Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

i bet they dont even touch the content. lost izalith &demons ruins will stay as shitty as they were in 2011. only this time you can fight 6 taurus demons with your 4 bross in 60 fps. bed of chaos in 4k is still utter shit.

at least SotFS changed a lot of encounters for better, moved items and enemies around and brought some new mechanics. with this one i will wait for 5€ sale

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Wow, what a shitty, shitty announcement. So the only thing this will do is split the community because most people won't give two shits about the "brand new" 60 fps since DSFix can already do that and it's almost certain the multiplayer will run on different servers than the original.

If this is really as much as the cynical cash grab as it looks like then fuck FromSoft, seriously.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Official English fact sheet via Gematsu: https://gematsu.com/2018/01/dark-souls-remastered-announced-ps4-xbox-one-switch-pc

Specs
  • Platforms: PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC / Steam, Nintendo Switch
  • Genre: Action RPG
  • Release Date: May 25, 2018
  • Publisher: Bandai Namco
  • Developer: From Software
  • Players: 1 Player (Single-Player), 1 to 6 Players (Multiplayer)
  • Rating: RP
  • Localization: Voiceover (EN), Subtitles (EN, SP, FR, BR)
  • Resolution and Frame Rate
    • Xbox One (1080p, 60 FPS)
    • PlayStation 4 (1080p, 60 FPS)
    • Xbox One X (Upscaled 4K,60 FPS)
    • PlayStation 4 Pro (Upscaled 4K, 60 FPS)
    • PC (Native 4K, all textures 2K unconverted, 60 FPS)
    • Nintendo Switch (TV mode: 1080p, 30 FPS; Handheld mode: 720p 30 FPS)
About

Then, there was fire. Re-experience the critically acclaimed, genre-defining game that started it all. Beautifully remastered, return to Lordran in stunning high-definition detail running at 60fps. Dark Souls Remastered includes the main game plus the Artorias of the Abyss DLC.

Key Features
  • Deep and Dark Universe – Delve into an epic dark fantasy universe stricken by decline and the Curse. Explore its intricate world design – full of hidden passages, dungeons and secrets – and uncover its deeply rooted lore.
  • Each End is a New Beginning – Each playthrough surprises you with new challenges and unexpected facets of the game. Don’t bet on completing the game only once.
  • Gameplay Richness and Possibilities – Hundreds of unique combinations of weaponry, armor, magic and crafting options to create your own playstyle and gaming experience.
  • Sense of Learning, Mastering, and Accomplishment – From your first steps to mastery, build your character while refining your playing skills. Learn to strategize freely and experience the rewarding taste of overcoming daunting foes.
  • The Way of the Multiplayer (Up to 6 Players with Dedicated Servers*) Whatever your motivations are to play online – collaboration or confrontation, support or betrayal – you’ll find your true home among the nine covenants. Which allegiance will you choose? *All 4 platforms will have dedicated servers.

draug

Novice
Maybe a bit of an underwhelming announcement, but as a Switch owner, I'm looking forward to some mobile Souls.

RoSoDude

Arcane
I'll wager now that they'll leave in the godawful excuse for mouse support we got in the original PC port.

sullynathan

Arcane
I just want to know if I'll get it for free since I already own the game. I'm excited.

What's that trailer music?

Last edited:

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
KK3EZGh.png

Perkel

Arcane
Wow, what a shitty, shitty announcement. So the only thing this will do is split the community because most people won't give two shits about the "brand new" 60 fps since DSFix can already do that and it's almost certain the multiplayer will run on different servers than the original.

If this is really as much as the cynical cash grab as it looks like then fuck FromSoft, seriously.

Original PC release multiplayer is FUCKING SHIT even after moving to steamworks instead of games for windows live. To play multiplayer correctly you have to run 2 separate modded programs and still pray it works or you will have to restart game and do it again AND THEN you need to wait a GOOD WHILE for nodes to pick up up to 20 nodes upon which you will finally maybe be able to summon someone. And don't even start with signs which have like minutes of lifetime after someone was summoned already lol.

Also 60fps worked but not everywhere and still could dip to 15 fps in some places (depending on your CPU). Secondly you had to switch back to 30 fps if you wanted to jump on some ledges like that one when you want to back to asylum.
BUT i agree it should be patch to original game.

What i want to know is that if there are any graphical engine changes. I don't think they remade DS1 engine for PS4. So they are probably using Either DS2 one or DS3 one. Probably DS2 one.

In which case i hope they won't fuck up art design of game. DS2 is fucking ugly as shit in both versions and DS1 used a lot of fucking nice metalic shaders which are completely gone in DS2 and makes armor look like cardboard rather than metal.

sullynathan

Arcane
Current pc version of dark souls is still shit even with the stupid mods. I was asking for a fix for years and they finally did it

cvv should've remastered demons souls so you can stop watching videos and sucking it's dick and actually play it

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Original PC release multiplayer is FUCKING SHIT

Sure it is. But my point stands - unless we'll get it for free or it's like 10 bucks many people aren't gonna shit out more heavy dorra for a game they already have just for better multiplayer experience. So the already slim community (around 2,5k concurrent players at any given time) will be split even more. When I replayed recently I had like 3 invasions in my 60 hours or so and I've even camped the forest for a while, without result.

The only hope is a huge number will buy the remaster and will come back to the game, so it'll be truly alive again, at least for a while.

Perkel

Arcane
My point is that if multiplayer works properly then everyone who cares will move to new version and throw into garbage old one.

Also mind you that while DFfix is pretty popular i am 100% sure that most of people play in their shitty non modded version because that is how casuls play. Meaning that proper version will have much more interesting numbers of people playing it than just 2,5 k even some time after release.

Unwanted

MI.Tex

Unwanted
inb4 the remastered version needs a dsfix remaster

But i'm for this, DS 1 is the best Souls game, DS 2 is close second and in DS 3 i didn't even play 5 hours.... something just doesn't click there for me, and the gothic feeling graphics do not help either, probably too much of bloodborne there which i dindn't like either.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I present you the Dark souls remastered drinking game! When the game releases, take a chug of estus beer if you see some people ranting about this things on the internet:

• In getting the 60fps to work, there will be some slight oddities in the physics. Most likely, jump timings will be slightly different.
  • If it runs on a different engine that the DS1 code base, I expect minor parry timing changes that will drive old timers mad
  • If it actually uses DS3 lighting model, there will be some areas that many fans will complain have “lost their atmosphere”. There will be 45 minute Youtube videos explaining in exhaustive detail how the port team missed the mark so bad that any fan out there would have done a multi-fold better job (the videos, of course, could be 3 minutes of comparison shots and be just as effective).
  • If texture work is actually redone, there will be multiple areas that have changed/reduced effects (glows/depth of field/particles) that many will claim “ruins the atmosphere”.
  • There will be at least one (1) damage change/bug to some class of weapon or magic that will have numerous message board posters claiming it “ruins the game”.
  • There will be at least one (1) AI or aggro range change/bug to some enemy or boss that will have numerous message board posters claiming it “ruins the game”
  • The console versions that have been stated to target 60fps will still have some pretty bad frame drops in Blighttown and other heavy areas. The PC version will have issues in similar areas, barring the player having some Big Blue level rig.
Good times ahead, brethren!

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ok things we can expect:
-Updated textured
Probably upscaled versions of the original textures or pretty good copies... think the stuff Bluefin did for the God of War Remastered versions
One of the few things that are probably not needed by PC users
-4k Resolutions and 60 FPS
This should have been done 5 years ago but I will take it, especially if they manage to adjust the ingame logic both for the jumps and adjust the performance of the game to be up to the level of the recent games... which manage to have pretty good FPS with little stuttering, which would make it a very enticing offer for current PC owners alone
-Updated lighting and shaders
Uff this could be tricky, I love the moodiness of the original Dark Souls but I will keep my opinion on this one but could be either very good or very bad... this can be acomplished by mods too so let’s just wait and see but I have the feeling they will just add ambient occusion, some shaders and maybe depth of field; all of these have been already implemented by DSFix

Things we could get:
-Updated controls and menus
While the control for Dark Souls was fantastic they have managed to add 2 very good additions to them; the option of clicking the right hand stick for jumping, using the control pad to switch between menus and the ability to use several items at the same time
All of these are feasible and would be more than welcome tweaks for fans of the series in general
As for as gameplay mechanics such as dodging or parrying I hope they stay away from those
Also a very good reason for this remastered version

No way in hell we are getting:
SotFS style remastered areas
While this is mostly a good thing, it is also a very bad thing since it could be the final chance for tweaking obviously broken and unfinished areas such as Lost Izilith and to a certain extent Demon Ruins and that clusterfuck of epic fails the Bed of Chaos...

Looking at the list and thinking owners of Dark Souls get the Remastered version for $20 I would say it is fucking fantastic... I can have the standard version running okish on my laptop and the Remastered version on my gaming PC and probably my PS4

Yeah most of these “remastered” is stuff we already have thanks to DSFix and other mods on the PC but it is almost the same case as the Remastered Skyrim; it tweaked things a bit taking some of the best mods and better shaders had done for a better experience for players (console users) who didn’t have access to those options before

In the end if all we get is a proper 60 FPS version with updated textures, shaders and maybe some of the newer control changes and updated menus then I feel I will be well served

I am dangerously close to getting a Switch for Zelda and Mario mostly and this might be the thing that pushes me across the edge...playing Dark Souls on the move seems just so perfect for me

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom