Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Total War: Three Kingdoms - the next major historical Total War title set in ancient China

mbv123

Arbiter
Makes sense, though. I guess the engine is "finished", so now they can use all their models, textures, etc. and reskin them with some slapped on interface for maximum effects.
It doesn't actually make that much sense. There is massive development effort to write all text, design correctly working playable game, and creating all animations and textures. You need to research books for that period. And you need to have extensive testing period.

Basically they are either going for fast cash grab, or they were asked by SEGA. It makes more sense to have Sub-Saharan Africa Total War, than a game in a period that has been done likely over 20 times in last decade. (I include expansions as separate attempt.)
they just want that 3 mil pubg audience

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Makes sense, though. I guess the engine is "finished", so now they can use all their models, textures, etc. and reskin them with some slapped on interface for maximum effects.
It doesn't actually make that much sense. There is massive development effort to write all text, design correctly working playable game, and creating all animations and textures. You need to research books for that period. And you need to have extensive testing period.

Basically they are either going for fast cash grab, or they were asked by SEGA. It makes more sense to have Sub-Saharan Africa Total War, than a game in a period that has been done likely over 20 times in last decade. (I include expansions as separate attempt.)
Feel free not to buy this one because you've seen the theme before.

I'll either wait to learn what gimmick they'll hard code in the campaign, then pick it up in a couple years or skip it entirely.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
May we have an option with fantasy names, so we could finally tell these characters apart?
ni3 men dou1 shi4 bai2chi1.

(Yeah, I'm actually learning this. Just being realistic about the next 30 years. Also, it's surprisingly fun and has great apps for learning. Had to look up idiot, though, they don't teach you that straight away :lol: )
Cuck

What the fuck is that narrator
voice actor: I'm playing a Ming dynasty scholar-official and author of one of the great chinese classics? What's my inspiration? Like those posh brit accents in HBO's Rome?
voice director: Don't be absurd. Fu Manchu, Charlie Chan, and the chop suey delivery guy from earlier.
voice actor: You got it boss!

The only :obviously: option is to have the narrator speak in guanhua with reconstructed phonetics

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
May we have an option with fantasy names, so we could finally tell these characters apart?
ni3 men dou1 shi4 bai2chi1.

(Yeah, I'm actually learning this. Just being realistic about the next 30 years. Also, it's surprisingly fun and has great apps for learning. Had to look up idiot, though, they don't teach you that straight away :lol: )
Cuck
You hurt me.
This won't stand!

37KpSIg.gif

McPlusle

Savant
Gee, I can't wait to buy the complete edition on sale because there's no way in hell I'm buying a CA (or Paradox) game vanilla again. Not until I know they're done with it.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Needs more flying peasants for the full TWxDW crossover experience when the "champions" start the enemy ranks.

Tigranes

Arcane
As opposed to countries where every fucking retard is called David, or Jesus, or Vlad, or Potato...

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Gee, I can't wait to buy the complete edition on sale because there's no way in hell I'm buying a CA (or Paradox) game vanilla again. Not until I know they're done with it.
So how much can you milk the Three Kingdoms period? We can compile a list and check it in a year. I don't know much about that part of history so I can't say how many individual factions there could be.

McPlusle

Savant
So how much can you milk the Three Kingdoms period? We can compile a list and check it in a year. I don't know much about that part of history so I can't say how many individual factions there could be.
I'm sure they'll have no issue locking at least five factions behind a paywall, in addition to making campaign packs for different periods in time.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
They'll do something like what they did with Shogun 2 and sell expansions for multiple eras. Yes, there will be retarded faction mods, but I'm positive they'll visit the Mongols and Opium Wars with full campaigns. Unfortunately, shit campaign AI forces them to rely on hard coded cheats to challenge players, which means whatever 'realm divide' and 'horde' nonsense they force on us will be present in every campaign.

Having modified their Warscape for years now, I hope they build a competent multiplayer campaign as in Shogun 2. I'm really disappointed in their use of custom maps for each bounding box, instead of improving the engine's capabilities drawing battle maps straight from the cmap.
Maybe Chinese Civil War DLC?
This is their last 'Warscape' game, so they might. Opium Wars are more likely, don't you think?

Last edited by a moderator:

mondblut

Arcane
As opposed to countries where every fucking retard is called David, or Jesus, or Vlad, or Potato...

I don't remember any strategy set in the West where each of the hundreds of characters is a variation of Jim Jones, John James and Jeff Jobs. We have invented names to tell people apart, not to yell "hey, Zhu Xhu" and have half the China wave back.

Delterius

Arcane

I don't remember any strategy set in the West where each of the hundreds of characters is a variation of Jim Jones, John James and Jeff Jobs. We have invented names to tell people apart, not to yell "hey, Zhu Xhu" and have half the China wave back.
ya know

one of them was blue, the other green and a third was red

pretty easy to tell apart

Maybe Chinese Civil War DLC?
query failed

please be more specific
I think he means the Republican civil war.

Oh.

Well, isn't that a tad recent?

I'd expect that a plane or two showed up during that one.

Tigranes

Arcane

Oh yeah there's no way you could set a historical strategy game in Western Europe and have this result

220px-LouisXIII.jpg

Are

235px-Louis_XIV_of_France.jpg

You

220px-Louis_XV_by_Maurice-Quentin_de_La_Tour.jpg

Fucking

220px-Antoine-Fran%C3%A7ois_Callet_-_Louis_XVI%2C_roi_de_France_et_de_Navarre_%281754-1793%29%2C_rev%C3%AAtu_du_grand_costume_royal_en_1779_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

Retarded

Latro

Arcane

I give them my personal nicks like an x-com.

zhu chu - chu chu
liu bei - beibey
zhongliang - dong man

mondblut

Arcane

Oh yeah there's no way you could set a historical strategy game in Western Europe and have this result

220px-LouisXIII.jpg

Are

235px-Louis_XIV_of_France.jpg

You

220px-Louis_XV_by_Maurice-Quentin_de_La_Tour.jpg

Fucking

220px-Antoine-Fran%C3%A7ois_Callet_-_Louis_XVI%2C_roi_de_France_et_de_Navarre_%281754-1793%29%2C_rev%C3%AAtu_du_grand_costume_royal_en_1779_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

Retarded

Gee, wonder why they added fucking numerals to their names. Probably because they are not chinese and prefer to tell their kings apart.

Not to mention these fellows did not rule simultaneously and you don't have to spend your time trying to figure whether Xhu Chu is currently ruling Dong Bong, or it was Cho Zho and Xhu Chu is at Bang Gang.

Their family members Anne, Maria, Marie, Marie Therese, Marie Louise, Louise Elisabeth, also say hi

Why would you have women in historical strategy? There is no cooking to be done.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
I have no idea why people play these games. There's zero strategy involved, bare minimal city management, garbage diplomacy, idiot AI, basically all 4x elements are a joke. Battles are trivial and take forever, no depth beyond some basic positioning and managing retard AI archers to keep them from running into cavalry or whatever.

Each game is basically a reskin of the last and they've released like 10 main series games and each has like $200 worth of crap dlc. And every game is a hit because of some tard on twitch shilling 'LOOK AT DIS EPIC BATTLE GUYS WOW LIKE 2000 UNITS ON MAP WOWOW SO AMAZING'
Which vanilla TW game has long battles? I've played most of the historical ones and all of them have shitty short battles without mods, especially Shogun 2. To say any vanilla battle is too long is retarded, because most of them don't last longer than the time it takes to load them on CA's mouthbreathing heartclogged engine. Skirmish mode is not AI and you can turn it off.

It sells because people mod it to be much better than whatever mangled half failed abortion CA spits it out to be, which anyone would know unless they play PC games like console games and give up if they don't feel the 10/10 masterpiece after 30 seconds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom