Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

'Robot Cache - Brian Fargo's blockchain-based digital store that lets you resell games

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I hope this gets popular enough to have an interesting crash and burn. Because, let's face it, if it's just a massive failure from the start due to no-one using it, that's super predictable and not very interesting.

The only people who could do this with success would be Valve with Steam. If they offered 25% in Steam credit they would have floods of returns happening because of all the dogshit people end up with on Steam. That's why iit would work and it's also why they'd never do it.
The only way I imagine Valve even considering it is if in 5-10 years or whatever, they're actually losing their digital market dominance

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Piracy have only positive effect

I agree with everything else you said, and I'm not anti-piracy, but this is pure delusion. If piracy was eliminated, the people who bought would still buy and some of the pirates would fork out the cash or save up the cash to do so if that's their situation. Elimination of piracy would also make them a more precious commodity so people would be more motivated to make the effort and actually buy them.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I agree with everything else you said, and I'm not anti-piracy, but this is pure delusion. If piracy was eliminated, the people who bought would still buy and some of the pirates would fork out the cash or save up the cash to do so if that's their situation. Elimination of piracy would also make them a more precious commodity so people would be more motivated to make the effort and actually buy them.
This is impossible,i am talking about the real world not about ifs. Without piracy there will be a lot more rebellions in the world. Grey/shadow economy does have benefits and reasons to be kept going. The thing about saving money and buying is not accurate,people that will do this will go for games that give hours per buck and not some indie rpg,after all they can have maybe one or two games per year. Such people now buy games that they actually like and have pirated. Another thing is that most people will simply drink and eat the money than give them for games,i personally would rater go out drinking than be giving money for AAA. Another thing is that piracy is entry point for huge amount of young people,because it is free. They do acquiring some skills.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Welp...

https://gizmodo.com/the-eu-suppressed-a-300-page-study-that-found-piracy-do-1818629537

Cromwell

Arcane
So you debate about the validity of bitcoins and so on and so forth and reselling? What I got from there is that he uses one of the oldest tricks in the sales book, "consumer "sells back" but only gets store credit" - in the end (if it takes off) the end user only gets fucking store credit and the masses who use that store will mostl likely spend it there again (giving fargo and his goblins another cut). Even if you could cash out I would bet money on the fact that that would be a hassle which is linked to more anoying fees by paypal and so on.

Also, why should the developer get a cut? If I sell my old used car I also dont give 10 percent of the sales to the russian federation for my moskvitsch. In a normal world I should be allowed to resell my own fucking key for whatever the fuck amount I want, but I cant, and by using this already fucked up system to his own advantage and then telling me its good for the consumer somebody should kick the fucker in the balls.

Cromwell

Arcane
Also, why should the developer get a cut?
to get games on their platform early

I meant from a consumer perspective. If you use a marketplace to sell shit usually the place gets a cut, either a transaction fee, or a fee to use their space etc. But why would you as a consumer be ok with giving a cut for a gamesale which you already paid in full to the developer. The Dev doesnt provide a service for you regarding the resale. Allowing a digital resale of his stuff on a platform doesnt count since that should be possible from the start.

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I don't trust this, because of Brian Fargo. I also think this is doomed to fail since very few players will be willing to move off Steam.

But some of the concepts are interesting. One of the problems with any digital good is that it can be infinitely copied, so we end up with crappy DRM to try and prevent that. Blockchains could be use to allow producers to uniquely identify any digital good, which means we don't need DRM, we can resell or lend/borrow digital goods, and so on. That seems to be where we will be going in future.

Alex

Arcane
I hope this gets popular enough to have an interesting crash and burn. Because, let's face it, if it's just a massive failure from the start due to no-one using it, that's super predictable and not very interesting.

The only people who could do this with success would be Valve with Steam. If they offered 25% in Steam credit they would have floods of returns happening because of all the dogshit people end up with on Steam. That's why iit would work and it's also why they'd never do it.
The only way I imagine Valve even considering it is if in 5-10 years or whatever, they're actually losing their digital market dominance

I think the idea could work. In fact, I think the idea of re-selling your games might be strong enough to allow a new company to compete with Steam (although they would need a pretty good game library to begin with). The issue I see with this is that there is no reason for the re-selling to be done only with the site itself. If they allowed people to exchange games as they want, on the terms they want, I think it would stand to be a much bigger success.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron

I think the idea could work. In fact, I think the idea of re-selling your games might be strong enough to allow a new company to compete with Steam (although they would need a pretty good game library to begin with). The issue I see with this is that there is no reason for the re-selling to be done only with the site itself. If they allowed people to exchange games as they want, on the terms they want, I think it would stand to be a much bigger success.

It will most likely have a very small library and also I think the idea of having to deal with their shitty crypto currency rather than just getting store credit will put a lot of people off. I also think many people's good will for Fargo has run dry. The only strength is of course the return system, but even then, at only 25% it may not be enough to make many people venture away from Steam, where all their other games are. Still, I guess we'll see

PorkBarrellGuy

The issue I see with this is that there is no reason for the re-selling to be done only with the site itself. If they allowed people to exchange games as they want, on the terms they want, I think it would stand to be a much bigger success.

Honestly, this. Setting some arbitrary value in crypto for a game doesn't really make as much sense as letting players create the market values themselves via trading IMO.

ArchAngel

Arcane
What will happen if all the people just decide to dump their games there and nobody is buying?
That is not possible. Those that dump games will now have extra store credit and surely there will be games they want now from games others dumped.

PorkBarrellGuy

What will happen if all the people just decide to dump their games there and nobody is buying?
That is not possible. Those that dump games will now have extra store credit and surely there will be games they want now from games others dumped.
Or they will simply want the money and don't care about the games.
Except what are they going to do with some random cryptocurrency? I don't really see people making much money off of this, though I could be wrong.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Except what are they going to do with some random cryptocurrency? I don't really see people making much money off of this, though I could be wrong.
Yeah most people don't know and don't know abou cryptocurrencies. Unless they have some real money exchange it is doomed to fail or it will become darkweb hit.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
200w.gif

ArchAngel

Arcane
Well if Fargo can get enough people to start using his cryptocurrency to sell and buy stuff on that site, it will immediately make that currency valuable and wanted by others as well. That is probably his plan, this site is just a way to get to there.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Well if Fargo can get enough people to start using his cryptocurrency to sell and buy stuff on that site, it will immediately make that currency valuable and wanted by others as well. That is probably his plan, this site is just a way to get to there.

It has to succeed first. He won't attract games from any studios with their own platform, so no Valve, Blizzard, EA or Ubisoft games. They're not the world of course but they're big names.

I just can't see him mustering up a lot of interest from developers. I guess his best hope is to become an indie haven

ArchAngel

Arcane

It has to succeed first. He won't attract games from any studios with their own platform, so no Valve, Blizzard, EA or Ubisoft games. They're not the world of course but they're big names.

I just can't see him mustering up a lot of interest from developers. I guess his best hope is to become an indie haven
At start I guess they can sell games back to others that people sold to them. That is how I imagined it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom