Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
*Sounds of static*

Men! I don't have much time. Again, I am posting from the future.

The manu*Sounds of static* n't re*Sounds of static* ....sed...I REPEAT...The manual wasn't released.

Please con*Sounds of static* with your daily routin...*Sounds of static*

END TRANSMISSION

...ep--

*Static sounds end*

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It is pretty much impossible to be sure what, if anything some things do.

And a lot of stuff was/is broken, which adds to the fun.

But main fun comes from teasing the infallible superman who has been hyping his manual to end all manuals... The actual release is inconsequential.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
I've looked at all the data.

There are maybe (of skills) like 7-10 that actually do anything. The rest are filler he never got around to fleshing out.

It's easy to come up with a lot of bullshit skill names, it's harder to make them actually meaningful and do something.

Zep--

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
But main fun comes from teasing the infallible superman who has been hyping his manual to end all manuals...

While I am still excited for the manual, I can't believe it will be able to surpass the manual of Dominions 3 (+4,+5). I have finally started getting into the game and my god is the manual glorious!
I deeply regret not buying the game when it was still available with the bundled, printed manual over at shrapnel...

So if Cleve needs some inspiration he should definitly check it out or hire Bruce Geryk outright. I am sure everybody would be fine with a small delay

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It is pretty much impossible to be sure what, if anything some things do.

Maybe if someone compiled a list of such things and Cleve just answered them briefly in a few sentences? Like, that would do for now?

Maybe it would do forever since who needs a manual for things everyone understands?

Diggfinger

Arcane
Serious question:
which version of the game do you guys have?

I'm playing v.1.2.7.0 but seriously doubt this is the latest one (or is it super demo?).

E.g. there are several classes I cant even choose at character creation (e.g. the metalurgy whatever class).
Also, the start menu/character creation windows looks different that what I've seen (no golden frames).

Just little things but would like to suffer through play the latest build.

FYI Cleve did a Steam update 25th Dec mention the manual and also a 2.0 version being underway...

Dorateen

Arcane
I never played the Grimoire beta from 1995. The first I learned about Grimoire was in 2000, when I was following D.W. Bradley's Wizards & Warriors, and there was mention of another wizardry-like computer role-playing game in the works from a different developer. In 2013, I downloaded the demo/super-demo just to see if the wonder was real, to confirm all the details I had since read about. So when I started up Heralds of the Winged Exemplar toward the end of last year, it was the first time I was able to fully take in the game in all its enormity.

Every day that I play Grimore is thus a new experience, an illumination of cherished hidden secrets.

The whole tomb-eyrie-barge sequence, for example, is some stellar area design of inter-connectivity. Our party just encountered an enemy who will be worthy of writing sagas to chronicle our ensuing life and death struggle in fierce combat. We are coming for you!

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Serious question:
which version of the game do you guys have?

I'm playing v.1.2.7.0 but seriously doubt this is the latest one (or is it super demo?).

Maybe you should try buying it, then you'd have the latest version.

I will when/if it becomes available on GOG.

Steam gives me a rash
It isn't a bad idea to play the release version through the opening set of areas, but you will want to update after that for various bug fixes pertaining to the later areas. Even in the original set of areas, there is one particular monster that often causes the game to crash with certain attacks. I don't like Steam either, but you can simply download the latest version of Grimoire (which is quite small in file size) and then play offline.

Dorateen

Arcane
Defeated this dastardly fellow...

... and his stupid DISPLACER guard dog!

6gCHKW1.jpg

Dorateen

Arcane
GOLDEN ERA GAMES
View Profile
View Posts
[developer] 16 hours ago

You don't notice all the changes taking place to your odds of basic success in combat, lockpicking, spellcasting and other skills as a result of increases in attributes and skills?

I read a lot of strange things posted on the forum by people who clearly have other motivations but otherwise appear to have never done much but explore the first map before Crowl for a few minutes. I have a hard time believing that players would notice no improvements in their success as their attributes increase. The difference between a player attacking with a skill of 10 and a skill of 50 is enormous in the game I put up on Steam. So too for many other attempts to do things in the game like pick locks or check for secret buttons.

This is correct. I found it very rewarding to create a drow bard who was quite ineffective initially when monsters kept making saves because his music skill was not high enough. Slowly it was developed over the course of several levels. Now he is a versatile member of the team, able to control groups or inflict damage, heal and then fire off an arrow from a composite bow.

The same goes for the thief's hiding in shadows and backstabbing. It took some dedicated gradual building and only just now the character is able to hop into the shadows reliably with a higher skill. I think he didn't get his first triple damage attack until a fight against terrormites.

Here's a nugget of wisdom for new players asking about attributes. A 50 in speed will grant an extra attack, resulting in the possibility of triggering three straight attacks in a round. Our quickest party member right now is a berserker with 50+ in the stat. When he connects three times in a row, it adds up to massive damage.

Grimoire is all about reaching statistical thresholds and pushing through them.

Deleted Member 16721

Is this actually worth playing? Do things work? Is it unbalanced but in a challenging/creative way, i.e. with an endless playground of tools to play with and creatively build your characters with?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sherry

Arcane
Is this actually worth playing? Do things work? Is it unbalanced but in a challenging/creative way, i.e. with an endless playground of tools to play with and creatively build your characters with?

Hi!

Gosh we met long ago in a fake RPG thread some guy named Yes! was pushing for but we callecd them out on it and it was closed and so was the KickingStarter page so good job!~

I felt really bad after a mean post to the atuhor of the game that I catually whent and purchased it for support but it iwas not for me/. I Stopped playing when meeting a dwarf who said not to corss a chasm because there is a lot of creatures there that could spread out intot he world but I found no rp way around it. They call them blobbers but it really is for hardcore 80's playrds who grew up to these sort of games who enjoy them. I grew uip playing Kin'gs Quest and Ultima so such blobber games are not for me.

My apology failed though because I am pretty sure the atuhor put me on ignore but I still played it as far as I could. In my honest opinion I do not think it would be for you either.

It's shit.

Folks do like it so that is somehintg right? A lot of hard work went into making it so that is worth mentioning fluent and I tried it so can honestly say it would not be a game I would be willing to finish or even want to follow again if there is some other new game that followed t he same sort of mold.

I am looking forward to Deadfire and that druid game. I think it's called Druidstone.

Thanks,
Sherry

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom