Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News No Truce With The Furies Christmas 2017 Teaser Trailer

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
I'm even more enthusiastic about this now than I was before the trailer, and I thought that was impossible. I didn't even know British Sea Power was still making music. Hail, ZA/UM!

Can we seriously stop with the lame furry jokes, though? If these guys need to ditch one of the coolest titles I've ever seen because some codexians have a bad sense of humor and/or know more about deviant sex than classical mythology, that would be very disappointing. Don't be a force for decline.

While I agree that the 'joke' has become very old; they did bring it upon themselves. If I called my new super awesome RPG "Roosterville: Adventures of a gay cock"; I can't expect that the internet/ya'll understand/accept this to be a kids game about a happy male chicken going on adventures.

But the word furries is nowhere in the title. Hence my complaint about the woeful state of modern education. That or half the people here are dyslexic. Does nobody get forced to read Aeschylus anymore? The furies, as in the Greco-Roman goddesses of vengeance who punish parricides and oath breakers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erinyes

Wait there no word "furries" in title *re-reading title* FUCK! You right, there no such word. Wtf, why I was reading title in such way... Perhaps, because I soo much seen word "furries", but almost forgot about word "furies" Ironically word "furries" almost not used in my language (in context of bestiality fetishist), but "furies" used as more polite way to call angry woman (which used very small amount of people, while many people just swearing), besides ofc using in literature which describes Ancient Myths.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
but "furies" used as more polite way to call angry woman
So this game is about feminism then? I'd prefer furries.

They let you have an inventory for ideologies so you can play as a feminist, a communist, or a full blown KKKodex fascist. Different ideologies get different bonuses from drug use: fascism mixes well with beer etc...

Jrpgfan

Erudite
If they change the name I will pirate.
If they keep the name I will buy.
If they add another "r" to "furies" I'll pre-order the deluxe version(if there's one).

Seriously speaking though, I'm probably gonna wait for some prestigious codex reviews before deciding. This game's been in development for a while now but very little has been shown in the way of gameplay. This is not a good sign, especially with ambitious games like this one made by people with no record in the industry, which most of the time end up being another NMS.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Frian Bargo has a long record in the industry and we ended up with TTON and W2.

From the prior updates, gameplay seems largely centered on the dialogue window. Largely a creatively effort with comparatively little programming, and assets.

If they deliver it's not gonna be average. That's promising in itself.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Believing in an unknown indie developer with no track record is almost as bad as trusting in Todd Howard's words. Sure, you can give them the benefit of doubt atleast, but it's still dumb.

Only reason it's so hyped around here is because the Codex is a Hipsters Den. Anything that's even a little obscure is praised as the next PS:T. I'm glad I realized it a long time ago and cured myself from this disease.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Believing in an unknown indie developer with no track record is almost as bad as trusting in Todd Howard's words. Sure, you can give them the benefit of doubt atleast, but it's still dumb.

Only reason it's so hyped around here is because the Codex is a Hipsters Den. Anything that's even a little obscure is praised as the next PS:T. I'm glad I realized it a long time ago and cured myself from this disease.

I'm half hipster, and I can tell you with perfect sincerity the Codex is not a hipster's den.

Indie developers with no track record are the only dependable source of creativity. Once you develop a track record, you are pretty much stuck with it for the rest of your creative and professional life.

Police procedurals have become so tiresome and repetitive: I could take the script from an episode of CSI, NCIS, Law and Order, Criminal Minds, Bones or The Following, change the names and a few cosmetic details, and pass it off as the script for one of the other shows and no one would know the difference! I do like the unusual artstyle, though: It gives me some slight hope that this may not be quite as generic.

I am not necessarily opposed to supporting a new studio: Cuphead was the first game by its studio, and it was excellent. Capcom's first game, starting decades of excellence was a great shooter called Vulgus. Nintendo and Daisuke Amayo became famous when they made Donkey Kong and Cave Story, which while not their first games, were both great.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Never said it's not gonna be good. I said I don't trust the words of an unkown developer with no previous experience in game development. To me it's the same as those missionaries knocking on your door telling you to believe in some guy with superpowers because they read it in a book. If they show me some proof this guy really existed and was a superhero then I'd give them my attention. Otherwise I'll just shut the door in their faces.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Lul, it's not about trust, it's about their presentation - they explained every detail in a very transparent way, why and how.
I don't need to trust when I can read and analize.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
'Look guys, we have these super ambitious mechanics we're gonna put in our game but you'll have to read and analyze everything until we release the game because other than that we'll only show you concept art'.

I wonder how's that different from i.e No Man's Sky or even Todd Howard.

I'm a VD groupie and I didn't even truly believe his game was gonna be good until he put the demo out. Yet even with all that exposition before the release some people still weren't satisfied with the end result, and that's taking into account he was a respected member of the community.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I wonder how's that different from i.e No Man's Sky or even Todd Howard.

It's different in a way that NMS was bullshit from the beginning, I never felt enthusiasm about it, same about Todd's Tales.
Fucking analize it!

wYfG.jpg

Prime Junta

'Look guys, we have these super ambitious mechanics we're gonna put in our game but you'll have to read and analyze everything until we release the game because other than that we'll only show you concept art'.

I played an early pre-alpha build last year.

All the core stuff was there: the Feld playback experiment, the thought bubbles, the jaw-droppingly gorgeous visuals with dynamic lighting, the red and white stat checks, internal conversations with your skills/characteristics, and what have you. It exists and it's gut-punchingly wonderful. That's no guarantee that it'll ever be finished of course, but it's a hell of lot more than a funky idea, some lines of snappy dialogue, and cool concept art.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The RPG Codex fallacy: In every RPG we try to find out if there is a non-lethal play-through possible. When someone releases an RPG with no combat we are hesitant to call it an RPG any more.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
That's not entirely true, the biggest discussions are often centered around the combat...
It's not the biggest discussion... but it's always there regardless
The non-combat path represents a major alternative, a different way of playing through a game. It is a requested and commonly discussed feature not because everyone wants to talk their way through games but because they want an option to do so in addition to combat not instead of it. I'm very curious about this game (we do need more developers experimenting with dialogue systems and trying new ideas) but making a non-combat (in a traditional way) RPG is a very risky move.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom