Dismal Man.

Feels a bit forced and immersion breaking, especially if you're materialistic.

anyone saved enough cigarretes to buy one of the rifles?
I bought the .270 one. I think I even got one or two crit 1-shots with it, using the marine aimed shot ability.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom