Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones demo now on Steam

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: Cultic Games; Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones

Brighten up your mid-week blues with the news of Free Entertainment! in the shape of a demo of Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones. You can download it from Steam by navigating your internet browser to the product page (or search for the game in the Steam client).

We have covered Stygian before, but here's a short blurb to refresh your memory of what it's about, plus a new gameplay trailer:

Delve into a role-playing game of horror, loss and madness set in the strange worlds of HP Lovecraft. Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones offers a mix of rich role-playing and turn-based tactical combat, represented in an illustrative visual style. Can you find salvation in a dead world?​

Thanks, catfood!

kether

Novice
hm.demo looks both disturbing and promising and maybe even cthulhian.music and ambience is acceptable. graphic with some kind of sick cuteness. why not give a chance.

aratuk

Cipher
Just played the demo through to the end. No bugs, no problems with the Mac version.

The Gorey-esque art style is great! A+
Narration is a little too omniscient sometimes — don't need to be told that Dismal Man is "enigmatic" when that's obvious. The writing can be a little purple, but it's mostly good. I agree with MRY about the Oxford comma.
I like the character creation system. Eight different "archetype" classes each having three optional subtypes.

Looking forward to this. Glad I backed on Kickstarter.

Thanks Zed for bringing this to our attention; unlike a certian news jew who is only obsessed with ineptile and ohshitian.

More importantly is this turn based aratuk ?

It is turn based.

As always; no TB = no buy for crpgs is a policy i hold with the utmost precedence.

Will go for the demo this weekend.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Great old ones be praised, it's a real RPG! I almost pissed myself with glee when I saw all the drugs on offer at the pharmacy. Although using narcotics to manage my character's sanity hits a little close to home. I feel like I won't have to role play very hard: nihilism + laudanum = a fun weekend, even in Cthulhu town.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
dat art and dat soundtrack.

This game is shaping up nicely. Too bad it's not coming out this year.

Is their site offline or is it only here?

razvedchiki

Erudite
i played a bit and liked what i saw so far,deep character creation with lots of classes-subclasses,intricate sanity system,resource management/tight economy.
i found the battles (at least the lunatics in the bank) not so hard as the loading screens implied they will be.

not only the soundtrack and art is amazing but also the sound FX. Listening to footsteps and creepy seldom shouts really adds to the overall mood. I do wish we would have an option to increase the font.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Tried the demo and am enjoying the shit out of it. Played as a aged occultist mesmerist, really, REALLY liked it. It scratched that Secret World itch nicely too :)

aratuk

Cipher
As proven time and time again (eg. new Planescape) good combat is an essential element of good RPG, but at the same time being simply able to beat the shit out of your adversaries isn't overly Lovecraftian so I'm on the fence with this one.

Very early days. Doubt much balancing has taken place yet, since the final game isn't supposed to come out until 2019. As for Lovecraftian,
you're only fighting other humans in the demo, anyway.

The demo points out there's a mechanism to escape from battle, which might come in handy if you're up against anything too nonhuman.

On this note, however, it would be nice if they did away with the "hold ALT to reveal all interactable objects" hand-holding feature.

aratuk

Cipher
Pixel hunting isn't gameplay.

YMMV, and I don't think necessary things should be too annoyingly hidden, but to me it seems appropriate that there are greater rewards for those who are thorough and observant, than for those who aren't. There's definitely a balance to be struck, but highlighting everything interactable is not a form of handholding I enjoy.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Why is there a non-disclosure agreement in the EULA? Is that normal?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom