Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy 15

damicore

Augur
They are certainly better than what we're getting nowasays, though I'm not that big of a fan, I prefer Amano's work as I said, which came before.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Haters gonna hate

ZSxoide.jpg

Machocruz

Arcane
That's what you get when the audience mainly sees games as escapism/wish fulfillment and demands that all characters be beautiful and/or "rugged" looking. And even the conception of what is sexy is limited to a few templates. Also because of artists and designers who don't actually observe the real world and the variety within, just copy other, also limited designers and styles. TV and film of course are guilty of this often, but are still way ahead of games when it comes to human representation. Hell, even Looney Tunes and Ralph Bakshi cartoons were.

Delterius

Arcane
That's what you get when the audience mainly sees games as escapism/wish fulfillment and demands that all characters be beautiful and/or "rugged" looking.
No you naive, ignorant fool.

All character designs are supposed to be appealing in some way. To call any one work 'wish fulfillment' just because its pretty is just silly.

FFXV's cast looks like a boyband because of its target demographic.

Last edited:

damicore

Augur
Amano's himself.
oh you mean the guy who draws one face in every character isn't 'generic'
Sameface or not is not a problem for me, I don't strive for realism after all. His art is quite unique when you compare it to what digital artists are doing nowadays and that's what I value.
Also, you just posted a screenshot from Stranger of Sword City, all the girls are sameface there, but the art lacks the expressiveness, uniqueness and sophistification of Amano's work.

Last edited:

damicore

Augur
Probably, but there's no better way to put it without writing a wall of text talking about art history.
btw, have you seen your avatar? The guy from FFT is the epitome of sameface.

Nathir

Liturgist
I don't like FF15 visuals, but I agree with damicore in general. Japan has some amazing artists and the west is only releasing shit nowadays when compared to the japs.

damicore

Augur
That's what you get when the audience mainly sees games as escapism/wish fulfillment and demands that all characters be beautiful and/or "rugged" looking. And even the conception of what is sexy is limited to a few templates. Also because of artists and designers who don't actually observe the real world and the variety within, just copy other, also limited designers and styles. TV and film of course are guilty of this often, but are still way ahead of games when it comes to human representation. Hell, even Looney Tunes and Ralph Bakshi cartoons were.

I'd say that's a problem with ffxiv (And off-topic: All western games released in the last 10-15 years), because I guess there must be some weebs that'd like to look like workers from a host club, but in the case of more stylized art like that of Akihiko Yoshida, Amano and Kaneko I don't think that applies. I don't think people would wish to look noseless or extremely stylized, we just like to look at beautiful shit.

Delterius

Arcane
Probably, but there's no better way to put it without writing a wall of text talking about art history.
okay this is a bit disappointing so I'll stop trolling

alright lets turn this ship around -- my current wallpaper is the full version of

0835df85ca19f87316f1aeecd90e5d65-780x410.jpg

Unwanted

MI.Tex

Unwanted
2018 is the year of 3 action rpgs for PC gamers

FF 15 in march
Dark Souls remaster in may
Monster hunter world in september

Dark Souls it is for me

Ash

Arcane
lel all are Japanese console games. Mind you western game design is dead anyways.

damicore

Augur
okay this is a bit disappointing so I'll stop trolling

alright lets turn this ship around -- my current wallpaper is the full version of

0835df85ca19f87316f1aeecd90e5d65-780x410.jpg
That's a great wallpaper, here's mine:
a9810239087b5c15a8cc34ce2cb0e5d2.jpg

You should try harder next time, though.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Sad but not surprised to read the game is an absolute piece of shit, according to cautiously trusted codex consensus.
Gameplay is less horrible than the previous two FFs, XII and XIII. It seems that they attempted to imitate Dragon's Dogma in many ways but failed. Thus, combat consists of a four-person party but you're stuck with the same four people and the three that aren't controlled by the player have little versatility. Those three have a few special skills they can use in combat, but it's reliant on a single party-wide bar filling up and nowhere near as interesting as DD's myriad skills. There are many enormous monsters as boss fights or optional hunts, but this is largely wasted since the game lacks the climbing and other interactivity found in Dragon's Dogma (which also means combat against smaller enemies is less interesting). The player-character (Noctis) can utilize all types of weapons but regardless you just hold down the attack button while occasionally pressing the dodge button or casting a spell. There are three elements that can be used to make spells, and items can be added for additional effects, but they all work more or less the same in combat except that certain enemies are weak to some elements and resistant to others. There is superficially a large Open World to explore, but really you simply drive the party's automobile (!) to the nearest spot on a road and then run a short distance to your destination, so there isn't much to overworld exploration. There are dungeons, but the ones you encounter in the normal course of a game (i.e. not counting post-game content) are more linear and less well-designed than those found in base Dragon's Dogma, and I'm sure that FF XV's post-game dungeons don't hold a candle to the Bitterblack Isle megadungeon added in the Dark Arisen expansion.

Certainly not anything worth playing.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The game is fun for a few hours when you're taking in the road trip atmosphere and the banter between the bros, driving to a mission area then riding out in the wilderness on your chocobos, then finding a camping spot to spend the night before heading back to the gas station. But it doesn't last, and the other aspects of the game (story, exploration) don't hold up over the game's length.

Any PCbros thinking of picking this up, wait for a heavy discount if you get it at all.

Machocruz

Arcane
That's what you get when the audience mainly sees games as escapism/wish fulfillment and demands that all characters be beautiful and/or "rugged" looking.

All character designs are supposed to be appealing in some way. To call any one work 'wish fulfillment' just because its pretty is just silly.

Weebs aren't in a position to argue about good art or character design. Neither are those in the western video game character design camp. I'm shitting on both of you for your lack of aesthetic development.

I said nothing about appeal, which is not tied to just appearance. TV and film, even illustration portray unattractive , idiosyncratic, or average looking people who are nonetheless appealing in other ways. And I'm not calling any ONE work wish fulfillment. The overall slant of character design in this industry is wish fulfillment. And very limited, very uninteresting wish fulfillment at that.

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane

Weebs aren't in a position to argue about good art or character design. Neither are those in the western video game character design camp. I'm shitting on both of you for your lack of aesthetic development.

I said nothing about appeal, which is not tied to just appearance. TV and film, even illustration portray unattractive , idiosyncratic, or average looking people who are nonetheless appealing in other ways. And I'm not calling any ONE work wish fulfillment. The overall slant of character design in this industry is wish fulfillment. And very limited, very uninteresting wish fulfillment at that.
Hey, if slavsquatting in post apocalyptic america where the 2nd ammendment is the law of the middle west steppes is some people's idea of wish fulfillment and empowerment I'm certainly not enough of a cunt to judge.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The game is fun for a few hours when you're taking in the road trip atmosphere and the banter between the bros, driving to a mission area then riding out in the wilderness on your chocobos, then finding a camping spot to spend the night before heading back to the gas station. But it doesn't last, and the other aspects of the game (story, exploration) don't hold up over the game's length.

Any PCbros thinking of picking this up, wait for a heavy discount if you get it at all.

Agree, I think your opinion is more precise than claiming the game is total shit. It is mediocre in most aspects but it's enjoyable for some hours.

Still I don't think I would recommend it for a high price.

damicore

Augur

I don't think you understand the point of stylization. Do you think art (and popular culture) should always portray life with realism? That's what cameras are for nowadays.

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
I don't think you understand the point of stylization. Do you think art (and popular culture) should always portray life with realism?
Absolutely not. These days I'd rather look at Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze than a DICE game. I didn't argue stylization vs. realism, which is a false dichotomy because realism in visual art is a broad category which can contain stylization. That's why Van Eyck doesn't look like Titian doesn't look like Rubens doesn't look like Goya. Style, personal interpretation of forms. But they all fall under the umbrella of realism (not to be confused with Realism as a movement). Like I'm not a fan, at all, of Photorealism or this so called "classical" painting being put out by modern ateliers.

And observing the wealth of varying physical types in real life does not conflict with stylization, or have you not seen any good caricature or cartooning? In fact, such observation only serves to strengthen ones ability to stylize. The more forms and types you know, the more you can play with types and forms. But people are taking shots at various games mentioned, and I'm saying what do you expect when you have limited artists or art directors designing for an audience who wants waifus/husbandos and David Borreanz clones 24/7?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom