Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Elex

Arbiter
Disregard this, I'm now on my second playthrough and there's a faction I missed called "The Claws" that's far above and beyond the rest.

I had no idea about them! Do they have a fully fleshed out quest line? Or is it a little shorter and kind of tied to the outlaws in general?
from a lore prospective the claw are me most interesting faction of the game.

they clearly explain that the world have more humans and more faction around and it’s not limited by the playable map, you can travel around only following secret passage/route because of radiation

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I want ELEXOUT, ELEX DALE and why not Temple of Elemental ELEX? But most of all, Arcanum: Of Steamworks and ELECKS Obscura

Walden

Savant
hiUOtg2.jpg

:salute:

Doktor Best

Arcane
"Haha look at me! Im so funny how i rage at a mid budget hardcore rpg because im mentally handicapped and cannot into simple timing based combat and picking an enemy that is actually approprate for my ultralowlevel-hobo-character to face"

XDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXD

Hes a fucking moron. Everybody should have gotten the memo til now.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Pissed Pedro died in Risen 3 and ragequit after spamming M1 didn't work against the first scavenger after the character reset post tutorial. He's legitimately bad at video games and if he utilized the free, unlimited and fully I-framed dodge rolls even once he could have beat it without taking a hit. Risen 3 had actually okay combat although the progression was slow and sliding felt unfair at times.

Artyoan

Arbiter
So I've finished Elex. Took me 73 hours and I went with the Clerics. Figured I'd preserve my thoughts and observations while its still fresh. I guess I'll start with the good:

-The sci fi fantasy mix works well in the end. Wasn't sure how I'd feel about having a jetpack on me as a more traditional fantasy berserker so I chose to go with the Clerics to make it fit more seamless. I was in a more high tech mood anyway.
-More on the jetpack, they did an excellent job making the player constantly think vertically. Very rarely was I left empty handed when I jetpacked up to the top of a building or new floor. The fact that it worked fairly well for combat is a bonus. Most enemies had ways of still hitting me so it never felt abusive.
-Items are numerous and placed in ways that usually makes sense. Old world money in a safe. Cigarettes next to a chair at a snipers perch. The fact that Elexit money was hard to come by for the first half of the game meant I was constantly picking up everything. I could always afford what I needed but only sometimes what I wanted. Later on some of the skill traits render money a non-issue but as far as currency goes this felt far better than most games.
-Speaking of item placement, even long after the worth of items ceased being an issue I was still treated to notes and audio tapes left there from the old world. These were often personal tales of a particular's houses troubles at the time or could be hinting at the overall history by giving the player bit by bit of information to piece it together. I loved this. Even better when reading those notes meant access to a safe combination as a reward. Finding a note about a toy left for a child in the nearby safe with his birthday being the passcode leaves a very human trace to everything you're rummaging through. Likewise with a couple experiencing marital issues in their notes only to find their skeletons hugging each other in their final moments.
-Paying attention to the quests and their ramifications leaves the player far better off than just notching off quests from your log. Very often I would finish a quest in my log book but revisit people impacted after quest completion resulting in a reward of experience and/or money.
-The different factions are mostly well realized with large cities, different laws and outlooks on their place in the world, and plenty of flaws to go around. As a downside the game does seem to favor Berserkers. Not only is Jax led there initially but key figures in Magalan regarding the main story are most often of this faction and even Jax's personal background ties in with them.
-Some dialogue choices requiring skill tree investments (survival, personality, combat, etc) was nice as it rewarded character builds in some roleplaying aspects more than others. This was only prevalent within the first quarter of the game though. After that there really wasn't a check I couldn't pass.
-I really wish more games would go with a similar power curve overall. I loved the fact that I was lunch meat for the first fifteen or so hours of the game. A dangerous world easily turns into an endearing one.

Now for the not so good:

-Bugs. Often the bottom half of the hacking UI would be cutoff. Often I would open up my menu only to have it mostly blocked off by my hand or head or who knows what. Enemies would get pushed into terrain and become unhittable. I could open the vast majority of locked chests by kneeling down to open it and then immediately cancelling which would unlock it. Mountainous terrain can sometimes have Jax humping it when trying to jump it. No major gamebreaking bugs but enough to cause some butt hurt.
-Some of the dialogue is schizophrenic or just nonsensical. There were a lot of moments where Jax and the individual he was speaking to would start talking about entirely different topics or assertions that did not at all relate to the ongoing conversation. This happened a lot more often during the main quest than side quests and much more later on in the game. One major figure tells me to implant a seed into a big baddie to change him into an ally and then no less than one minute later tells me that the only option is to kill said baddie.
-The late game was obviously rushed and chapter 4 is where it falls apart. Open threads are abruptly closed and obviously not fully tested or explained. There is one point where Jax intends to confront his brother Kallax. Its established that it should be at an area where Kallax can't bring a mech army. The resulting choice of battlefield makes zero sense with that in mind. Not only that but the meeting of brothers before this event involved Jax relating information about their childhood that he didn't know. After completing that quest I was then given the quest that actually revealed that particular spoiled plot point. The late game is a shit show for the plot.
-The primary sin of the combat system is that staggering is far too easy. There exists a variety of weapons but some of them provide the means to deal good damage while leaving the enemy in a near permanent stun-lock. Some of these even do it to multiple enemies at once. The Cleric spell 'Black Hole' in particular seemed like shit when I first used it but after a few upgrades in Psi damage and now I can stunlock and kill entire crowds of enemies and it only drains my mana bar which is promptly refilled for free by resting. And bedrolls are liberally scattered throughout Magalan. What this means is that one weapon easily becomes the end-all-be-all for offensive and defensive purposes.
-The exploration is great but combined with the power curve that meant there were a ton of interesting areas I couldn't do much with at first but I would want to return to. But there is no custom notes to be placed on the map. If I find a room full of poison I want to revisit later or a chest/safe to return to with the required skillset then I have to write it down or remember where it was on the wide world of Magalan. I'd have likely had 20 or more custom notes with such a feature.
-The same button that is used to pick up items is used to talk to people. People, like your own companion. For whatever reason there is a very generous range upon which you can talk to your companion, even if they are at your back. Constantly throughout the game I would want to grab a mug or broom or something only to initiate unwanted conversation with my follower.
-The day/night cycle just didn't matter as much as I would like. Rather than being more dangerous at night it was often advantageous since people or monsters were sleeping. Cool, I guess, but it just didn't matter much. And daytime lasted so long and bedrolls so numerous that I could constantly control what time of day it was.

I'm looking forward to a sequel. Elex has no business being on anyone's 'top worst' games of 2017. If it is, that type of individual should be wearing a helmet and a diaper at all times for their own safety. Its got its flaws but its a good game and the story is surprisingly engaging. The Four Houses quest in particular left a lasting impression.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom