Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy 15

Hyperion

Arcane
The characters being clad in more leather than a Judas Priest concert is the least of the game's problems. Talented modders giving them classic FF class outfits, and Cindy a perfectly trimmed landing strip (or expose her pubes at the top of her jorts for those who like that sorta thing) will solve nothing for the game's fetch quest grind, awful storytelling, and Assassin's Creed-esque shit combat. This is also forgetting the fact it's a walking simulator only Bethesda can top in its banal execution.

Unless Squeenix goes the route of Hollywood, and scales back their obscene production values (they won't) and makes standout films like John Wick 1 and Dredd 3D the norm instead of the exception, they're dead and buried. Naoki Yoshida can only do so much for the company until he collapses from exhaustion. Or gives himself an ulcer and shits blood, like Yasunori Mitsuda when he wrote the Chrono Trigger OST. And it's obvious from the surge of kickstarters and low production games we've seen that Indie developers don't even know what made JRPG's great back in the 90's even though they love to name drop their favorite games like it's going out of style.

You'd think with how fucking bad 90% of WRPG's have been for the last 10 years, JRPG developers would try NOT to copy their awful systems, and just go with aping the aesthetic instead. It's not like the dregs who lap up Bioware games understand what good gameplay is anyway, just make it nice and shiny and give one character an ambiguous haircut and they'll flock to it.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
PC version will be released on March 6th, along with "Royal Edition" for consoles: https://www.rpgsite.net/news/6573-f...edition-and-windows-edition-launch-on-march-6

https://www.finalfantasyxv.com/en/windows-edition

- $49.99
- Mod support is confirmed.
- Benchmark is coming in February 1st.
- System requirements:

uUNrv5s.png

Ash

Arcane
Sad but not surprised to read the game is an absolute piece of shit, according to cautiously trusted codex consensus. Comparisons to Ass Creed gameplay and claims of it being an amalgamation of the past decade's pop culture trends is the nail in the fucking coffin.

Meanwhile I just beat FF8 with the Requiem mod. Holy shit if you thought the grindyness was bad in vanilla...but nonetheless the mod fixes some issues with the game, and if you're returning the mod's probably a must-have regardless to increase challenge, especially when considering the existence of emulator save states.
Overall FF8's not a bad game, far from it, just a bit of a failed attempt to innovate gameplay-wise sometimes, and the story is a bit insane yet still an example of diverse 90s creativity and fun in that typical campy Japanese way. GF system is p. cool, refining items, triple triad, there's some genuinely fun gameplay innovations in there. The junction system works pretty well with the mod too. The game's very challenging to the point that you HAVE to use magic unlike vanilla, so it's a constant decisive juggle of keeping your stats up vs using magic to aid you in battle. Yet drawing magic, yeah that's still fucking awful.
I'm really enjoying these Final Fantasy mods for the pre-decline era of the series. They fullfill or come close to fulfilling the gameplay of these games. And honestly the gameplay of the series is a little underrated. I wouldn't call it top tier stuff but there's numerous rewarding systems to manage, fun puzzles and mini games (sometimes. Other times they can be downright sadistic), fun exploration, and while the combat ain't great, mainly due to being a touch easy and attack spam usually doing the trick, the various mods out there really help in that regard.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, FF VIII was okay for me, but not great. Like you wrote, many innovations, but only a few were good. Some awesome moments, good graphics, amazing cinematics and sound for that time. But the story was a mess and characters were not really likable.

Regarding game mechanics, I really regret Squaresoft never came back to the Materia system from FF VII. Thought it was a pretty awesome system, enjoyed it (and the rest of FF VII) a lot.

Perkel

Arcane
I am surprised that they didn't drop all support from game. But i guess this is where FF16 will be going and FF15 is just sort of working project to nail down everything before starting production on FF16 so when FF16 will be released everything will be in tech, multiplayer and other stuff.

That being said i would scream like fangirl if they would make FF9 style FF with humor instead of whatever FF15 is.

That reminds me. The Last Story is VERY similar to FF15
You play as dude which has few buddies and mid game you actually marry princess and you fight invading kingdom.

Same premise but completely different execution and it works waaaay better. While game itself isn't really that great (it is still good game) it kind of shows that Sakaguchi still has it. He knows full well that humor is also part of what made FF an FF game while new directors treat FF games and characters as super serious people. Whatever FF13 or FF15 everything in it doesn't have even a bit of humor outside of gag content like noodle cap or moogles or black guy with poor jokes, everything feels forced rather than being natural.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Based on what i have been hearing, i am not hyped really

-mediocre to straight up awful writing
-repetitive gameplay and easy combat with little depth
-fetch quest everywhere
-pretty world, but barely any interaction

So pretty much like most square enix developed games in 21st century.

Meanwhile small studios like falcom keep delivering quality products after quality produCts that are low budget, but very competently made

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Other issues aside, I can't take a game seriously when its principals all look like runway fashion-disaster store mannequins to such a degree that flamboyantly gay Europeans appear 100% heterosexual by comparison.

Chinese RPGs have always had wacky spiky hair and fashions, and I understand that these designs represent the current high fashion in Tokyo... but I'm an American male, and sometimes enough is enough.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Pricing will be a detriment on PC and they're just doing it for the sake of console parity with the Royal Edition. Disappointed.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have no interest in buying this, but as I have said other times: If the title is modder friendly, it could do decent numbers on PC.

Ash

Arcane
Well, FF VIII was okay for me, but not great. Like you wrote, many innovations, but only a few were good. Some awesome moments, good graphics, amazing cinematics and sound for that time. But the story was a mess and characters were not really likable.

Regarding game mechanics, I really regret Squaresoft never came back to the Materia system from FF VII. Thought it was a pretty awesome system, enjoyed it (and the rest of FF VII) a lot.

I replayed FF7 recently, also with a mod to fix the difficulty and make the gameplay experience more wholesome. I thought the materia system was cool before, but with the mod where strategy matters a lot more I found it to be fucking awesome. I highly recommend checking it out: Final Fantasy 7: Hardtype
Pretty well done mod with few flaws, and the level of challenge is very reasonable, arguably unlike requiem for FF8.

damicore

Augur
Other issues aside, I can't take a game seriously when its principals all look like runway fashion-disaster store mannequins to such a degree that flamboyantly gay Europeans appear 100% heterosexual by comparison.

Chinese RPGs have always had wacky spiky hair and fashions, and I understand that these designs represent the current high fashion in Tokyo... but I'm an American male, and sometimes enough is enough.

I'd much rather have this:

maxresdefault.jpg

than this:

icon.800xauto.jpg

I don't know, it might be because I've always been a weeb but western devs should start hiring some other people to do their designs because all their designs look like shit to me. It's not like the east does anything brilliant, mind you, and ffxv's cast do look like a bunch of strippers (instead of something that Amano could have conceived), but i'd rather have Noctis over Scott Sheppard, who looks like a fucking Chad, any way of the week.
Japan at least has Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma. The west hasn't put out interesting artwork or art direction since the fallout 1 or 2 and mtg early sets, before they homogenized their art and made it look rather generic.

Hyperion

Arcane
Witcher 2 Geralt looked much better than in 3. I'd say most characters look better in TW2 than their Witcher 3 counterparts, actually. Let's not even go into TW1, as Geralt looks like Kain from Soul Reaver, if he had Down Syndrome. But, to pick Noctis and friends over any 3 renditions of Geralt is lunacy. Geralt actually looks like a human from his time period. FFXV's cast of characters were literally modeled after a "host club," or a female wish fulfillment bar. Is there a target demographic for that outside of female Tokyo residents aged 14 - 25?

If you're going to use Japan as an example for good art, at least pick games like Stranger of Sword City, or anything from Vanillaware, not this godawful pile of shit.

damicore

Augur
Nah, that looks generic like generic weeb digital illustration. If I want good art I'd look for Kaneko's art or Amano's himself.
The problem with the new guys in the industry is they look up to other guys working in the industry, rather than looking up to artists. Amano and Kaneko are much more expressive in their art than anyone working in the west.

Witcher 2 Geralt looked much better than in 3. I'd say most characters look better in TW2 than their Witcher 3 counterparts, actually. Let's not even go into TW1, as Geralt looks like Kain from Soul Reaver, if he had Down Syndrome. But, to pick Noctis and friends over any 3 renditions of Geralt is lunacy. Geralt actually looks like a human from his time period. FFXV's cast of characters were literally modeled after a "host club," or a female wish fulfillment bar. Is there a target demographic for that outside of female Tokyo residents aged 14 - 25?

If you're going to use Japan as an example for good art, at least pick games like Stranger of Sword City, or anything from Vanillaware, not this godawful pile of shit.

I didn't know how to say host club, that's why I said they look like a bunch of strippers. The thing is, FFXV's artwork and character designs are really mediocre, but I prefer them over the witcher's, mass effect, ass creed or whatever games the west has been puting out lately, where characters look straight out from the fast and the furious.

All I want a game that looks like this damn it:
dcd82e06a276d5311939eba79cc3ffdb.jpg

I'm sorry to break it to you Amanofan61_xXx but you're just a weaboo.

it might be because I've always been a weeb

Can't insert multiple quotes, sorry.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Japanese RPG character designs peaked at Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics, and you damned well know it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom