Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Underworld Ascendant PAX South 2018 Trailer, Gameplay Footage and Previews

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: OtherSide Entertainment; Paul Neurath; Tim Stellmach; Underworld Ascendant; Warren Spector

The annual PAX South event in San Antonio took place this past weekend. Among the games that made an appearance there were Pillars of Eternity II, Divinity: Original Sin 2 and OtherSide Entertainment's Underworld Ascendant. Despite high expectations, so far nothing new has come out from there about the first two games, but OtherSide have come through for us. Today they published a new trailer for Ascendant, featuring gameplay footage from the latest internal build and narrated by the one and only Stephen Russell. The trailer is combined with what appear to be old recordings of Warren Spector, Paul Neurath and Tim Stellmach dating back to the Kickstarter, and it serves a kind of introduction to the game. Check out that new logo:

Simultaneously with the release of the trailer, several previews of Underworld Ascendant have appeared on the web. The most notable of these is a two and a half minute gameplay video at IGN. Narrated by Paul Neurath, it demonstrates some of Ascendant's diverse gameplay options, including a bit of fiery deep slug action:

There are also a couple of preview articles at The Verge and TechRaptor, and a brief interview with Paul Neurath on a YouTube channel called Dropthespotlight. The interview is interesting in that it features a rather candid admission by Paul that the game has strayed away from its originally planned RPG roots as development has progressed.

grimace

Arcane
https://youtu be/8tQafjwS7bk

Calling it "Immersive simulation" and saying Otherside Entertainment is "pushing the innovation ...[and] it's satisfying".

ciox

Liturgist
Environments look cool even if they're full of teal&orange, some abilities are nice (you'll have all the gear from Thief in the game at this rate), but the awkward messing around with physics and super creative solutions to resolve combat still looks like someone playing Garry's Mod.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Wait... this game is RELEASING in 2018? Not a fucking chance.
At his point, I'm thinking most video game release dates are just there to add some urgency to the marketing. They are inevitably delayed, but it the mean time, it gets people more exicted to think a game is just around the corner than thinking it's 1 or 2 years away.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'll even take a bad Arx Fatalis clone to re-experience that UU feeling so this looks nice. Maybe it's the voice but I feel like I can trust that guy talking in the first video, the LG guy.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Cratemancy is a somewhat original development on the long and prestigious history of players using crate physics to fuck with a game. Not necessarily better than crate ladders in ultima 7 and thief, but a welcome development.

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
Looks really nice. The snail having a little snack seems quite specific.
I wonder how detailed the AI will be with these things.

Performance seems to be a little lacking here and there.
Probably because of the dynamic lighting. From what I understand all of those torches can be put out, so none of that nice orange light can be precomputed.

One of those comments under the second video though...

I recently made Ultima Underword work with dual analog control through a Wii U Pro controller and played through the entire game. Then programmed it to work with a Wiimote with motion controls for swinging stabbing and chopping

I'm actually thinking about trying that myself.

Sinatar

Arbiter
Hey guys, our game lets you play however you want, here's a video showing off a bunch of different approaches to a situation!

All the approaches fail.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Is it just me or does this have nothing in common with Ultima Underworld?

Except being underground, obviously. :D

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Infi still white knighting this. If it isn't out in 2018, like they say, Infi, then I get the Codex review copy!

grimace

Arcane
At his point, I'm thinking most video game release dates are just there to add some urgency to the marketing. They are inevitably delayed, but it the mean time, it gets people more exicted to think a game is just around the corner than thinking it's 1 or 2 years away.

There's always something "just around the corner."

The question we should be asking is: How many corners does this game have and how many of those corners will need to be cut?

Chunkyman

Augur
Hey guys, our game lets you play however you want, here's a video showing off a bunch of different approaches to a situation!

All the approaches fail.

Sounds pretty realistic to me. :shittydog:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom