Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane PREY - Arkane's immersive coffee cup transformation sim - now with Mooncrash roguelike mode DLC

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
You just can't get proper impression about this game in first few hours.

true

because the 2nd half is a fucking disaster
Yeah the second half is very empty because this is game for explorers and therefore they have explored everything possible. The second half is just running from point to point and doing quests.

Ivan

Arcane
Just finished the game today and I was floored for 3/4s of the game. Every time I was exploring any one place for the first time it was fantastic. Especially in the early game, when you aren't a super-god, you really have to think about how to explore the environment. I loved finding ways around blocked passageways since I refused to get the Strength ability. It was so much fun, I'm considering doing a no neuormods run and see how that goes.

-best opening to a game in a long time, that through the looking glass moment, MINDBLOWN

-fantastic arsenal + exploration

-sidequests left much to be desired since they typically force you to backtrack to areas you've probably already combed over during your first trip (so many loading screens)

All in all this was easily my favorite Arkane game. It definitely lives up to Shock 2. Take it away Raf

:4/5:

Regvard

Arcane
Flawed but great. I highly recommend it.

Main offender was combat and sidequests in my opinion. Combat probably because I focused on shotgun and producing shotgun shells. Sneaky shotgun blasts pretty much destroyed everything on my path. Never really had to use GLOO cannon past the start and it seemed like a nice mechanic. Coupled with lack of alien variety in the game, combat got dull fast.

Side quests because re-entering monster infested places I already passed through once for <reasons> I couldn't bring myself to care about most of the time.

Ash

Arcane
Hp sponges, however, are never, ever, under any circumstances a good thing or a good way to provide difficulty.

False and possibly retarded. Unless you think Doom combat is bad because Barons of Hell (relatively common enemies late game) take up to 15 shotgun blasts point blank. It's the other way around, everything going down in 1-5 shots is ruining shooters. Ideally, as in the best shooters there's usually a mix, resulting in deeper combat where the player has to consider more types of enemy in engagements. Bullet sponges serve multiple unique roles that cannon fodder does not and cannot, many of which sensibly relate to difficulty.

But yes, what Prey in particular needed most was its resource management, character building systems etc tweaked with difficulty.

Ivan said:
It definitely lives up to Shock 2.
Origin said:
This game is seriously underrated. Probably best game in genre. Better then SS2, without a doubt.

Disagree and Origin is also possibly retarded. It's somewhere between trash and ingenuity (Bioshock and System Shock 2 respectively).

That said, how in the simulated hell did IGN justify giving PREY a 4/10 (at first)? I bet they're the same idiots that gave Bioshock and Dishonored 9s and 10s.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I finished the game in 40 hours, having explored every possible corner of Talos.

This game is seriously underrated. Probably best game in genre. Better then SS2, without a doubt.

Prey pros:
- great world design where each character can be accounted for,
- interesting and novel game mechanics (like the glue-gun),
- NPCs you can interact with and C&C stuff.

Prey cons:
- retarded aliens design, (* I would rather fight anything else than jumping blobs)
- retarded neuromods which are borderline magic,
- everything fells apart during the last third of the game,
- unsatisfying ending.

The game is great but flawed. I understand your excitement but relax, overall SS2 is much better than Prey.

Last edited:

Origin

Augur
I finished the game in 40 hours, having explored every possible corner of Talos.

The game is great but flawed. I understand your excitement but relax, overall SS2 is much better than Prey.

I would probably agree with you if I didn't finish SS2 again recently. Nostalgia factor aside, it's just not better then Prey.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
That said, how in the simulated hell did IGN justify giving PREY a 4/10 (at first)?

"Something ate my one and only savegame ergo 4/10"
To be fair, iirc the game uses some sort of "profile" system that contains your set of saves, and it was the profile itself that could get corrupted, not just the individual save.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

I would probably agree with you if I didn't finish SS2 again recently. Nostalgia factor aside, it's just not better then Prey.

Shodan is much more effective as a villain than whatever the Typhon is.

The fact that you are alone is much more accentuated in SS2 than in Prey.

Typhon enemies are really lame. Maybe I'm retarded but I think they suck.

Talents specialization in SS2 is real while in Prey you will probably end up playing the same shit: either full Typhon powers or no-powers.

In retrospective Prey ending diminishes the entire experience whether you like it or not. It's clever but it kills the main motivation for replaying the game.

PS. Of course SS2 is technically clunky when compared with Prey therefore I did not comment about technical differences. Also I see how someone could like Prey more than SS2. But overall, I think SS2 design is superior. Not by a lot but not insignificantly.

HansDampf

Arcane
No, you aren't retadred. At least visually, I agree. Aside from Mimics and Phantoms, they look like black blobs of varying sizes, almost indistinguishable.

In retrospective Prey ending diminishes the entire experience whether you like it or not. It's clever but it kills the main motivation for replaying the game.

My main motivation for replaying it, which I will be doing soon, is just to upgrade different shit and fool around with game systems some more. I only took two alien skills on first run so I have that to look forward to. Definitely not gonna take Max Payne skill second time. I barely even followed the main plot because I found delivery of it dull. Most of the time I was too busy killing shit and clearing rooms when those voice messages/audio logs were playing. Maybe I'll pay more attention to it second time.
Still I think Prey is best AAA action rpg I've played in a long time.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane

System Shock 2 was a much better game overall, the only thing really improved on Prey were technical stuff, yes, the game doesn't feel as clunky as System Shock 2 but everything else was lame:

1 - Shodan is truly great, people underestimate the role of a good villain on those sorts of games but Shodan gave personality to the station, if you pay attention, the writers of System Shock 1 and 2 turned the station on a playground for the villain, this is a really smart trick, you felt like a rat fighting a much more powerful entity, a rat crawling on its lair, what is great to create tension and horror. Even Biocock 1 writers were smart enough to keep that, but instead of some alien or Ai monster horror, you fight a man that saw his dreams end on ruins. Prey space cuthulu thing shows up late like an Deus Ex Machina and you kill it right away, this is serious boner deflating stuff.

2 - The design of the aliens fucking sucks, there is psychological horror and body horror, when they chosen to make black floating meatballs as enemies, that was a bad choice, what is great about body horror is the perversion of the human body to scare people by showing the organic machine that we truly are and how that could easily be perverted and with you still alive watching it as you lose the control of your body. The black floating meatballs of prey are lame, they are too far away from an human body to evoke body horror. You know that satisfaction when you kill something that by God shouldn't exist and destroy an abomination? You know... KILL IT WITH FIRE! You don't get that at prey. This is one of the reasons of why they are so lame.

They could do psychological horror, the Typhoon are much more suited for that and I think this was the aim of the designers with the neuromods stuff but it is obvious that got in conflict hard with the way the game is played and this conflict they failed to solve, the Nightmare was a great idea, for example, but in the end, it is just another bullet sponge to kill not much different from the other bullet sponges. This is terrible for a game that is trying psychological horror.

Prey would play much better if you weren't certain that what you are seeing is real or not since from the start instead of trying to reserve that for the ending with the lame "It was all a dream.". That introduction where they keep you on the loop should be the whole game, instead of the lame killing endless black goo meatballs in that space. Thos would fit much better with the neuromod stuff.

3 - The level design is cool but not enough, Prey climax on level design are three levels: The Talos 1 lobby, the crew quarters and that level where Alex confront you with the big glass dome, those three are really great but Prey doesn't have the consistency of level design as Dishonored 1 and 2, the rest of the levels are by the number affairs in terms of level design or infuriating like all zero G sections.

4 - The resource abundance on this game is the mercy blow to this game, you are playing a system shock clone with no villain, the enemy design suck, the game isn't scary, the level design is inconsistent, the shooting is meh and the final nail is that you will have all the resources you will ever need on this game. I remember on System Shock 2 when I only had two clips and there were three hybrids outside the place I was waiting for me, I wasn't that scared of them because I knew I had enough ammo to kill them but I knew that after that, all there will be left for me was to fucking run. This game scream for a survival mode or somehting, even the last difficulty isn't hard.

It is ironic that something like the glue cannon and the jet pack that improve the mobility can both easily get you to safe spots even if for some reason you ran out of ammo, what wasn't the case at all with System Shock 2 on the last difficulty.

I don't like Prey that much because I expected an RPG/Action game with a survival horror game vibe, a true system shock sequel, and I got a Biocock 1 deja vu. Yeah, sure, people hype this game as a great achievement or something here on the Codex and the Codex hates Biocock 1 betrayal to this day but this isn't all that superior to something like Biocock 1 to be honest.

How you dare to compare this to Biocock 1?! I hear Arkane fanboys screaming... The reality is that System Shock 2 is so old and the betrayal of Ken Levine so long ago that many people here are cutting Arkane a BIG slack, a fucking BIG slack for Arkane, this game is playable and you can have some fun with it like Biocock 1 but it is fucking mediocre.

You shoot bullet sponge enemies like you did on Biocock, the shooting sucks like Biocock, the game throw resources like candy to you like Biocock, the progression system is RPG light as it was on Biocock, sure (they use the word "Neuromod" instead of "Adam" so all of sudden this simplistic stuff is incline) and you will get everything you will ever need by the end of the game. Rapture is a more interesting place than Telos 1 by far, Biocock wins here, the main villain of Prey and the story in general sucks a big time and is boring, Biocock wins here, sure Biocock 1 isn't Oscar material but I don't buy this shit that the ending of Prey is "clever", "It was all a dream simulation!" isn't anything that isn't base cliche that shitty writers copy paste all the time, I was rolling my eyes at that crap at the end and how some people fallen for that shit.

Only on level design, Arkane is truly superior to something like Biocock 1 but even at that, if you are a Dishonored series fan , this game is a letdown, I expected much more from it and half the time I spent on the game was walking on generic factory/labs/offices, floating on infuriating and pointless zero G sections and backtracking all the way so Arkane could reuse the few really well designed levels and pretend they had a much bigger game than they did.

RoSoDude

Arcane

I just replayed SS2 two days ago on Impossible and I say it's still far better than Prey. Where are we now, huh? And for the record, I can't be tainted by nostalgia, because I played Bioshock first of all these games (and thought it was an overhyped snoozefest, mind you), and first played SS1 and SS2 last year.

Prey has some neat ideas, but has almost zero tension and very little depth. So long as you just use the right tools, you'll never be in any real danger from enemies, and resources become so abundant that you'll never not have the right tools. Deus Ex-like exploration is fun in the beginning, especially with the presence of Mimics, but the game becomes a boring lootfest past the Arboretum. You don't need any skills, so there's no push-and-pull with your build choices -- just do whatever you feel like, and probably whatever gets the task done the fastest. The end game doesn't really ramp up the challenge so much as encourage you to sprint past everything just to get the damn thing over with. There was plenty of potential for this to rise to the level of greatness, but Arkane clearly didn't have the nerve to do it.

Contrast this with SS2, where the scarcity of resources and proclivity of everything to fucking murder you forces you to make tough choices about every bullet, nanite, and cybernetic module you spend. It's these restrictions that actually amplify the feeling of freedom -- you have to forge your own strategies to make your particular selection of abilities and gear work for you. I made it through most of my run without the Maintenance skill, opting to Repair multiple copies of the pistol and shotgun early on and later using the anti-entropy spell to keep my weapons in shape. I thought the Rickenbacker and Body of the Many were fantastic, because they forced me to actually use the skills, weapons, and resources I'd acquired up to that point, where my investment in the Fusion Canon and stock of unused maintenance tools finally paid off. SS2 knows how to keep you hungry and on your toes, and it also knows how to reward you for planning ahead.

And one more thing, I beat the game with 0 in Hacking or Research, so maybe people can finally pipe down about how SS2 "requires" you to have those skills.

Ash

Arcane
the verticality of prey's level design knocks system shock 2 out of the park though.

In quantity, yes. Not so sure about quality though. Attaining higher ground is always a dominant choice in the recent Arkane games because they make them risk-free (aside from falling) vantage points. Combine that with blink, super jumps, portable gloo, if ever you need a safe zone just go up. It's a bit silly. It's bad enough that attaining higher ground is typically naturally an advantage in combat/warfare/stealth as it is. The verticality in Shock 2, though rare, was arguably a little more meaningful/engaging.
Deus Ex (original) is definitely a finer example of verticality than Arkane games. Going up doesn't always mean safe zone (though definitely does sometimes), and what is found in the vertical spaces is more varied in general. To be fair though, Deus Ex didn't have the restriction of being confined to a space station like Prey, resulting in a lot more vertical potential. With Prey they did pretty well with what they had, aside from later levels. Dishonored though, there's absolutely no excuse.

Arkane's level design talent is a little overstated. It's way above average especially by modern standards, but it too follows certain undesirable modern trends. Simulating a real space, their level design is fantastic. Pacing, art direction integration, inter-connectivity, supporting multiple playstyles and more, all (usually) top notch. Yet I take issue with a few things, the biggest being the lack of engaging challenge. Sure you get some platforming in various forms, enemy placement, a little puzzle here and there, yet it's all piss easy, infrequent and doesn't engage to that golden old school standard. Use Deus Ex, Thief and SS2 for comparison to see what I mean. In that regard there's not quality nor quantity and they're pandering to the modern market. Their levels are also seemingly not designed around natural navigation and aiming to support that ideal optimally, but rather just using objective markers and throwing their hands in the air. This is especially true in Prey.
And let's not forget Prey's Talos 1 exterior where there is little points of interest, little to no visual signposting to the point where objective markers are absolutely needed, and it too is let down by the usual lack of engaging challenge: too few enemies, no resources to manage, o2 system was removed etc.
I remember also noting how the obsessive art direction focus and overall visual extravaganza of Prey made interactivity a bit of a chore and also necessitated the need for object highlights if you didn't want to spend even more of your time looting shit, which already makes up some 70% of the overall game time if not more. Resource placement is also too far too generous, on that note.

So while Arkane are among the best level designers in the modern industry, they unfortunately don't meet that old golden standard, for me. Not really even close. Slightly less art direction and detail focus, and a touch more given back to gameplay please Arkane.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
No, you aren't retadred. At least visually, I agree. Aside from Mimics and Phantoms, they look like black blobs of varying sizes, almost indistinguishable.

Visually? Sure they're almost indistinguishable and the other points you mention, but I take issue with the enemy design from a gameplay standpoint. e.g lack of variety of enemy types, lack of challenge scaling late game, it sometimes being difficult to identify the type of typhon you are to engage and react appropriately due to said lack of distinction yet this (and the visual aspect) has been gone into many times ITT before anyways.

Edit: also they suck from a horror standpoint. which has also been gone into a number of times.
I remember mentioning appreciating the Typhon on the grounds that they're something different to the standard failed biological experiment or typical alien concept, though. Personally I prefer tradition that is proven solid and works over innovation that fails, however.

Last edited:

Origin

Augur

I just replayed SS2 two days ago on Impossible and I say it's still far better than Prey. Where are we now, huh?

I don't know man, it's pretty serious.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
And one more thing, I beat the game with 0 in Hacking or Research, so maybe people can finally pipe down about how SS2 "requires" you to have those skills.
You'd have to be a moron to say ss2 requires research, since there's an implant that gives +1 to it.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
False and possibly retarded.
Oh look, a sperg on rpgcodex forum. No one calls enemies like hell knights or shamblers or whatever hp sponges. Hp bloat is a situation when combat difficulty is largely based on pretty much everything being able to withstand way more punishment than it reasonably should, encouraging player to meta the mechanics to obtain a high dmg weapon as soon as possible to "break" (read: make as little tedious as possible) the game. Prey is an example of such scenario, Doom is not. There, did that help?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom