Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Total War: Three Kingdoms - the next major historical Total War title set in ancient China

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.totalwar.com/games/three-kingdoms/

The year is 190CE. China is in turmoil. The Han Dynasty crumbles before the child-emperor. He is but a figurehead; a mere puppet for the tyrant warlord Dong Zhuo. It is a brutal and oppressive regime, and as Dong Zhuo’s power grows, the empire slips further into the cauldron of anarchy. But hope yet blossoms.

Three heroes, sworn to brotherhood in the face of tyranny, rally support for the trials ahead. Scenting opportunity, warlords from China’s great families follow suit, forming a fragile coalition in a bid to challenge Dong Zhuo’s remorseless rule. Will they triumph against the tyrant, or will personal ambition shatter their already crumbling alliance and drive them to supremacy?

The crucible fizzes. Allegiances shift. The fires of conflict stoke opportunity. Only one thing is certain: the very future of China will be shaped by its champions. Total War: Three Kingdoms is the next major historical strategy game in the award-winning Total War series.

https://comingsoon.totalwar.com

RIP Koei, I guess.

edit: Steam page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/779340/Total_War_Three_Kingdoms/

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigranes

Arcane
What the fuck is that narrator

They are never going to come halfway close to KOEI on visualising the Three Kingdoms & its personnel, and probably not the historical accuracy either, but I suppose this is the one setting that could make me hope they remember how to make games again.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I have no idea why people play these games. There's zero strategy involved, bare minimal city management, garbage diplomacy, idiot AI, basically all 4x elements are a joke. Battles are trivial and take forever, no depth beyond some basic positioning and managing retard AI archers to keep them from running into cavalry or whatever.

Each game is basically a reskin of the last and they've released like 10 main series games and each has like $200 worth of crap dlc. And every game is a hit because of some tard on twitch shilling 'LOOK AT DIS EPIC BATTLE GUYS WOW LIKE 2000 UNITS ON MAP WOWOW SO AMAZING'

Tigranes

Arcane
There's zero strategy involved, bare minimal city management, garbage diplomacy, idiot AI, basically all 4x elements are a joke.

honestly one could say the same about Koei ROTK

ROTK2-5 are, at least, "real strategy games" built with all the building blocks intact. The AI may be stupid, but the stupidity usually involves attacking the same place 20 times, not randomly splitting their armies into 90 million pieces and walking around in a daze. The games may be ultimately easy peasy, but combat didn't involve "stand there shooting cannons at them while they stand still in an open field". And so on.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
DADUDO

Needles to say, I'm excited. Would be nice if we didn't get classical Han propaganda about Liu Bei & co, though.

Last edited:

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Three heroes, sworn to brotherhood in the face of tyranny, rally support for the trials ahead. Scenting opportunity, warlords from China’s great families follow suit, forming a fragile coalition in a bid to challenge Dong Zhuo’s remorseless rule. Will they triumph against the tyrant, or will personal ambition shatter their already crumbling alliance and drive them to supremacy?
I'm guessing it's the second option that happens?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
May we have an option with fantasy names, so we could finally tell these characters apart?
ni3 men dou1 shi4 bai2chi1.

(Yeah, I'm actually learning this. Just being realistic about the next 30 years. Also, it's surprisingly fun and has great apps for learning. Had to look up idiot, though, they don't teach you that straight away :lol: )

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Makes sense, though. I guess the engine is "finished", so now they can use all their models, textures, etc. and reskin them with some slapped on interface for maximum effects.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I woud not buy CA shit. Unless theywill release Medieval 3. Which will probably alsobe shit. At least there is still hope - Warhammer series is not a complete unplayable crap like Rome 2 or Empire. Maybe they, finally, fired their AI department but Warhammer is set in a dead and discontinued setting so have no appeal to me.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Battles are trivial and take forever,

:what:
What about that? They do.
With several full armies taking part in a battle, speeding it up isn't really an option except for the very beginning before the first groups meet. And then it is just clicking single units and sending them around to where they are needed - and most units move slow.
In TW: WH I spent easily 20-30 minutes in big battles. And you can have many of those after each other each turn when shit is hitting the fan. So you do one or two turns and your gaming session for today is over.
I'd call that taking forever, too.

Small battles or those with a clearly stronger side are different, but those you auto-resolve to save time anyway.
This whole mess of battles being the centerpiece of the games but at the same time you just auto-resolve 80% or more of them - that is one of the series' biggest problem, IMO.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Makes sense, though. I guess the engine is "finished", so now they can use all their models, textures, etc. and reskin them with some slapped on interface for maximum effects.
It doesn't actually make that much sense. There is massive development effort to write all text, design correctly working playable game, and creating all animations and textures. You need to research books for that period. And you need to have extensive testing period.

Basically they are either going for fast cash grab, or they were asked by SEGA. It makes more sense to have Sub-Saharan Africa Total War, than a game in a period that has been done likely over 20 times in last decade. (I include expansions as separate attempt.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom