Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you recommend D:OS1?

Theldaran

Liturgist
I have both D:OS's listed in my Steam wishlist (don't mind getting them by key or at GOG), and I was wondering.

I wanted to start with the first part. Apparently there are lots of people who think these games are really mediocre, so I'm curious.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I have both D:OS's listed in my Steam wishlist (don't mind getting them by key or at GOG), and I was wondering.

I wanted to start with the first part. Apparently there are lots of people who think these games are really mediocre, so I'm curious.

There's no real reason to play both of them unless you are going to play every game in the Divinity franchise.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Only the pre-Enhanced version. That one has the best combat of the Original Sin games and doesn't have the badly-done voice overs either.

Geckabor

Savant
While it does have downsides that will annoy some people to varying degrees (random loot, "funny" dialogue, bad writing/story, ...), I'd say it's worth playing it for the combat, which is most definitely incline.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
... I'm going to repeat that you shouldn't play both of them, unless you've played dozens of other RPGs you probably haven't played.

Unfortunately, I have to admit that the pre-Enhanced D:OS has the most enjoyable combat but D:OS2 has the best everything else.

DraQ

Arcane

I would just go with DOS2.
Other than stupidly bad armor system and bloat it's vastly superior in nearly every single area and (while definitely not PS:T) doesn't suffer from inane storytelling and (with few exceptions) very forced and lame attempts at humour at every step like DOS1 did (it does have humour, like every Larian's game, but rarer and better).

DOS1 was a great proof of concept for Larian's elemental and combat systems and but ultimately extremely lacklustre as a game you'd want to actually complete.

Theldaran

Liturgist
... I'm going to repeat that you shouldn't play both of them, unless you've played dozens of other RPGs you probably haven't played.

Like what?

My 2 top entries in CRPG are Ravenloft: the Stone Prophet and the Baldur's Gate saga. They were really engaging.

Codex Year of the Donut
If you play RPGs for the combat I'd recommend it. The story is bland and confusing. By the time you get to the end of the first chapter area you'll completely forget what you were even supposed to be doing.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
you've probably never played Earthbound, so that's one right there that is infinitely better

Parabalus

Arcane
Only the pre-Enhanced version. That one has the best combat of the Original Sin games and doesn't have the badly-done voice overs either.

What did the EE do to the combat? Only played that version.

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
you've probably never played Earthbound, so that's one right there that is infinitely better

Hey Aweigh as the resident blobber expert did you ever play any of the demon's gaze games yet? if so are they worth getting?
I saw some posts where you were umming and ahhing about whether to get a ps4 or vita to play them.

Also DOS:1 is worth playing with a friend, if you don't have a friend, play the second one.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Don't know about Demon Gaze, but I would get a Vita to play the Catherine remake. Should I just be shot?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Achiman

blobber connoisseurs Dorarnae and Courtier have both played Demon Gaze and they both liked it (don't know if they loved it).

You can trust their taste implicitly my friend. I ended up not buying the VITA because (of Hurrican Maria) i'm gonna be uprooting and moving to the mainland US in February so obv. no room for buying stuff like that for a while.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
I suggest you played 3h of DS1 and then 3h of DS2, first hours are the best these games have to offer. It's only decline from that point.
Also, as ghostdog said you can try Underrail, but only if you wan purely exploration/combat game, not a story rich with good dialogs.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom