Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Decline 20: Dominions 5: Defenders of the Faith

What era we play in?

• MA

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • EA

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • LA

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Kingcomrade

Votes: 11 42.3%

• Total voters

sqeecoo

Arcane
Honestly, Dominions makes for an incredibly tedious and boring multiplayer game. The interface is horrendous and the game doesn't lend itself well to long gaps between turns. I'll keep submitting turns here and in decline 21 so as not to spoil anything, although feel free to AI me or whatever if you lot prefer it. Single player is a lot better.

I can definitely see where you are coming from, but the depth of strategy really only shines in MP. It'd be better if you could chat with an experienced player about your moves in the game, you only really realize how fucking intricate every decision is when you see it from a veteran's perspective. I could offer my services in D21 now that I'm out (though I'm hardly experienced), or I can definitely recommend a disciple game with a veteran as a team leader. Those were very eye-opening for me, especially the forum vs. forum game where the Codex team was led by Johannes. Jesus, it was like the guy wasn't even playing the same game as us.

Anyway, the time between the turns, if I'm into the game, is spent in sudden realizations of things I could optimize in game, and then running to the PC to do it only to forget what it was I wanted to do. Seriously, the depth of any decision, even minor ones like where to send your scouts, is completely insane, and you can never have enough time. But yeah, it's kinda hard to get into, especially alone.

Koolnoodles, that video is beautiful.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
We could maybe organize a fast disciple blitz... With a couple experienced players like sqeecoo, Dayyālu or KoolNoodles as leaders and me and other newbs as disciples. Something we could play in an evening or three tops, since I'm starved for some free time. With enough planning I could manage, but only if everyone agrees to play as fast as possible and no one drags it too much.

sqeecoo

Arcane
I'm definitely up for the idea! Though I wouldn't say I'm experienced. Perhaps the discord chat would be a good place to set up stuff like that?

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nah, I don't think a blitz game would work well, either. My objections extend to the cumbersome manner in which multiplayer works: receive a turn by email, download the turn and place it into a folder, play the turn, copy the new turn file and send it back in an email, rinse and repeat using some sort of random webpage that coordinates everything. As for diplomacy, it can't be done in game effectively because there's this odd system where you don't store old chat messages, so it all has to be done somewhere like this forum. It's just a pathetic system that was long in the tooth a decade ago. Totally ruins it.

They should either learn how to make a smooth multiplayer experience as seen in turn-based games like Field of Glory, or otherwise put more effort into the single player. I am 100% unwilling to go to the bother of copying files and emailing them back and forth. At this point that's a line in the sand.

In Conquest of Elysium, the single player was improved by addition of different planes for the player to explore. In this latest version of dominions, it seems the AI is stronger so that is a nice step forward. Still, it's all a tad tiresome and boring; early game can be fun in single player but is just tedious in multiplayer, and late game is just the most meaningless grind. Pure mediocrity at this point, honestly.

Nah, I don't think a blitz game would work well, either. My objections extend to the cumbersome manner in which multiplayer works: receive a turn by email, download the turn and place it into a folder, play the turn, copy the new turn file and send it back in an email, rinse and repeat using some sort of random webpage that coordinates everything. As for diplomacy, it can't be done in game effectively because there's this odd system where you don't store old chat messages, so it all has to be done somewhere like this forum. It's just a pathetic system that was long in the tooth a decade ago. Totally ruins it.

They should either learn how to make a smooth multiplayer experience as seen in turn-based games like Field of Glory, or otherwise put more effort into the single player. I am 100% unwilling to go to the bother of copying files and emailing them back and forth. At this point that's a line in the sand.

In Conquest of Elysium, the single player was improved by addition of different planes for the player to explore. In this latest version of dominions, it seems the AI is stronger so that is a nice step forward. Still, it's all a tad tiresome and boring; early game can be fun in single player but is just tedious in multiplayer, and late game is just the most meaningless grind. Pure mediocrity at this point, honestly.
Muty's pbem manager is pretty good for handling the turn files.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron

The ingame message system could be improved drastically, I give you that. But complaining about using an email client to save an attachment and send one? This takes 1 minute at most. PBEM is also an established form of MP gaming for turnbased 4X. The alternative would be a server set up by Illwinter, which would come with costs and problems.

Isiloon

Arcane
Patron
I'd be down for some blitz games - maybe on weekends so some of us in crazy time zones can stay up - or wake up early.

Blitz games would be a lot of fun.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
maybe on weekends

What's a w-e-e-k e-n-d? I only know work...

:negative:

Jokes aside, unfortunately sunday and saturday are the worst for me in terms of workload. For me the best situation would be to start on Sunday evening, after I get back from work and then follow up with monday and tuesday evenings (if needed). Wednesday starts the no-no portion of the week, with various geeky commitments I simply must attend to.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
vacations

Ooh you are an historian, after all. Back in high school I remember translating an excerpt from Pliny the old's Naturalis Historia about it. Fascinating topic, really.

I do have Monday as a free day though...

...which means I only have a single student in the afternoon, not 4-6 like the other days. I still work.
:negative:

sqeecoo

Arcane
Boyos, could I possibly get 24h here? To get back from my trip eh? My brain is mush and playing dominions on a touchpad is no fun :)

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Thanks for the extension, because I sent my turn in and nothing happened? I am looking at my email just now because I thought it would be the new turn again. :lol:

Fuck, ok, time to re-submit.

Good news, everyone!

The bandits from Marignon are no longer sieging my capital.

dOUiy5b.jpg

retreaters didn't survive either

mondblut

Arcane
At least you didn't go AI first. Otherwise retreating from your cap would have been mandatory :smug:

(Ysian matrons chew on fish chips watching AI Arco horde rampage through Mictlan)

KoolNoodles

Arcane
At least you didn't go AI first. Otherwise retreating from your cap would have been mandatory :smug:

(Ysian matrons chew on fish chips watching AI Arco horde rampage through Mictlan)

Arco has done next to nothing, oddly, and certainly aren't attacking me. They are summoning hordes of boars and whatnot though, from the looks of it. :lol:

sqeecoo

Arcane
> Lord of this World
> 5/8 throne points

Hmmmm.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom