Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones - a Lovecraftian Computer RPG

this game is freaking awesome! Can't wait to play it tonight!
At how well this game runs, I bet it can be ported on every platform.

Last edited:
Scrawled

The demo does not scale properly with 5:4 aspect aspect (specifically, 1280x1024 resolution) as a result of which the leftmost and rightmost parts of the screen cut off. This means that I cannot advance past the second screen of the game (after following the Dismal Man downstairs) as I literally cannot click on the screen's exit points.

Otherwise I am excited for the game, keep up the good work!

Prime Junta

Ctulhu is not a giant octopus. The descriptions of Old Ones in the Lovecraftian mythos tend to be along the lines of the mind trying to make sense of something it can't grasp. Ctulhu is simply too alien to describe accurately.

If a film were to be made where Ctulhu arrived and they tried to nuke it, the right way to do it would be if it became apparent that the wrong coordinates had inexplicably been input and they'd just wiped New York off the map - besides, the people involved had been having nightmares lately etc.

I believe the canonical view is that if you nuke Cthulhu, he'll reform in 15 minutes... but now he's radioactive.

Reference: in Call of Cthulhu, the half-mad sailor steers a freighter straight into him. It doesn't take long for him to reform.

Generally speaking, Lovecraftian creatures seem to fall into four categories: conventional, non-corporeal, transdimensional, and cosmic. Conventional critters include the Elder Ones, the Mi-Go, the shoggoth, the ghouls from Pickman's Model, and the conical critters that project through time. The colour out of space is non-corporeal. The strange vampirical things revealed by Tillinghast's device in From Beyond are transdimensional. The likes of Cthulhu, Nyarlathotep, Shub-Niggurath, and Azathoth are cosmic creatures. Conventional creatures are killable, although often extremely hard to kill. Non-corporeal creatures might be, but we have no idea how we'd go about it -- conventional weapons would certainly not work against them. Transdimensional creatures would probably be killable but you'd have to reach their dimension first, and we wouldn't know how to do that. And cosmic creatures are effectively godlike in power; any corporeal form they might take is more like an avatar than the creature itself, or else so vast in size that you might as well attempt to kill a star, or a black hole.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
If Cthulhu wakes up, the world ends. It is simple. No need to think about nuking anything.

The mere attempt of trying to categorize cosmic horror shows complete lack of understanding of what is "Lovecraftian". It is the fear of the unknown and unknowable. That is the whole god damn point of it.

Prime Junta

The mere attempt of trying to categorize cosmic horror shows complete lack of understanding of what is "Lovecraftian". It is the fear of the unknown and unknowable. That is the whole god damn point of it.

That's drastically reductive of Lovecraft's work. Sure, some of his stories were based on just that -- the Colour out of Space, From Beyond, The Lurker in Darkness for example. Others however were not: At the Mountains of Madness wasn't about fear of the unknown, it was about isolation, the thrill of discovery, existential dread -- what happened to the Elder Ones will eventually happen to us -- and eventually simple physical terror of being pursued by shoggoths. Pickman's ghouls weren't about the terror of the unknown and unknowable, they were about being creeped out by gross monsters chomping on rotting corpses. Herbert West: Reanimator likewise. The Rats in the Walls was about degeneracy, guilt, and madness. And so on and so forth.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Re: the idea of Lovecraft being about the unknowable. The Mythos' most iconic story, The Call of Cthulhu, is basically a kind of by-the-numbers detective procedural that methodically reviews the evidence for the Cthulhu cult. In fact pretty much all the most famous Lovecraftian stories are about investigators.

The stories that are thoroughly weird and unexplained, like The Music of Erich Zann or The Evil Clergyman - less famous.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Re: the idea of Lovecraft being about the unknowable. The Mythos' most iconic story, The Call of Cthulhu, is basically a kind of by-the-numbers detective procedural that methodically reviews the evidence for the Cthulhu cult. In fact pretty much all the most famous Lovecraftian stories are about investigators.

Yes? Obviously. What would be a better combination, investigative mind trying to investigate something that cannot quite be explained. Yet in the end even the most brilliant scholar or successful detective will be left with unanswered questions/insanity. It adds to the futility of it all.

That's drastically reductive of Lovecraft's work.

I don't even know why I have to explain this, but Lovecraft's works != "Lovecraftian". Yes, he wrote poems, letters, philosophical works, scientific writings etc. as well. And yes, there are other prevalent themes as well, such as racism(!).

Prime Junta

I don't even know why I have to explain this, but Lovecraft's works != "Lovecraftian". Yes, he wrote poems, letters, philosophical works, scientific writings etc. as well. And yes, there are other prevalent themes as well, such as racism(!).

the fuck is this I don't even

Nobody's talking about his letters, poems, philosophical works, or scientific writings. We're talking about the core of his published fiction.

A lot of it just doesn't fit your simplistic idea of it being only or even mainly about fear of the unknown or unknowable. If Call of Cthulhu, At the Mountains of Madness, The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, and Shadow over Innsmouth don't qualify as Lovecraftian then you have a very peculiar definition for it.

If I had to condense "Lovecraftian" into a simple definition, I would say it's about the horrific realisation that humans and humanity are not at the centre of the Universe or indeed in any way important at all. That compared to beings that have come before us, will come after us, and still exist everywhere around us in the greater Cosmos we are utterly insignificant; that none of those godlike powers or incredibly advanced beings give the tiniest shit about us, except perhaps to the extent an entomologist gives a shit about a bug under his microscope. So Lovecraftian cosmic horror isn't about the unknowable, it's about how tiny, puny, short-lived and stupid we are.

This was pretty radical in a context where Christianity with its idea of Man as the living image of God and the crown of Creation was still the dominant mode of thought, much less so now as even Christians will have been exposed to modes of thought that don't put humans at the centre of everything.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
If Cthulhu wakes up, the world ends. It is simple. No need to think about nuking anything.

Undercover cultist detected! Nuke it for orbit!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
All right, animations are looking faster. Pretty reasonable download size too.

Too bad I might be receiving Tyranny later this week or next so I'm going to have to wait to see how the bandwidth situation is.

Just finished the demo it's like 2 hours long (and I took my time reading and exploring all I could) and I though it was pretty good that being said I hope you like loading screens

Completed it with a Criminal guy and now gonna try it again with a Explorer guy AND I'M GONNA KEEP GOING THROUGH ALL THE ARCHETYPES

IT'S AGE OF DECADENCE ALL OVER AGAIN AND NO ONE IS GETTING OUT ALIVE

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Damn that was good. I do think it could've used less successive battles in the bank part, though. Really tempted to try it again with another archetype other than Investigator, but I'll hold off until I get the game proper. Clicking to get past every loading screen is a chore that's only going to get worse as you play more and more.

Can't wait for the complaints that people can't read those handwritten notes. :salute:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Any button will do, but loadings are basically instant yet every area transition is accompanied by one.

Jinn

Arcane
I do think it could've used less successive battles in the bank part, though.

This beat em' up hallway of battles was my main issue with the backer demo too. Kind of dissapointed they haven't taken such critiques into consideration for the release of the public demo, but the rest is such incline my hopes remain high for this beautiful game.

Kaivokz

Arcane
Really liking the character creation--interesting choices that other games don't have. Some tooltips might be helpful on the Archetype screen to eliminate the need to flip back and forth to assess your options. The stat page is very easy to read. It's useful that related skills are highlighted when mousing over attributes, skills, and their derived values. The UI seems to have been designed with care--I approve.

I tried a rational academic:researcher with 10 mind & will w/ all points in science/occult/medicine for the demo, I only started with one spell that debuffed enemies, but the outsider + the devil spaniard were more than enough to clear the bank. Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to craft anything? Is "research" implemented yet? So I didn't get to test that out, unfortunately, to see if I could craft enough booze/drugs/etc. to counteract bad combat stats.

Spells also seem pretty interesting with various "complications" and so on, but might make it difficult to know what sort of character would be a good spell caster (e.g. if all the good damage spells have negative effects for low agility, and so on).

I'll buy it.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I do think it could've used less successive battles in the bank part, though.

This beat em' up hallway of battles was my main issue with the backer demo too.

I just hope it's a singular example of early design and not something that will remain a constant throughout the game because it will seriously impact the flow of "dungeons" if it is. Maybe we can get some dev comments.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It really doesn't help the tediousness of the battles that the animations are slow as shit. Otherwise the game looks pretty solid, the skill based dialogue options in particular.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom