Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Visual immersion in RPG UIs - should RPGs hide numbers?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 16721
  • Start date

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
For Saving Throws in BG, descriptions from Useless to Legendary. Then if you hover over them, you can see the exact numbers. That is information that while important, is not utterly crucial that you know at all times that you have a 6 in Save vs. Wand and a 7 in Save vs. Breath.

For UIs in general, I just think they need to look more interesting and game-specific. A journal for quests should look like a journal (Morrowind), but have advanced features for you to search it, make notations of your own, etc.. An inventory UI should have some flavor related to the game lore, and in an RPG should look like some RPG-thing (weathered parchment, whatever.)

Skyrim is an example of how to do a terribly unimmersive UI. Ironically, the Perk Chart is a step in the right direction, not perfect, but at least shows they almost tried to make an interesting RPG UI related to the game lore. Your UI should look less like a spreadsheet or white-on-black with boring visuals and look more like something from the actual lore of the game world you are playing in.

Finally, ELEX in terms of health bar. I use health bars over portraits in BG and I like ELEX's health bar. There is no need to know if I have 725/800 HP when a visual representation will work. It's more immersive, but also, you can make the health indicators lore-specific as well. ELEX didn't really do that, but the health bar in ELEX could easily have been some mechanical-looking thing from the Adjutor (ELEX's Pip-Boy.) Maybe the Adjutor could have a holographic indicator showing you how healthy you currently are, or some such thing. Even descriptive text would be cool IMO, as it could tell you "Emergency! Seek immediate medical attention!" or whatever. Diablo had health "bars" that looked like potion bottles, and it was pretty fitting and cool at the time (for mana especially.)

I'd like to see skill numbers start to have the same descriptive text as my saving throws example eventually. Does it matter if I have a 52 in Pick Locks, vs. a 68? Sure, a few extra chests might open, but what do those numbers actually tell me? Descriptive text saying your Pick Locks skill is "Good" would accomplish the same and be nicer to look at. And if you hover over Good, you can see the exact number in a pop-up tip, but also a description that says "You are able to pick enough locks that you'd give a halfling rogue a good run for their money" or something, again related to the game lore. See Planescape: Torment for a great example of that (character sheet scores for STR, INT, etc. have descriptions that tell you just how impressive your skills are getting, with 25 actually being Godlike, with interesting descriptions, etc..)
I generally agree, but...
Why not both?

Archery:
58 - Good
Dodge:
65 - Very Good

Having only single numbers doesn't tell you how good a single value is without RTFM, but having only a visual representation in words doesn't tell you anything about the math involved in raising them.
If values are in the lower range (say 0-10), they can be represented in bars, combining both:

Archery:
Dodge:

Trying to hide the math behind a game too much will only result in dumbing down, though.

Any game that has a DPS number should be buried in the desert with that ET game. Or restricted to console. :eek:
Why? It is basically the most important value of most weapons (if they do not have other properties like stunning, etc).
Of course, it only makes sense if there is such a thing as varying attack speed. And I have seen it in games where there isn't, making completely redundant.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Why not both?

Because herp derp pretty much. There's no point in discussing anything with an agent of decline.
He can't even figure out how dumping a range between 52 and 68 into one single description ("good") is either completely retarded or means that there was no point in those numbers in the first place.

If values are in the lower range (say 0-10), they can be represented in bars, combining both:
Why would you even do that? Even if it's just 10, you end up counting bars instead of seeing a number which immediately tells you what you need to know.

As someone said above, it's just an irrational fear of numbers.
There's a difference between having a UI that fits the game visually, I'm all for that instead of the modern, sterilized shit like we get today (also known as "design" by hipster fags) and going full retard and changing all numbers to visual cues because your little shit brain has to be immersed in the "experience".

Take, say, Fallout as an example. UI fits perfectly with the game, and you get to see all the numbers needed.
scr00006.jpg

:salute:

Still unbeaten in usability, what with today's obsession with the above mentioned sterile "design" and splitting everything into tabs and sub-tabs even when you barely have information at all.
And no fucking bars and replacing numbers with words would make that any better.

Elex

Arbiter
it’s not about visible or not visible stat.

it’s about comprensive mechanics or pointless descrption and ui.

on elex for example there is no real need of complete stat description: because enemy don’t level up and you can easily figure how much they hurt you and how much you hurt them.

the problem in elex is when the game try to explain certain skill or show some stat and it’s all wrong and nosense.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Of course.
But it exists and you can either acknowledge it and find workarounds without compromising mechanics or you ignore it, pushing people away for no reason, really.

I mean, hell, even I am discouraged when I look at games and they look like a friggin' spreadsheet.
And I doubt that too many software developers have an aversion to numbers :lol:

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Why not both?

Because herp derp pretty much. There's no point in discussing anything with an agent of decline.
He can't even figure out how dumping a range between 52 and 68 into one single description ("good") is either completely retarded or means that there was no point in those numbers in the first place.

Why would you even do that? Even if it's just 10, you end up counting bars instead of seeing a number which immediately tells you what you need to know.

There's a difference between having a UI that fits the game visually, I'm all for that instead of the modern, sterilized shit like we get today (also known as "design" by hipster fags) and going full retard and changing all numbers to visual cues because your little shit brain has to be immersed in the "experience".

Take, say, Fallout as an example. UI fits perfectly with the game, and you get to see all the numbers needed.
scr00006.jpg

Still unbeaten in usability, what with today's obsession with the above mentioned sterile "design" and splitting everything into tabs and sub-tabs even when you barely have information at all.
And no fucking bars and replacing numbers with words would make that any better.

Played through this again recently and was surprised at how informational the UI is. With newer sfall using autodoors script/companions script that lets you hotkey having them pickup loot & tell them to get out of your way it didn't feel dated at all.

d1nolore

Savant
Any game that has a DPS number should be buried in the desert with that ET game. Or restricted to console. :eek:
Why? It is basically the most important value of most weapons (if they do not have other properties like stunning, etc).
Of course, it only makes sense if there is such a thing as varying attack speed. And I have seen it in games where there isn't, making completely redundant.

Because it reduces you to looking at a number. No longer are you looking at the weapon, seeing its damage/speed/extra bonuses and weighing up if you want to use the longsword or the magical short sword, its all been reduced to a number; Look at DPS, switch weapon, DPS goes up, move on. I know the game is all just 1's and 0's but to get immersed into the game I rather look at the visual representation of items and weigh up the stats to make a decision. A DPS calculator makes the decision for you. Its common in MMO's where item progression is extremely linear and players goals are generally just to level up their characters watching numbers gradually increase on a character sheet which is a strange hijacking of the human reward system.

PEACH

Arbiter
More numbers will always be better and razor sharp mechanical transparency should always be strived for

I don't see how a dopey concept like rating skills in vague terms ie. "Good", "Very Good" and hiding numerical values is any more immersive and I definitely don't think opting out of a fully transparent system for the sake of broad strokes would make any game more enjoyable. Especially when contrasted with the downsides of imprecision or the fact that a well defined system is significantly more important than LARP style escapism

It all reminds me of those hippie private schools where grades are too oppressive so they score tests based on the colour of your psychic aura instead.

At the end of the day some idyllic concept of immersion that's shaken only by math is retarded. How health bars, key prompts, UI/inventory in general etc don't clue you into the fact that you're not part of the game before a horrible number rears its head is beyond me.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron

Because it reduces you to looking at a number. No longer are you looking at the weapon, seeing its damage/speed/extra bonuses and weighing up if you want to use the longsword or the magical short sword, its all been reduced to a number; Look at DPS, switch weapon, DPS goes up, move on.
It IS a number! It is what it all comes down to, like it or not. If the DPS is higher, the weapon is better. It's simple logic.

I know the game is all just 1's and 0's but to get immersed into the game I rather look at the visual representation of items and weigh up the stats to make a decision.
Well... that is highly subjective, though. Immersion for me doesn't have shit to do with DPS or not.

A DPS calculator makes the decision for you.
Wrong. It just makes the logical decision more obvious.
If you had chosen differently without the DPS being explicitly displayed, you either suck at basic maths, logic or are a filthy LARPer.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Playing goldbox right now and have to say it is very cool having an actual handbook to reference.

Ranges, sizes, clearances needed, damage ranges by wielder size, and weapons that fit specific situations or encounters. There hasn't been much better than these games. GBC is still updated to this day. There is some magic in these games that is sorely lacking from the vast majority of RPGs in the last 15 years.

Elex

Arbiter

Because it reduces you to looking at a number. No longer are you looking at the weapon, seeing its damage/speed/extra bonuses and weighing up if you want to use the longsword or the magical short sword, its all been reduced to a number; Look at DPS, switch weapon, DPS goes up, move on. I know the game is all just 1's and 0's but to get immersed into the game I rather look at the visual representation of items and weigh up the stats to make a decision. A DPS calculator makes the decision for you. Its common in MMO's where item progression is extremely linear and players goals are generally just to level up their characters watching numbers gradually increase on a character sheet which is a strange hijacking of the human reward system.
in mmorpg the UI and item descrption have litterally ZERO use.

that because they never show what is the best equipment for a certain build or a certain boss.

mmorpg are the kingdom of simulationcraft and theorycraft exactly because pages and pages of in game item descrption/skill deecrption are pointless, inaccurate and simply wrong and players need to use external tool and dummy for test build and equip.

Deleted Member 16721

Why not both?

scr00006.jpg

This post is so shit I don't know where to start.

First off, 52 vs. 68 would not both be Good. 52 would be Average, 68 would be Good bordering on Very Good. You took that out of context. And if you hovered over them you could see the exact number, and a text description of what the text actually means. I.e. "Legendary" - "Your skills with picking locks are among the greatest rogues known in The Realms. There aren't many locks, if any, that could stifle your tremendous skill." Blah blah. Much cooler to see than just a "102" number rating.

Second, as much as I love and respect OG CRPGs, that UI can be greatly improved. Too many percentages, too many numbers that amount to near-meaninglessness to look at. The skill percentages are hideous to look at. I.e. Who cares if my Gambling skill is 27%? That's not rewarding nor interesting in any sense. If you raise it 3% on level up, ooh, now it's 30%! Boring as hell and not rewarding, and if I'm not mistaken a certain J Sawyer got lambasted for having those tiny percentage increases in his rule system for PoE (which I have to agree with, those types of tiny increases in percentages are simply not rewarding from a psychological standpoint.)

Do I really need lines of text telling me scores in 3 separate Resistances? No. It could be made into a simple triangular graph, with each point of the triangle representing Radiation, Poison, Damage. The inside of the graph would be pullled further toward each point depending on how high level you are in each resistance, just like the example I posted earlier of the NBA 2K screenshot.

And keep in mind these are quick brainstorming ideas in terms of the examples I'm giving. I'm not paid to do this and I'm not putting a ton of effort into these basic examples, just enough to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. UIs can be greatly improved and the shit we're seeing today that are sterile, lifeless spreadsheets or the equivalent to looking like options menu are decline of the highest order. Numbers are good and RPGs should have complex pen-and-paper rule systems, but we don't need to see every minute number in a giant mass of math that most of it is simply not necessary to see at all times, nor interesting visually to look at.

Last edited by a moderator:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Second, as much as I love and respect OG CRPGs, that UI can be greatly improved. Too many percentages, too many numbers that amount to near-meaninglessness to look at. The skill percentages are hideous to look at. I.e. Who cares if my Gambling skill is 27%? That's not rewarding nor interesting in any sense. If you raise it 3% on level up, ooh, now it's 30%! Boring as hell and not rewarding.

Someone does not understand percentages, I guess. Maths ees ebulz? If 27% Gambling skill is not interesting to you, it merely means you do not have sufficient mental qualities to comprehend that it translates into "usccessful in slightly more than 1 in 4 gambling attempts". But that is your problem, not that of :obviously: people.

Now, I could potentially agree that having additional descriptors serving to anchor you to the world around you, such as:

Your skills with picking locks are among the greatest rogues known in The Realms. There aren't many locks, if any, that could stifle your tremendous skill.

could help with immersion and be nice. But these ought to be in addition to any numbers, perhaps accessed through hovering your mouse over the number.

Deleted Member 16721

Second, as much as I love and respect OG CRPGs, that UI can be greatly improved. Too many percentages, too many numbers that amount to near-meaninglessness to look at. The skill percentages are hideous to look at. I.e. Who cares if my Gambling skill is 27%? That's not rewarding nor interesting in any sense. If you raise it 3% on level up, ooh, now it's 30%! Boring as hell and not rewarding.

Someone does not understand percentages, I guess. Maths ees ebulz? If 27% Gambling skill is not interesting to you, it merely means you do not have sufficient mental qualities to comprehend that it translates into "usccessful in slightly more than 1 in 4 gambling attempts". But that is your problem, not that of :obviously: people.

Someone doesn't have reading comprehension, I guess. It has nothing to do with percentages being in the game, it's about looking at something more interesting than a list of percentages.

Not enough awesome buttons for you, right
Only if the Awesome Button makes the game nerdier, more hardcore CRPG and pen-and-paper style, then sure, more Awesome Buttons please. :positive:

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted Member 16721

Playing goldbox right now and have to say it is very cool having an actual handbook to reference.

Ranges, sizes, clearances needed, damage ranges by wielder size, and weapons that fit specific situations or encounters. There hasn't been much better than these games. GBC is still updated to this day. There is some magic in these games that is sorely lacking from the vast majority of RPGs in the last 15 years.

That sounds awesome. Can't wait to start my GBC playthrough soon. Just undertook a BG:EET run, though, so it's going to be a (long) while...

Random thought. What if a CRPG added in-game, lore-friendly handbooks right in the game itself? I think CRPGs in general are missing so many good feature opportunities. Comprehensive, handmade Bestiaries that fill out as you gain experience fighting monsters. Different in-game reference materials, such as books detailing how to handle certain combat with advanced creatures (like Skyrim's book about Troll hunting but taken to actual meaningful levels.) There's a lot of cool stuff like that that could be done. But an in-game guidebook could be interesting, maybe?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
FO skills percentages were always a bit mystifying to me, probably because i never played GURPS.

percentages that go over 100%... ok fine, but what's 100% for, a 30 year career doctor? What does it mean.

The answer, like many things in computers seems to be 'nothing'.

Codex Year of the Donut
FO skills percentages were always a bit mystifying to me, probably because i never played GURPS.

percentages that go over 100%... ok fine, but what's 100% for, a 30 year career doctor? What does it mean.

The answer, like many things in computers seems to be 'nothing'.

FO2 covers it in the manual:

There are a total of eight skills that you can choose
from on the Skilldex. Each skill name is a button. Next
to the button is a counter, showing your current level in
the skill on the adjacent button. As usual, high numbers
are better and show your percentage chance of succeeding
in the use of that skill. The skill level is before
modifiers, so it’s possible to have a really high skill
and still fail.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
100% is a special number in 'percentages' though. That's what is weird. Either it's a '100% is percentage of the average skill of a population' (which sorta makes no sense) or '100% percentage is representative of a exceptionally skilled (at that skill) subset of the population' (makes more sense).

The percentage appears to have been put there to make you feel good when you go over 100, 150 , 200.

edit: doh, i've misread your quote. Ok, that makes sense. Sort of. Except i'd really prefer something where 100% is actual success and getting up to 220% wasn't something that could be done. The necessity and point of getting to those - unlimited - values is very obscure in game. -150% chance of succeeding skill check eh. Dumb. I suppose they needed it to work through game challenges leisurely thought the dev cycle without adjusting at every point.

Still, over 100% percentages are a abomination. Remove the sign, if you must.

Last edited:

Neanderthal

Arcane
I want more specificity in me crpgs usually, if i'm making a build or choosing between skills or perks, I don't want vague terms that are open to interpretation, especially in a language like English. As for presentation, I ;like ones that fit thematically wi game, say Krondors novel approach (see what I did there,) but backed up wi solid maths.

Now the only place I might accept some vagueness is something like wild magic or miscasting, because of the arcane nature. Even there i'd prefer solid info most of the time.

I don't want to have to look at a fucking pipboy to equip fuckling inventory though, bloody retarded larping shit. F1&2 got it better wi a simple inventory button.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands

That sounds awesome. Can't wait to start my GBC playthrough soon. Just undertook a BG:EET run, though, so it's going to be a (long) while...

Random thought. What if a CRPG added in-game, lore-friendly handbooks right in the game itself? I think CRPGs in general are missing so many good feature opportunities. Comprehensive, handmade Bestiaries that fill out as you gain experience fighting monsters. Different in-game reference materials, such as books detailing how to handle certain combat with advanced creatures (like Skyrim's book about Troll hunting but taken to actual meaningful levels.) There's a lot of cool stuff like that that could be done. But an in-game guidebook could be interesting, maybe?

Knights of the Chalice had a detailed handbook online, replete with context sensitive links while you played.

Deleted Member 16721

Only if the Awesome Button makes the game nerdier, more hardcore CRPG and pen-and-paper style, then sure, more Awesome Buttons please. :positive:

Numbers are nerdy and very much pen-and-paper style. At least on your character sheet. For expanded descriptions, wrestle the GM for the manual :smug:

Again you seem to be missing what I'm saying. I don't want to see this at all times:

Saving Throw vs. Wand: 6
Saving Throw vs. Shit:6
Saving Throw vs. Whatever:8
Saving Throw vs. Yeah:9
Saving Throw vs. Okay:6
Saving Throw vs. Yea-yea! (Ice Cube):11
Resistance to Random Shit: 2.3%
Resitsance to Resistance Magic: 4.7%
Reistance to Seeing Unnecessary Stats on Char Sheet: 2.1%

I'd rather see (hypothetical examples not based on any real ruleset):

vs. Wand - Great
vs. Shit - Great
vs. Okay - Great
vs. Whatever - Good
vs. Yeah - Average
vs. Yea-Yea! - Poor

And yes, I'd like to see them auto-arranged with your best stats on top. It's easier on the eyes.

For Resistances or other random stats, a triangle graph would be better to look at. If the game has 3 resistances like that, you can make a 3-pointed graph. Same for elemental resistances and other similar aspects. In those cases you can even have words like Absorb or Immune if your resistance to an element reaches 100% or 200%. Make the art look as though it was sketched in a journal. That is very important - it should NOT look like Microsoft Excel or some art style that does not closely match the vibe and lore of the game world. If the char sheet looks like a weathered parchment, the writing should match it.

And if you hover over any of those items, you should see:

vs. Wand - Great *HOVER OVER* - Ability Score: 6. You can withstand some of the more sophisticated Wands in The Realms, but should be wary of Wizards wielding unknown magical devices.

That's taking it a little further with the text description but at the very least the first stuff could be done.

The numbers would be there, you just wouldn't have to look at them on the default sheets at all times. Because it's not really necessary to know nor is it very interesting to see your vs. Wand = 6 and your Farting skill is 23%.

Little things to make those bits more interesting to look at go a long way, while still keeping all (and adding more!!) numbers into the complexity of the ruleset.

Visual niceness, pretty much. With lore-friendly and lore-related graphics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom