Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dark Souls Remastered Announced, Releases May 25th

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: Dark Souls; From Software

Following a recent announcement that the original Dark Souls would be hitting the Nintendo Switch with a remaster version (who cares!), Bandai Namco has also announced their intention to release the remaster on the PC (in addition to other current gen consoles - who cares!).

Dark Souls Remastered comes with an upscaled 4k resolution and it seems like it will be capped at 60 FPS, even on PC. Other features include an expanded multiplayer (up to 6 players) with dedicated servers, and the DLC Artorias of the Abyss as a freebie.
It will be developed by From Software themselves, and not outsourced to a third-party developer. The release is slated for May 25th.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I'm fed with these third person Rolling Souls games.

Why they don't return to their roots and revive King's Field, which was inspired by Ultima Underworld (good ol' time when japs were taking inspirations from the west not other way)?

DaSo1 worked well if you set FPS slightly below 60, no need for another port, srsly.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Didn't Durante already do this years ago?

Sony should remaster Demon's Souls for the PC (or at least PS4).

Last edited:

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Get a cheap controller, worth it imo.

That was the advice given at the time so I did. Result - one smashed controller. I thought I had above average manual dexterity but I've never got on with any controller I've ever tried - even expensive ones. I just end up spinning round like a drunken gyroscope. Maybe I need to try a left-handed one.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Get a cheap controller, worth it imo.

That was the advice given at the time so I did. Result - one smashed controller. I thought I had above average manual dexterity but I've never got on with any controller I've ever tried - even expensive ones. I just end up spinning round like a drunken gyroscope. Maybe I need to try a left-handed one.

I got around 80 hours out if mine (12 bucks), not too bad :shittydog:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
This is awesome. Dark Souls deserves a Remastered edition because the vanilla game + Durante is dated as fuck. I would say it's almost unplayable atm ... unless you have nerves of steel, you enjoy poor PC controls or choppy framerates and so on.

Dark Souls on DaS3 engine is a good idea. It's not something original but it will sell like hotcakes and I'm pretty happy it's not BloodBorn 2 cause that shit is definitely in the making.

OMG.
They are literally remaking the same game for the 5th time in like 7 years.

OMG. You are literally retarded :)

There is an audience for this remastered edition therefore the game will be fine.

Didn't Durante already do this years ago?

Sony should remaster Demon's Souls for the PC (or at least PS4).

DeS and Bloodborn are Sony's exclusives for PS3 and PS4. Even if they get remastered they will not be available on PC.

Also you can play DeS at 60FPS on the RPCS emulator.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Buy Dark Souls again?

I don't know. Can't wait for them to sneak in some "improvements".

Just add Durante's and mouse fix and it's perfectly playable, and will be for a long time.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Remastered? Doesn't that imply better graphics or something? On Switch? :lol:

Ps3 could barely run the game in certain areas, dropping to 5-10fps.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Why they don't return to their roots and revive King's Field, which was inspired by Ultima Underworld (good ol' time when japs were taking inspirations from the west not other way)?.

Well Demon's Souls was a spiritual sucessor to King's Field, the difference being DeS had 3rd person camera and good combat. And Dark Souls 1 & 2 are pretty much DeS sequels.

As long as they just update the visuals, sound and the Multiplayer (to find a match in DS 1, even when it came out, was horrible) that's cool. If they could improve the level design, that would be very cool.
However if they change the gameplay mechanics to bring it closer to DS3 then they can go fuck themselves.

Also they could also the give persons who already own it on PC the option to upgrade for a much cheaper price.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I would say it's almost unplayable atm ...
This is flat out hyperbole. DSFix allows for a persistent 60 FPS (although that can be an issue in a couple of spots that require precise rolls to get to shortcuts). The PC Controls are bad but that's irrelevant. A controller will always be the best way to play Souls games, it's just the nature of the combat.

Vorark

Erudite
Writing was on the wall when they wouldn't put it on sale on Steam. I wonder if they will offer a discount for those who already own the game or will pull another SoTFS scam.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Why they don't return to their roots and revive King's Field, which was inspired by Ultima Underworld (good ol' time when japs were taking inspirations from the west not other way)?.

Well Demon's Souls was a spiritual sucessor to King's Field, the difference being DeS had 3rd person camera and good combat. And Dark Souls 1 & 2 are pretty much DeS sequels.

As long as they just update the visuals, sound and the Multiplayer (to find a match in DS 1, even when it came out, was horrible) that's cool. If they could improve the level design, that would be very cool.
However if they change the gameplay mechanics to bring it closer to DS3 then they can go fuck themselves.

Also they could also the give persons who already own it on PC the option to upgrade for a much cheaper price.

You raise a valid point: there is no way in hell a remastered edition on DS3 engine will keep the original mechanics. I was retarded when I overlooked this issue in my original post.

However they did not confirm the engine yet therefore there is a possibility this is just a visual and networking upgrade with some game world updates. Lost Izalith was definitely not finished on release. Plus other things.

Maybe.

I would say it's almost unplayable atm ...
This is flat out hyperbole. DSFix allows for a persistent 60 FPS (although that can be an issue in a couple of spots that require precise rolls to get to shortcuts). The PC Controls are bad but that's irrelevant. A controller will always be the best way to play Souls games, it's just the nature of the combat.

Honestly, maybe I'm shallow or some shit but I've played at least 200+ hours of Dark Soul with the DSFix and all the additional issues when it was released on PC. However I could not go back after I've played DS2 and DS3.

The game looks absolutely gorgeous but on higher resolution it felt like shitting bricks. Not to mention all kind of visual artefacts. Then there are the controls which are a different kind of clunky but whatever.

I still have hope.

Off-topic (a really bad idea):
If DS3 is a sign for From Software creativity atm then I prefer this remastered edition than some other fan service shit game like DS3.

DS1 == DS2 > DS3

Last edited:

slowtard

Educated
Hey big boss, why you got such good hair?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom