Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
They've been clutching that release date information like the last virgin on Earth, so I don't think that "definitely gonna release in March!" thing is accurate anymore. The beta has only seen 2 major builds. Not to mention that nobody in here is talking about the beta, what gives? I also can't find a way to pirate the beta for some reason, so even I can't check it out, sooo.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
FYI Ulfhednar is referring to the end of the second video posted by Quillon, where Katrina says the game is releasing in Spring. That's not an exact date but it's something.

She also talks a bit about what Obsidian are improving in the game now (speed and recovery times), it's not as worthless as the first video.

Ulfhednar

Savant
I've assumed for quite some time that the release date was later than March, but this is first time I've heard them say something that officially confirmed that assumption.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The release window is still the first half of 2018 so they're still basically on track. Always seemed weird to me that they committed to a specific month so early on anyway.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I could provide more feedback here when I get better, but I want another update or two first.

Combat still needs to be slower. I want slow mode, don't care what the devs say. Slow mode in combat, fast mode while exploring. There are many strong builds as long as you're not a caster. Casters are boring.
I'm undecided on the penetration system. It needs some tweaks.
I miss my 6th character. Same complaints as before for me.

Lacrymas

Arcane
There's literally zero reason not to include slow mode. I'd even make it a scale, so everyone can tweak the speed however they wish.

Ulfhednar

Savant
The biggest addition this update is the customizable AI, and as excited as I am to use it for a long campaign where I can tweak all my preferences throughout the game, I just can't seem to find motivation for fiddling with it for the two or three content areas in the beta.

The one single-class caster that I really enjoyed playing was a Nature Godlike evoker focused on the Minoletta series coupled with self-buffs like Eldritch aim, DAoM and Merciless Gaze. The bonus power levels from single class and the +2 from Nature Godlike give you a lot of extra missiles.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The biggest advantage of the customizable AI for me is the automation of always-used spells, that's how I used it in DA:O as well. I.e. basically just a QoL feature. I usually respond to situations on a case-by-case basis, so I can't put "drink health potion at 25% health" because some mobs might do more than that in a single hit, so I manually use them. That's why the pause button is there. People might say "just use the potion manually when you want to and put the AI to use it at 25% health", while it's true I don't want to get used to the AI using it for me, I might not remember to use it if 90% of the time it's automatic.

Ulfhednar

Savant
I mostly want it for the first 5-10 sec of a fight so it can do all of the tedious autocasting/buffing that takes so much clicking at the start of every fight, even with hotkeys. I always completely disable the AI for tough fights, or halfway through if things are not going as expected.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Maybe it's March, maybe it's April, the real question is whether to bother touching it on launch or wait for inevitable barrage of patches

Lacrymas

Arcane
While my answer is always "wait for the inevitable patches", I won't be able to resist this time and will try it day 1. I'll stop the moment I get annoyed at something that feels unjustifiably unfinished or buggy, though.

jungl

Augur
All they been doing these past months is fiddling with numbers for classes and the combat system. The game is already feature complete. This could launch in march if they aren't lazy fucks.

Ulfhednar

Savant
Maybe it could release in March... but given the current state of the beta, I don't think it should. If they hadn't changed everything from PoE 3.0, I would say March is reasonable.

Jinn

Arcane
I hope they just release it completed this time. I'm also someone who disliked PoE 1.0 a fair amount, but retried it with The White March and 3.0 and enjoyed it quite a bit. I want it to release however long it takes to polish.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom