Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Most expensive games

Thread is not about the cases when geam is rare and get ridiculous prices on ebay after years. Plz point out games that were significantly expensive on release date in your country.

My vote goes for N64 port of Turok which was 350 PLN (Poland of 1997)!!!! New PC games was around 150 PLN and console ones a little bit priced but this shit was ridiculous, especially considering that Saturn/PSX consoles was around 999 PLN per unit. Fortunately, few month ago PC Turok was released so Nintendo could fuck off with their overpriced bullshit (it was 3dfx exclusive though).

There were some strange cases with multiCD's games like Baldur's Gate when you paid around 30 PLN for single pirate CD so full game was in price of original one and no one gave a shit about illegal copies. As result, that painfull 150 PLN was inevitable.

From more memorable explamples, there was a weird game+graphics card bundle - some 3D Monster-like hardware with Virtua Fighter for fucking 1000 PLN in late '95 / early 96. OK, it was during the period when PC (for the last time) was inferior in 3D comparing to consoles but fortunately SEGA decided to make a port of VF compatibile with cheaper 3D cards like S3 Virge (best chip of all time).

And you?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Before Iceland joined the EEC in 1993, everything sent in the post from abroad was priced according to two parameters: Volume and weight. Meaning that the bigger and heavier the game box was, the more expensice the game would be.

The most extreme example of this that I know of cost 12000 kronur back then, and what rudimentary calculations I can make would make it cost at least 31000 kronur today, or about $300.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Amiibo garbage, Skylanders and that Disney Infinity trash is an endless dump of money.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Oh shit, I now remembered the holy grail.
WmkdW.png

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Recently - 180PLN for Divinity - Original Sin 2 when I paid ~50pln for the first game a few months after release.

Anything released by Microsoft in '90? Their PC games costs as much as console games (200pln), meanwhile - average income back then was between 700-1100?

Or anything released before CD Projekt (years before Twitcher1 was planned) tried to make PC games cheaper (fuk console peasants, they can pay more) with 99pln and 69pln tiers + cheap series for 19,99pln (these were my first original games, feels good).
That remind me something... remember Painkiller, previous Adrian Carm-I mean, Chmielarz's project? It cost 19.99 (same or even lower price than average pirated title) and people still pirated this shit. I don't even...

Oh and recently PC games prices reached console games expensive lvl (256potatoes) while PC was always cheaper (at 2-3 times) than that...

Last edited:

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Flight sims were very expensive in the eighties and nineties, but I did not buy them myself. For me, I guess Falcon 4.0 (99.95 guilders in Amsterdam in year 2000, 45.36 EUR in direct conversion) could have been the most expensive I bought.
Edit: oops, the euros were used already in 2000, so the 99.95 is euros, in fact. It just says the plain numbers on the box.

Last edited:
There is also a racing sim game called iracing. To start things off you first have a yearly subscription which is about 100$. Then in addition to that you need to buy cars and tracks separately with 12$ to 15$ each. There are volume discounts and specials but that is the baseline. All content is probably way over 1000$. But even if you buy just couple of cars and tracks it is couple hundred with the sub.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nintendo had some insane prices back in the day here in Sweden. Nintendo 16 bit games, new ones cost like 80 dollars or something. That was back in the 90s.

Machocruz

Arcane
In the midwestern U.S., Sega Genesis games cost 70-80 dollars in the beginning. RPGs were priced higher than everything else, in the 16 bit days, about 80-90 U.S. $.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Star Citizen

Which is not bad given that it doesn't even fucking exist yet.

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Star Citizen

Which is not bad given that ut doesn't even fucking exist yet.
Oh yeah, speaking of which.

EVE Online. Some of the in-game items/currency can indeed cost a sizable amount of money.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
In the midwestern U.S., Sega Genesis games cost 70-80 dollars in the beginning. RPGs were priced higher than everything else, in the 16 bit days, about 80-90 U.S. $.

When i was a wee kid i remember seeing a phantasy star game that cost 100 $ at the KB toy store. Cool poster display, but I had never heard of the series, so I didn't care. This was on the north west coast.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Steel Battalion for Xbox was pretty expensive when it came out, but you got a big clicky-clacky sim controller with it.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Anything released by Microsoft in '90? Their PC games costs as much as console games (200pln), meanwhile - average income back then was between 700-1100?.
Yeah, I remember seeing Age of Empires 1 with a ridiculous price tag like 249 or 259 PLN back in the day.

cheap series for 19,99pln (these were my first original games, feels good)
And it had 3/4 of today's GoG catalog from the second half of the 90s + some more obscure titles. There was also another (short running, unfortunately) series with games for 29,99 PLN. I remember getting Giants: Citizen Kabuto, they even added a folded box so it looked like the 159 PLN titles on a shelf :D

last game i paid full price has been dawn of war 2, 26.50 euros on play.com. anything more expensive than that is crazy talk.

No Great Name

Arcane
Some SNES games like Earthbound have been going for more than $200 last I checked. It's pretty ridiculous.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom