Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Cael

Arcane
You basically ask for it. Fear the Reaper = possible chance of sudden death (-50-100HP) on level up, which happen after you get xp, which happen after you kill a bad guy. Read the fucking description text, yo!
Well, duh!

I know how it works. I put it in for the added thrills. And no, it is not -50 to -100. It is a random percentage of full health and that is sometimes over 100%. I have had sqaddies got poof at 100% health and well over 100 hp. It just an added element of tactical awareness: when to level/heal. Although, I have noticed that XP is granted on the last kill of the fight, especially in random encounters, so you do have some control over when you level.

You are like a masochist asking for it~ :lol: :fallout3:
The bonus perks are good, especially when you play Tough Guy mode and get double XP. More levels = more perks = more carnage.

That said, I just had Mandy explode from full health, and I think she was sitting at about 200 or so (level 22, Lifegiver x2 from L12).

Deleted member 7219

Jedi Outcast was fun, but DF2JK does everything but force powers and swordplay better, including level design. Outcast's level design is railroaded and boring by comparison.

Most games pale in comparison to Jedi Knight. But JK2 is a lot of fun. Saber combat and Force Powers unmatched just like you say. Such a lot of fun to Force grab or Force lightning enemies off ledges and hear them scream. It also has some great Stormtrooper conversations which Jedi Knight definitely lacked.

Cael

Arcane
The big trick for most of these missions is to position yourself so that you can immediately get behind squadrons leaving the star destroyer, when they are all clumped together and flying dead straight out of the hanger. Easy to rack up massive kills.

Also IIRC a Y-Wing can pretty much solo a star destroyer by taking out the shield generators and quickly disabling it with ions. Depending on mission this may end the waves or they may contrinue.

Yeah I know but it feels so game-y and there's also the issue of painstakingly memorising a particular mission just to fly over to the point where the Star Destroyer is going to appear, before it does so. Then you have to go after the bombers immediately as they spawn in, avoiding turbo lasers and fighters. If you don't take out the bombers quickly enough you might as well restart. Even if you manage to take them out by some miracle there's another bomber squadron just waiting on the sidelines, so you have to destroy them too as quickly as you can - while surviving being shot at from every single direction.

It's just not good gameplay.
You should try the one with the 3 hijacked X-wings. You warp in in a Y-wing and have to disable the 3 X-wings with your ion cannons. Then the friendly shuttles warp in and slowly make their way to the X-wings. Then a Star Destroyer warps in and you have to blow up 27 TIE Interceptors before they blow up the X-wings. That's right. 27 TIE Interceptors. The fastest and most maneuverable ship the enemy's got. In your Y-wing BOMBER.

You should try the one with the 3 hijacked X-wings. You warp in in a Y-wing and have to disable the 3 X-wings with your ion cannons. Then the friendly shuttles warp in and slowly make their way to the X-wings. Then a Star Destroyer warps in and you have to blow up 27 TIE Interceptors before they blow up the X-wings. That's right. 27 TIE Interceptors. The fastest and most maneuverable ship the enemy's got. In your Y-wing BOMBER.

Still casual compared to flying mission 1 of Tie fighter with those god awful shuttles that had a rear-firing turret.

sullynathan

Arcane
I booted up DMC3 after exactly 6 months to fight Vergil again. Man this guy is one of the best bosses I've ever fought even on normal difficulty. He killed me about 8 times before I got him again. Luckily enough I got my first S rank completion in DMC 3 while beating him, that's quite an achievement.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I abandoned my Dreamfall Chapters: FC playthrough last year. Decided to pick up from where I left. The game is still very slow paced and not very exciting. Hopefully, it picks up a little.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished Killer is Dead a really mediocre hack and slash game with a nonsensical animu story,bad cutscenes to gameplay ratio and a short length,not recommended.

Crichton

Prophet
There's nothing I love in RPGs quite like creating a party of my own adventurers. And until fairly recently I've shunned NPC tag-alongs to created parties like those found Wasteland 2, NWN2: Storm of Zehir or ToEE. However I've had a change of heart about mixed parties and I've recently experimented with creating parties around the NPCs; creating two based around the use of animal companions (a rather underutilized mechanism in my opinion). The idea started with Pillars during a conversation with Sagani about her family where she provides names for her husband and various children. I decided to make her the nucleus of a ranger-heavy party, creating a party of dwarves with four rangers, along with a chanter and priest to support them.

Pillars of Eternity: Naasitaq Shower Posse

Kallu- Chanter
Yakona - Priestess
Najuo - Ranger, warbow, wolf
Malaak - Ranger, warbow, wolf
Estuya - Ranger, hunting bow, wolf
Sagani - Ranger, hunting bow, arctic fox

This party has a tremendous amount of offense, particularly since buffs from the priestess (or even potentially the chanter) act on ten creatures rather than six. It can also neatly take advantage of the many wonderful bows in the world of Eora (Stormcaller, Persistence, etc); eventually one imagines that the best bows + driving flight + twin arrows will create a virtual hailstorm of death. The biggest downside so far is defense; the four animal companions do a great job of soaking up damage over the course of a dungeon since they don't have to worry about health but if they actually go down, they now suffer knock-out injuries (Sawyer!!!!!! :argh:) and for a single, tough opponent, they just don't have the staying power of a real "Tank" character. Kallu wears plate mail and he can try to help out in a pinch, but his crappy health/endurance numbers mean that he can't really bear the weight either. They're midway chapter 2 and so far, any fight with a doorway the wolves/fox can block off has gone pretty well. The hardest test was the teleporting ghost brigade in the Ondra's Gift lighthouse. It's cool just how differently this party plays when compared to a typical one-of-everything party but it will be interesting to see if they can handle some of the tougher encounters with their limited toolbox.

wyEYhsZ.jpg

Neverwinter Nights 2 Storm of Zehir: Six Dinosaurs of Death

Dinosaur animal companions were one of the primary marketing gimmicks for Storm of Zehir and the game includes one "cohort" (the druid) that has one by default and another (ranger) that can be upgraded to have one. This means that one can potentially have a party with six dinosaurs tagging along and conveniently, both of these cohorts are available in the starting area which means we can use the ranger as our overland map guide.

T'Challa - Cleric (Animal, Healing)
M'Baku - Cleric (Animal, Strength)
W'Kobi - Cleric (Animal, Strength)
Shuri - Druid
Umoja - Druid
Inshula - Ranger

In addition to the novelty of having so many animal companions, this party is actually pretty effective early on. Three clerics means many castings of "Hammer of the Gods" and for the early levels (party is currently level 10) the dinos are actually pretty effective fighters. Sadly while the clerics will grow stronger over time, the dinos will presumably be complete fodder eventually. There don't seem to be enough worthwhile party-wide buffing spells to help them; at the moment, recitation is the only one I use. The biggest problem for such a large party is the cramped conditions of your average SoZ indoor area. The ranger, like any non-spellcaster is also a liability long-term but in the long-term this is a party that will have five characters capable of casting storm of vengeance. Dinosaur companions or not, you can't go wrong with clerics in a D&D game.

QVF2GCk.jpg

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Still struggling to enjoy Pillars. I want to play it, damnit, but the game stubbornly refuses to be fun and remains boringly written and utterly unremarkable. There's something very unsatisfying about the entire first act, leveling up and the feats and spells you can pick from.

Even if you had just slapped a D&D 3.5 on it, it'd have been better. Much better -- it'd have forced a more interesting, less MMORPGy progression, and likely, more interesting items with a bit more of a less clinical style.

Unwanted

logan

Unwanted
I have beaten warcraft 1 orc campaign today

orc.jpg

Now i going to beat warcraft 2 and its expansion for the first time then i going to replay warcraft 3 and then beat the frozen throne for the first time,and then i going to play world of warcraft for the first time(in a private server,not going to pay monthly subscription).I also plan to do this in others series like: Heroes of might and magic,Might and magic,Command and Conquer,Warlords Battlecry,Diablo,Tomb raider,half life,fallout 1 to NV,kotor,final fantasy, and so on...

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Just finished Rance VI, it was a great ride and I cant wait for Rance Quest to be released.

Game has some faults, its a bit grindy and combat can get boring fast, but Rance is Rance so all is forgiven.

the_shadow

Arcane
Got a bit further in Beyond Divinity, and from what I've seen so far I can safely say it's far better than Divine Divinity. Less empty outdoor maps, a better driving central plot, decent side quests, a better system of resistances/vulnerability, a wider variety of weapons, and a better spell casting system. I haven't played Original Sin, but from what I understand there are a wide variety of arrow types in it, and this was drawn from Beyond Divinity. It's unbelievable this game got overlooked.

Finally finished this one last night.

Overall I enjoyed it. The art design is gorgeous, the music is decent, and while the story is rather linear there is still a measure of freedom to explore. I enjoyed the setting and story far more than the original Divine Divinity, and combat is more satisfying.

I can see why some people had issues with it, though. Controlling both the Death Knight and the PC is a bit of a teething process. It's certainly more linear the DD, and the skill system is horribly unbalanced, although the same could be said for the original. Bugs start to crop up in the last quarter of the game, especially with events that trigger too early or don't trigger at all. Considering I got the game for $2 on GOG I can't really complain.

sparq_beam

Lastly and on a more positive note, I finished Dark Forces. It was fine. Good sound effects, fun combat, interesting if sometimes obscure level design with some dodgy platforming sections. Nothing major, though. The hit detection can be a bit iffy as well but the game is old so it's to be expected. It was proper old-school Star Wars all the way through and I had a good time playing it.

Coincidentally I have also been playing Dark Forces. It gets the original Star Wars atmosphere just right. I really like the levels, even the more labyrinthine ones. Level 4 (the one in the secret base where you get the repeater) is one of my favorite levels across FPSs.

The funny thing is that the standard trooper blaster looks much better in Dark Forces than in DF2JK, because it's just a sprite and not the blocky 3D model:

BFAKI4a.png

BueKM8M.png

Monocause

Arcane
I've been playing MGS5 lately (got it on steam autumn sale I think). Enjoyed it tremendously for the first couple of hours as I haven't had the feel for the game's systems yet so was way more cautious with sneaking and doing crap than i ought to.

Around mission 10 I had it all figured out, and now I'm struggling to continue. I enjoy Kojima's story and find it refreshingly both deadpan and ridiculous, and there's something charming about referencing real-world places and events and coupling it together with zombies, SCIENCE! and giant walking mechs. That doesn't account for the fact that the core gameplay has become very samey - sneak around, take everyone down with tranq to the head, or sniper round to the head, do whatever you gotta do, get out. I know there's a fair few weapons there, but I don't feel challenged enough to really experiment. Might not find it in myself to finish it, especially since I've looked at YouTube a bit and from what I've seen from let's plays, it doesn't seem like a lot of variety gets introduced.

Another thing that ticked me off is the useless grind. Fultoning is real fun, don't get me wrong, but I've been harvesting troops like mad hoping it's going to enable cool/interesting stuff. 15 missions in, it doesn't seem like that will ever happen. I can develop better arms and armor, but what's the point if a silenced tranq pistol and a silenced sniper rifle always seem to get the job done.

Not sure what to pick up next. Might pick up PoE again as I enjoyed it but got really busy at work and stopped playing for a year pretty much, meaning I no longer remember crap.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
I'am still playing Underrail. Man, I wish it had normal plot and writting instead of "necceasry" one. It would be hell of a good game then, now it's only average as it can offer only some exploration (it wasn't much rewarding though), good combat and post-apo metro. There is literally no story, only quests. Now I am not even sure if I want to finish it. 20 hours in and it seems it will be the same to the very end. I could play thief instead.
Whatever, if went so deep in, may as well finish it.
:dealwithit:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom