Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Monster Hunter: World - pre-release thread

Perkel

Arcane
The hammer isn't anything like Dark Souls. Nor is any weapon in the whole game. Dark Souls combat is just normal attacks, (which use meter) and you get more normal attacks by pressing different directions in conjunction with the light or heavy attack button. Dark Souls combat is like Elder Scrolls combat if Elder Scrolls combat was actually good. In Monster Hunter World it works totally different, moves are all combo based, and you don't get different attacks for each direction you press while hitting the attack button; it's a control scheme more along the lines of those other Capcom games than Dark Souls.

Fighting monsters in the beta didn't feel all that different from fighting big monsters in Dragon's Dogma outside of this having a deeper combo system due to being a player skill based game where that's how you do your special moves, and DD being a character skill based Hack & Slash game where special moves are on hotkeys.

If you're a combatfag that goes into Monster Hunter World expecting it to play anything at all like Dark Souls you're probably going to be disappointed because the two have completely different gameplay systems.

You are talking about weapon controls and not the combat. Yes weapons are different. True. But that doesn't mean combat is different. It isn't. Like i said before MH combat is even more "souls" like because it even more ephatizes on core values of "souls like" combat. If you start argue about weapon controls you can just as well argue Bloodborne combat isn't souls like which would be untrue.

Secondly DEMO for every monster hunter game is usually VERY EASY. You get overpowered gear for what you are about to hunt. Which is probably why you think combat is like DD. Because even diablos Charge attack did like max 1/3 hp while in normal game that charge attack in not overpowered gear should absolutely pummel you like rag doll.

SumDrunkGuy

Never got the appeal of these games. You mindlessly hack away at giant damage sponges for 15+ minutes, occasionally pausing to chase them into the next area, rinse & repeat. That's like the epitome of boring gameplay.

sullynathan

Arcane
Never got the appeal of these games. You mindlessly hack away at giant damage sponges for 15+ minutes, occasionally pausing to chase them into the next area, rinse & repeat. That's like the epitome of boring gameplay.
You know what, you actually have a point here.
A lot of times in this beta I've felt like that's what I've been doing. You don't necessarily need to dodge properly because of how erratic the bosses are, while your partners just keep wacking away like they don't care either.
The music in the beta is also not helping much to pump me up.

Perkel

Arcane

Difference between this and Dark Souls is that in Dark Souls you can get lucky. In MH there is luck but long battles negate almost completely chances to win battle just by share luck. So you stay on your toes completely through the fight and win because you mastered monster rather than you got lucky.

It doesn't show much in early fights because those are usually easy but later on some monsters can just 1hit ko you and you need to fight those monsters for 30-40 minutes being constantly on edge.

MH achieves something games with bosses rarely do. When you finally finish monster it feels properly like you actually hunted huge monster, it feels realistic that you wouldn't be able to kill it with your measly weapons in 5 minutes and feeling you get from killing it provides much better rush than DS bosses.

You know what, you actually have a point here.
A lot of times in this beta I've felt like that's what I've been doing. You don't necessarily need to dodge properly because of how erratic the bosses are, while your partners just keep wacking away like they don't care either.
The music in the beta is also not helping much to pump me up.

Beta was very easy and if you played multi people had 9 LIVES instead of 3 like usual along with gear that was completely OP for monsters you had to hunt.

Because you had OP weapons/armor for those monsters it was very easy to stagger or make monster trip which basically meant that 4 coop was basically bullying monsters.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
If you don't see the appeal then the game isn't for you. Not the end of the world and you should feel free to move on to something that might be more interesting to you. The appeal for me is in the feeling of victory you have when you take down a tough monster with some cool bros. And the feeling of power creep as you slowly build up your crappy gear into top tier gear.

sullynathan

Arcane
Beta was very easy and if you played multi people had 9 LIVES instead of 3 like usual along with gear that was completely OP for monsters you had to hunt.

Because you had OP weapons/armor for those monsters it was very easy to stagger or make monster trip which basically meant that 4 coop was basically bullying monsters.
I fought neirere or whatever the new monster is. You didn't have 9 lives, only 3 and 15 minutes

Perkel

Arcane

I fought neirere or whatever the new monster is. You didn't have 9 lives, only 3 and 15 minutes

You mean single player ? Single Beta i think had 3 lives but in multiplayer it is 9. Though they could change something because i don't play latest beta (i'll just wait for full version)

sullynathan

Arcane
You mean single player ? Single Beta i think had 3 lives but in multiplayer it is 9. Though they could change something because i don't play latest beta (i'll just wait for full version)
the current beta that ends tomorrow has 3 lives for negrietere

You know what, I'm gonna go play the beta since we're talking about it.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane

In single or multi because this is important. In previous BETA version in single player you had 3 but in multiplayer 9.
But they could change it to default value used in retail games so 3 for latest beta.

sullynathan

Arcane

In single or multi because this is important. In previous BETA version in single player you had 3 but in multiplayer 9.
But they could change it to default value used in retail games so 3 for latest beta.
negrigete boss has 15 minutes and 5 lives on multiplayer and single

Vorark

Erudite

Are you talking specifically about multiplayer? Because in 4U multi usually devolves into hack'n'slash, which surprised me quite a bit (first time I've played MH online). That's why I prefer to solo the online portion or, at most, go duo hunting.

sullynathan

Arcane
Nergigante is a fine boss. I really like the heavy bowgun and the charged blade.

Are you talking specifically about multiplayer? Because in 4U multi usually devolves into hack'n'slash, which surprised me quite a bit (first time I've played MH online). That's why I prefer to solo the online portion or, at most, go duo hunting.
Yea multiplayer, that's most of what I've played in the beta. There is a difference between experienced players though especially when you fight Nergigante. The 15 minute time limit and his high damage makes him tough.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
I have defeated Nergigante two times now. Most of the time when I've failed in multiplayer, it's due to partners dying too early or time running out.
Beating his stupid ass

Losing to his stupid ass

I have to say that after putting hours into the beta I am currently happy with what I played and come to the conclusion than World is a large enough improvement over the last Monster Hunter I played.

Monster Hunter has a lot of mechanics and depth as long as the player is willing to engage them which they will have to against a boss like Nergigante who was pretty tough, erratic and durable. The new healing that allows you to move while healing but will cut itself short if you equip your weapon, mounting on a monster which is something I'm still not sure how frequently happens, slinger for shooting shit at the monster and seamless no loading screen really changes how the game plays a lot.

No longer can you just hide in the next map, heal, then pop back on the monster, no longer can you keep getting knocked out of the fight because you're at the edge of the map.

Little things like rolling when you're on fire, having button inputs on the screen, monster's getting stuck on vines, cats helping to immobilize the monster and even the turf wars made the game more enjoyable for me.

One thing I did forget for most of the beta was that food even existed. I'm not sure if the food mechanics we're on for the beta but later on I did try some of them and it didn't seem to boost my player. I also didn't check much on armor, crafting and other equipment.

I ended up using the lance, the bow, charge blade, insect glaive and heavy bowgun. Weapons I didn't use in portable 3rd but we're all very useful. I have to say, I like the lance because it felt like playing a tank character which is something recent games I've played don't have.

The new mantle thing came in handy. I really only tried the Rocksteady and Glider mantle. Rocksteady mantle is like poise from Dark Souls before it was removed. Most attacks and screams from monsters won't disorient the player and the player takes less damage, but it's balanced off by a timer for how long you can use it and a cooldown afterwards. This is something FROM could've figured out instead of removing poise.

Some new things I'm not fond of is the whole zooming in the camera when a new monster is found. This is annoying as hell. When you're chasing one monster, like Anjanath for example and a Great Jagras pop's up the entire screen zooms on the great Jagras which is a huge distraction.
You can still break off pieces of the monster like in previous games but the devs have still not taken this as far as I like. There are still only specific parts of a monster that can be broken. Breaking a horn off a monster only really does cosmetic damage, the monster won't deal less damage with it's charge. You still can't break off wings from flying dragons.
A lot of times, The erratic behavior of monsters still hurt the game especially when your character is knocked down and a monster starts with a delayed attack that will hit you exactly when you're getting up off the floor. At a specific time like this, an attack from a monster can't be dodged.
I also ran into some really bad framerate problems in multiplayer when there we're lots of action. I think it was because I prioritized resolution at the time.
This is an issue i'm hoping is only in the beta but matchmaking servers we're pretty poor. A lot of the times I got an error or the game was full which meant I had to create my own server/fight.

Overall, I have to say that I am more optimistic this time around than I was a few hours ago.

Last edited:

Kitchen Utensil

I think I kinda get the appeal, but somehow still don't think I'll like it.

The general idea of going on epic hunts, mastering your weapon(s) and upgrading your gear to be able to take down even more dangerous monsters is quite appealing.

However, there are too many things I'm not so sure about:

- Art direction:
It's too anime for me I think. I usually don't mind some of that, but it's overdone here.
Then there's the inventory and general UI. It looks so fucking generic, cluttered and unintuitive.

- Character creation:
For a game that's supposed to make you hunt for cool new armor sets, the char creator is pathetic. Why can we only cutomise the head/face? Every hunter looking pretty much the same will be pretty boring. I want my hammer wielding barbarian, a hunting horn dwarf or a little charge blade girl. When one of the main appeals of a game is supposed to be char customisation, let us customise them.

- Gameplay:
It does indeed look repetitive in a bad sense. There doesn't seem to be enough variation in gameplay mechanics; even with all these different monsters and weapons, one hunt appears to play pretty much like each other. With all these combos you have to memorise, effects are all pretty much the same: smashing the monster. It looks like a single vocation in Dragon's Dogma for example allows for more varied gameplay than all weapons in Monster Hunter combined, with less complex controls.
Then there's the mounting monsters: Why does this have to be a shitty, boring QTE-ish mini-game? This looks like it will get boring quickly.
The whole limping to another area, the interactions between monsters, environmetal traps etc. also seem like scripted gimmicks. Maybe they'll be super-dynamic and add variety, but I get the feeling those will get old fast. And who thought it would be a good idea for monsters to go sleep mid-hunt while they're being attacked? I can't think of a less rewarding end to an epic fight than killing the prey after it went to sleep in front of me.

I don't know, I'm probably exaggerating and will still buy the game and maybe even enjoy it. Just feels like the game could be so much more. We'll see.

Perkel

Arcane
fork worth noting:

1. There isn't any crafting and item management in BETA. This is huge part of the game.
Whole point of hunting xxx monster is to get parts from it and make from those parts
your new armor or weapon or something else.

And we are talking here about 100s of weapons and 1000s of armor pieces.
So when you kill monster in BETA you sure get the rush from killing it but
you don't get additional rush when you get loot from it because loot is meaningless in
beta.

2. There is actually story here to see. Like in MH4 you will be following story.
I don't particularly care for that but this might be up your alley. Naturally BETA didn't
include it at all.

3. BETA character creator is on purpose made simple. In full version there will be robust
character creator and those presets you saw were created in that creator.

4. Generally speaking you should hunt same monster 1 or 2 times max. If you want to
get full gear out of it then 4-5 times or maybe more depending on RNG.
So you will beat it on low rank then you will probably meet it at high rank
but this time it will have changed AI package, he will be faster, it will have
different moves etc. Then after beating it maybe you will beat variant of it which
often focus on different aspects of the monster sometimes changing completely
how fight goes. You mix everything with other monsters etc. and you will mostly play
unique content or if you want to gear up with some set then you will hunt something
repeatedly.

5. Monsters have different behaviors. When they sleep they regenerate health, when they loose stamina to much they will look for food, when they get hit a lot they can get enraged or they can get scared and simply run away. While it is not that critical at low rank, they higher you go the more important it becomes. Especially with some really hard monster who can 1hit ko you. Finding those things to use against monster is part of mh games and each monster have its own spin on those things.

6. BETA is painfully easy. I didn't play recent one but 2 before and all of them were easy, especially when multi with 4 people. That is normal because each time MH gets released they release demo version and it is also always easy. Especially defense stats don't make sense in BETA since most of those armors give you 10-12 defense and ton of them are completely different tiers. Like Aja armor and Hunter armor. Hunter armor is literally beginning armor in each mh while Aja armor should be mid game armor. Yet they both have 12 defense.

sullynathan

Arcane
It does indeed look repetitive in a bad sense. There doesn't seem to be enough variation in gameplay mechanics; even with all these different monsters and weapons, one hunt appears to play pretty much like each other. With all these combos you have to memorise, effects are all pretty much the same: smashing the monster. It looks like a single vocation in Dragon's Dogma for example allows for more varied gameplay than all weapons in Monster Hunter combined, with less complex controls.
Then there's the mounting monsters: Why does this have to be a shitty, boring QTE-ish mini-game? This looks like it will get boring quickly.
The whole limping to another area, the interactions between monsters, environmetal traps etc. also seem like scripted gimmicks. Maybe they'll be super-dynamic and add variety, but I get the feeling those will get old fast. And who thought it would be a good idea for monsters to go sleep mid-hunt while they're being attacked? I can't think of a less rewarding end to an epic fight than killing the prey after it went to sleep in front of me.
Monster Hunter has better combat than DD. It's also not as boring as DD. You should've played the beta, I guess for you the videos don't do the game justice.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Yeah you won't get far mashing buttons in MH. The fights get pretty intense and there is a good skill range on weapons, so you really feel accomplished when you get into a groove with a combat style. The game is pretty much 90% boss fights, what's not to like about that?

OTOH there's no RPG saving graces like level-grinding past problem bosses; gear upgrades only give you a ticket to the game, you still have to play it (heh). At least with MH World the shitty handheld controls are a thing of the past, and the grindyness seems improved, but ultimately remains to be seen. I'm pretty hyped regardless.

Perkel

Arcane
some monsters can just 1hit ko you and you need to fight those monsters for 30-40 minutes being constantly on edge
Now that's some fun game design if I ever saw it.

Well that is the thing about MH. You learn monsters much more than bosses in Dark Souls.
All monsters in rage deal A LOT more damage so this is usually where you will get 1hit ko on some hard monsters.
So instead of going head on you try to use other things to sap his stamina, running away, traps, flashbombs and with MHW environment.

edit:

Preload is on for some people. 1 day 22 hours to go.

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
ephatizes
084.png

easily one of my favorite typos

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Gamespot thinks difficult end game is a con :D
New "gaming journalist" strikes yet again.

Thinking to grab this one in weekend. Missed the thrill of the hunt!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom