Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why fix bugs if retarded millennials give you dem dolla bills before the game is even out?

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I pirated it and completed it, forcing myself through it with only 10-20 FPS.
It's so unfinished, god damn. The story literally ends with "hey Jensen we won" told to you by some ugly lady and Jensen replies with "did we" in a dramatic twist and then the AI Picus news lady blabbering about what you did for 5 minutes before the credits roll. It's clear that this wasn't intended to be the real ending and the devs ran out of time or money after pre order numbers disappointed Square Enix execs. It had a lot of great ideas and Prague was so insanely detailed, but the story was shallow and undercooked. It ends in 3 ways and all are disappointing.

I'd also like to note that the game only has ONE (1) boss battle and it is at the end. You can kill him in a Deyoos Ehks manner by using a killswitch that's in a nonsensical location under a table in some random room, but the fight is more satisfying and the boss is pretty well designed but if you want the obvious best ending (augs aren't oppressed, some guys are saved and building wasn't blown up) you are on a 15 minute timer to stop the bombs, the boss and save the dudes to get the best ending. The game had some solid ideas about the illuminati types trying to frame the innocent, but again most of them remained unfinished. I'm guessing that the game was either intended to have a cliffhanger ending but not be so blatantly unfinished or this was supposed to lead to Chapter 2 and somehow tie into that "Deus Ex Universe" thing that Square Enix tried to set up. Squenix pretty much said that the IP is on hiatus and they aren't making any new games, so RIP I guess.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
So...I trudge through this shit for game...get to M7 I believe (Confronting Talos Rucker). I make to to the final elevator...step off...and fall through the geometry.

I research a bit...it's been a bug for 2 years they haven't fixed. Game Stopping Bug. On All Platforms.

Yeah, fuck this shit. Glad it was free. Uninstalled.

:salute:

Zep--
Strange, i didn't encoutar that bug...another proof that pirates get the better deal. Still the last level was the best in the game. The finale is my favourite part,you beat the terrorists in 10 minutes and then you spend 20 minutes in front of a door,drinking tea with rum waiting for a room filled with rich liberal cucks and soyboys to experience painful retribution from the minority that they so vigorously protect from any criticism. The best part of the game! I was sooooo happy when i got the "bad ending" that i wanted to chose but the idiot writers didn't give you any dialogue choices,yet the game mechanics did give me the choice of killing every augmented person that i can find. :terminate:

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Pretty much, but there is an optional boss battle.

The serial killer can be fought in the 'The last Harvest' side misson, if you completed 'The Harvester' before. Can end in mutiple ways too and it was quite a nice mission overall - with the exception of once again taking away control so Jensen can do something dumb.

Edit: reply to veealune

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
So...I trudge through this shit for game...get to M7 I believe (Confronting Talos Rucker). I make to to the final elevator...step off...and fall through the geometry.

I research a bit...it's been a bug for 2 years they haven't fixed. Game Stopping Bug. On All Platforms.

Zep--

Bad news, men.

Did a little more research on this bug. Some said backtracking from "previous auto save" back to the market and sell a few things and take a different route back.

So, since I just had my internet speed updated, downloaded again.

The alternate route I took was using the elevator in the market vs. the backroom door.

I was too lazy to stealth it all again so I just runned and gunned.

Got to lvl 7 elevator...road to top and...the hallway was now rendered.

Oh, the bad news, I feel I must finish it now. :(

Zep--

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual

Zep--

Bad news, men.

Did a little more research on this bug. Some said backtracking from "previous auto save" back to the market and sell a few things and take a different route back.

So, since I just had my internet speed updated, downloaded again.

The alternate route I took was using the elevator in the market vs. the backroom door.

I was too lazy to stealth it all again so I just runned and gunned.

Got to lvl 7 elevator...road to top and...the hallway was now rendered.

Oh, the bad news, I feel I must finish it now. :(

Zep--

Ok finished, shit game is shit.

Crafting? LOL..never crafted a damn thing. Think I had 2.some full stacks of "crafting materials".

Went thru the whole game with the starter weapon "tranq rifle"

Only used "stun gun" on those heavy armor dudes.

Played on "Normal"...I usually play games like this on easy...was still easy except for the RNG and save/reload syndrome.

Really, REALLY bad game. It's no wonder it didn't sell well.

next up: some Batman shit from tell tale (also free on PSN this month)

Zep--

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Huh:

Watch Jonathan Jacques-Belletête (Executive Art Director), Mary DeMarle (Executive Narrative Director) and Jean-François Dugas (Executive Game Director) ramble about the Icarus Myth and its significance in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

Releasing stuff from old pre-release Twitch streams on YouTube?

Last edited:

Cross

Arcane
Judging by how incoherent and misused the Icarus symbolism is, they don't seem to have grasped the basics of Greek mythology. Nor do they seem to have any recollection of the first Deus Ex, although that much was already evident from how these games are designed.

Keppo

Arbiter
The thing that bothers me with Deus Ex Human Revolution and Mankind Divident is Art Direction... Wtf they were thinking? From all colors YELLOW is your main color in Cyberpunk setting? Immersion breaking.... It just dont work, and doesnt feel right.

Cross

Arcane
The thing that bothers me with Deus Ex Human Revolution and Mankind Divident is Art Direction... Wtf they were thinking? From all colors YELLOW is your main color in Cyberpunk setting? Immersion breaking.... It just dont work, and doesnt feel right.
That's not even the worst thing the art direction is guilty of. That would be the character clothes/armors, which are overdesigned to the point of absurdity. Everyone's outfit has a thousand little add-ons, trinkets, baubles and flourishes. Everyone and their mother can afford cutting edge, sleek-looking augmentations, even if they're middle class or bums living on the street (the original Deus Ex took place in the future and only had a handful of augmented NPC's). And their obsession with the triangle motif. Triangles, triangle everywhere. The developers clearly went to the Square school of character design (unsurprising, considering it was their publisher).

This is apparently what the developers at Eidos think a police offer will look like in a few years:

Deus-Ex-screen-1_w_600.png

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not all cops looks like that though, those are the anti-terrorist guys. The ones patrolling the street has less high tech stuff.

46A6284692D972A0FD5434A2D19E2F0405E1BBDC

a cut of domestic sheep prime

In fairness, this is set in Europe and Europe was taken over by MJ12 by the time of Deus Ex with robocop-style military hardware and guys in gear fairly similar to that and heavier walking the streets of Paris, so I don't find it that far fetched.

latest
latest

Last edited by a moderator:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
There is no need to compare them. Graphical imagination changes with advance in time and technology. Doubt that Jules Verne would have written the same books if he lived in modern days.

HansDampf

Arcane
Different engine, low-res textures and limited game assets...

This model is used for security guards and regular police on the streets (not MJ12 troops) in Paris. This one happens to hold a shotgun, but there are others who are empty handed. It's just hard to find good screenshots. Here is one from Revision.

This is a riot cop in NYC under martial law.

Cross

Arcane
In fairness, this is set in Europe and Europe was taken over by MJ12 by the time of Deus Ex with robocop-style military hardware and guys in gear fairly similar to that and heavier walking the streets of Paris, so I don't find it that far fetched.
guys in gear fairly similar
:what:

How do those look remotely similar to the screenshot I posted? The MJ12 troops are outfitted practically and soberly, they don't have hundreds of random pieces of colored fabrics, pouches and triangle prints plastered over their armor, or one shoulder pad that's in a different color than the other one for some reason.

You seem to have completely misunderstood the point I was making. The clothing, armor and weapon designs in HR and MD don't just look too futuristic for the era, they also look goofy and impractical.

this is set in Europe and Europe was taken over by MJ12 by the time of Deus Ex with robocop-style military hardware
MJ12 didn't take over Europe (how could they, they're a covert group), they were dispatched to Paris on a mission to take out resistance groups like Silhouette and to hunt JC. They didn't replace law enforcement.

Though I don't know why you would think that's relevant since MD takes place 30-40 years before the original Deus Ex. And HR & MD contradict the original Deus Ex so much that trying to draw connections between the games is pointless. HR basically rebooted the entire Deus Ex setting.

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

The MJ12 troops are outfitted practically and soberly, they don't have hundreds of random pieces of colored fabrics, pouches and triangle prints plastered over their armor, or one shoulder pad that's in a different color than the other one for some reason.
They also have a much lower resolution and level of detail. Getting really anal at his point. I didn't like the art direction much either, but I'm not going to sit here and pretend that the MJ12 commando was any less extravagant than the riot cop. In fact, the same design by today's artists would probably be even more extravagant.

http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/MJ12_Commando
MJ12 Commando's were at first a mechanically augmented riot cop named "Megatech", before this design changed. This was changed to Majestic 12 soldier instead of a cop and his mechanical augmentation were completely redesigned to be power armor with a regular human inside instead of a mechanically augmented person.
IO7gRVw.png

mystery.png

The clothing, armor and weapon designs in HR and MD don't just look too futuristic for the era, they also look goofy and impractical.
So do the MJ12 commandos and the NSF. I do get what you're saying and agree with you to a degree though.

The fact is, the over all direction of DX:HR and MD is far out of pace with reasonable development compared to present day. It's not as grounded in reality as the original DX. The same could be said of Invisible War btw, though that's further in the future.

I just think criticizing uniforms of a police force not even present in the original and comparing them to dated graphical models that were reused all over the game for various characters and jobs is going a bit overboard.

I don't know why you would think that's relevant since MD takes place 30-40 years before the original Deus Ex.
Because you're pointing out that there are heavily armed, advanced, military-like soldiers on the street and complaining that it's not more similar to present day police presences. I'm saying that, in the Deus Ex world, Europe clearly was fast tracked toward that level of military and police presence compared to America, as MJ12 was there completely in the open in Paris, operating as a sanctioned security force. That sort of thing usually doesn't happen over night.
MJ12 didn't take over Europe (how could they, they're a covert group), they were dispatched to Paris on a mission to take out resistance groups like Silhouette and to hunt JC. They didn't replace law enforcement.
Acknowledged. Wrong phrasing on my part.

I meant that:
http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Majestic_12
By 2035, Majestic 12 has taken control of the political, financial, military, and religious arms of the Illuminati. They become the de facto rulers of Europe and Asia. It is decided that the United States will be the first nation to fall before them.

and

http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Majestic_12
http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Affaires_le_France
MJ12 has a significant amount of power in France, to the extent that they can operate openly in Paris. They operate under the guise of a "security organization" associated with Page Industries that will work closely with local and national authorities to keep the peace.[15] Paris, like the US, is placed under martial law presumably through the work of Majestic 12.
Bob Page: Intimidation through violence is the last resort of the weak... these groups are composed of nothing but frustrated, gullible individuals. We have a very effective security organization that will be working with both local and national authorities to minimize whatever potential for actual harm they present.
So they basically rule Europe and operate openly. Not saying they are openly ruling Europe.

HR basically rebooted the entire Deus Ex setting.
Mainly as far as technological level is concerned really. Way too much focus on augs and proliferation of augmentation. Deus Ex conspiracy plot largely eschewed for lame racism allegory. They did at least try to tie it in somewhat. Agenda acknowledged though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
System Rift: 2-3 hours, ok, a bit like the
'Bank-Heist' mission
in the main game.

A Criminal Past: 5-6 hours, good, 'Augment Wipe' at the start like in DX: HR.

If you liked DX: MD, get A Criminal Past, if you really liked it get both - but you won't miss much without System Rift.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is system rift part of the main game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom