Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sentinel

Arcane
Great games require great passion. Sawyer doesn't care for D&D, class based systems, or medieval fantasy settings. PoE2 is a cashgrab from top to bottom.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
i think obsidian has proven they don't have a FNV in them anymore

Not to play the Devil's advocate, but I think it's too early to say that. They only have 1 game out, I don't count Tranny. Sure, PoE was ...a mess, but it had legitimate reasons to be a mess, reasons that are no longer relevant for the sequel. Which means they have a tiny, miniscule chance to get at least something right this time. The writing will be shit, I guarantee that, but everything else has a chance to be good.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
If he has a passion for languages, how did this writing came to be. Occasional slipping of words for new learners of a language is common and understandable but a language learner consistently using words that are from their native language is just silly schlock.

Sherry

Arcane
Hi!

tu everyone for keeping this thread going strong it is certainly going to win beta of the year and a big thank-you for all the links to videos and articles I have so much to catch up on and get the ball rolling again as the new year is here and things have slowed down to be more manageable with being able to participate again. Lots of old friends still posting too which is great I hope everyone had a good holiday and the new year is treating you well.

See everyone on the ship all aboard!

Thanks,
Sherry

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Ah yes, that debate again. Who would you rather have as project lead, a boring but reliable accountant who has no passion but gets shit done, or a wild creative genius who bleeds for his artistic vision, but doesn't remember where his pants are.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ah yes, that debate again. Who would you rather have as project lead, a boring but reliable accountant who has no passion but gets shit done, or a wild creative genius who bleeds for his artistic vision, but doesn't remember where his pants are.
Both really,when it is an accountant the game is boring but well budgeted,when it is a creative genius....numanuma.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Who's "they"? Fenstermaker in his interview with us back in 2016 said he'd prefer that, but he's not in charge. I'd say the commercial incentives right now are very much in favor of bigger games. If they were planning to make a smaller game at some point, those plans have probably been scrapped.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
That's probably all their playtesting sessions combined. It's obviously not a single playthrough. And shorter game? PoE was 90% waste of time with nothing going on, being stuck in a time bubble, it felt like Existential Terror: The Game. I don't know where I'm going with this, but "we want to make a shorter game" triggered me for some reason, lol.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
That's probably all their playtesting sessions combined. It's obviously not a single playthrough. And shorter game? PoE was 90% waste of time with nothing going on, being stuck in a time bubble, it felt like Existential Terror: The Game. I don't know where I'm going with this, but "we want to make a shorter game" triggered me for some reason, lol.

Existential terror was what it was going for narrative wise so they have succeeded.

I was also extremely triggered by we want to make a shorter game. I hope they make a game that's not possible to finish in a single life time.

Jezal_k23

For a lot of people, many RPGs are not possible to finish in a single life time. It's always a minority of players who actually finishes them. :smug:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
finishing games is a tricky thing. there are some RPGs I love that I intentionally stopped playing right before the ending (usually to begin another playthrough) and there are many RPGs I love that I rushed to see the ending, and there are even more that I enjoyed but lost interest in seeing their climax.

SR: Dragonfall was one I finished twice to completion, but FNV is one where I intentionally put off the final hoover dam battle because I kept reaching that point then going back to begin another playthrough in order to experience the game again.

I suppose it has to do with the amount of mutually exclusive content for the player but that has little bearing on the actual quality of the RPG/game itself.

I realize a lot of people don't finish RPGs due to lack of time but I'd argue: was it really lack of time? People tend to keep doing something they enjoy regardless... I'd say most people who didn't finish a game simply became bored with it.

Also I just realized you weren't even arguing about time constraints, you were just stating a simple fact that most people don't finish games which is true.

OOPS

Trashos

Arcane
Hi!

tu everyone for keeping this thread going strong it is certainly going to win beta of the year and a big thank-you for all the links to videos and articles I have so much to catch up on and get the ball rolling again as the new year is here and things have slowed down to be more manageable with being able to participate again. Lots of old friends still posting too which is great I hope everyone had a good holiday and the new year is treating you well.

See everyone on the ship all aboard!

Thanks,
Sherry

Who's that and why is her location "The Shrine of Cuckoldry Compassion"?

Ruzen

Savant
I too think, the lack of time, is not the reason most players not finishing big RPG. It's because It's very easy to get sidetracked and forgot about the main plot. Witcher 3 made exemplary work on that part. The main story gives you side quests and the player never forgets why he was doing this in the first place. Not just because of some stranger he talked in the bar or street. From the prologue to last act every main quest plot opens 3 to 5 different side quests in order to continue the main story. Which feels more natural when these quests take you different places and you wanted to do the errands in those regions for a short time.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Time and loss of interest are the two main reasons to never finish a game.
Has happened to me quite some times. Usually it's games that have repetitive gameplay or a boring storyline that I will abandon... and will keep thinking to go back to them for about a month or two, until I decide to uninstall.
Then, a year later, I will reinstall and probably go through the same process again. I might be a bit weird now that I think about it

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom