Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Interesting and a bit technical interview with Tim Sweeney about the birth of Unreal Editor: https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Dav...on_the_first_version_of_the_Unreal_Editor.php

Yeah! He had been inspired by Bullfrog’s game, Magic Carpet. James is this insanely brilliant programmer, but he only wrote code in assembly language, he didn't want to learn C. [laughs] And so – in pure assembly language – he wrote this 3D engine that rendered terrain backgrounds and game objects. He didn't want to build an editing tool, so he actually built a BSP tree by hand and placed a capsule in the middle of this terrain. When I saw that, I was like "No, no, no, James, James... this is not how we do things." [laughs]

I said "I'll write an editor”, and so I set about building the user interface for the Unreal Editor, laying out the UI in Visual Basic, of all things. It had a text mode command-line interface to the C++ engine that was doing the rendering. Next I wrote the wireframe editor, and it went from there.

But I said to myself, before I figure this out, I'm just going to write a little texture mapper. So, I went through Michael Abrash's articles on texture mapping and looked at some stuff that Billy Zelsnack has shared early on. The texture mapping was actually pretty simple, so I said, "I guess I can figure this out".

The one real piece of wizardry in the early Unreal Editor – before I implemented lighting and things like that – was the real-time BSP tree creation. The idea is that you can reposition brushes in 3-D space, and then all the BSP work is updated completely in real-time.

This had some mind-boggling implications, and I created this torus-building tool just to show off how cool it was. I got together with James – who, remember, had been building his BSPs by hand – and I said "check this out." I created two toruses that were interlocked, and subtracted them from the world, and he said "Whoa, no way? That's awesome!" It was a real example of programmer geekery.

[...]

Carmack had written this really advanced editor on the NeXT. I'd read all about it and I had seen screenshots of it, but I never actually used it. At the time, I thought to myself "Holy shit, Carmack wrote a real-time BSP editor!" What I didn't realize was that it wasn't actually real-time, there was this re-build process and all this other offline stuff. I didn't know that, and so I thought I had to create a completely real-time thing, and so I did. [laughs]

Archibald

Arcane
What they are forgetting is that these shortcuts used to be called cheats and were free. Fuck these assholes.

I suppose some people feel better in their head if they got ahead not by using cheat codes, but by... paying dollars and game activating (in essence) same cheat codes without their direct input. You also can rationalize how you are supporting the devs and its all cool.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
DTMQSDBWAAAVpVy.jpg

Play of the game

812053E539385B43206C6E26D76EA68B4DAD9EAC

"Pikachu"

giphy.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom