Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lesser known point and click games

zeitgeist

Magister
I remember these two as being quite fun, and the sequel is probably the first adventure game I ever played where you can select multiple characters, since I somehow played it before discovering MM, DotT, or IHNMaIMS.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Innocent Until Caught was terrible. I never completed it because of that awful interface. Didn't you have an inventory limit that forced you to drop items around ?

I did enjoy the Guilty demo a while back though. It's nice that the guy finally gets caught by the taxmen.

How's Bud Tucker in Double Trouble ?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Also, do not forget Dune, Captain Blood, Commander Blood and Lost Eden from Cryo. Gameplay is erratic, if existent at all, but as far as atmosphere is concerned, they are some of the best games ever produced in France (and the most atmospheric games ever).

You might also want to check Les Voyageurs Du Temps (time wars ?), and Lost in Time 1&2.

RuySan

Augur
Both The Dream Machine and Ben There Dan That/Time Gentlemen Please are criminally underrated.

The Dream Machine not only is probably the best looking point and clicker, but also one of the overall most beautiful games i've ever played. I found no fault with it. Great puzzles and plot.

Ben There Dan That/Time Gentlemen Please are good in the puzzle department but won me over from how funnt it is. Not Monkey Island Funny. I mean real funny. I could spend all day combining wrong items just to check the characters reactions.

From older games I second the Goblins trilogy. Specially the third one. Some puzzles are a nonsensical but love the look and slapstick comedy.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Holy shit, that nightlong game had a amiga release in 2000. video fmv 1/4 of the size of the screen ahah.

Nice find.

Try out some of the better ags games. The two pirate gal games, Donna Avenger of Blood, several recent commercial ones. I'm not too into the scene so i don't know what else is available there.

Donna is free here: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1523/

v1rus

Arcane
Although I don't know if you'd enjoy my Recommendations that much, since I believe Simon the Sorcerer II is arguably my favorite Adventure game ever.

I probably just wasnt in the mood.

Plus - I really need subtitles. Really.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
There is also two Ringworld games and I hear the first one is supposed to be good ?
Neither is that good but the first one is worse. It's almost an interactive movie, with very small areas, few and easy puzzles, a plot that skates on thin ice, and feels more like a theme park run through locations from Niven's book. I like the book, but felt the game was completely pointless. The 2nd one is better in some ways, longer with more and better puzzles, and much larger locations that capture the immensity of the Ringworld, but the problem is that it does this by having hundreds of empty screens to traverse while going from one place to the next or hunting for the items you need, and it's tedious. Still at least it's a good game with bad flaws, rather than an almost non-game with bad everything.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Here's an obscure one for ya fellas:

Sophie's World

Based on Gaarder's novella. It wasn't just one of the first video games I had ever played as a kid, it also became my introduction to the world of philosophy. Man, was I amazed by that guy Socrates.
While the puzzles are easy —it remains an educational game at its core—, few other games I've ever played managed to capture the sense of wonder one gets delving into this mysterious world as it jumps between eras, the portrayal of abstract concepts, and its own meta-fictional plot.
Game takes no longer than an hour to beat, but the impressions will stay with you for much longer than that.

Last edited:

Dyspaire

Cipher
I assume everyone knows of the three Dynamix ones (Willy Beamish, Heart of China, and Rise of the Dragon)?

I swear I played a version of Rise of the Dragon with voice-acting in the intro movie. This was for PC back when the game was released in 1990.

Never been able to find a version with that voice-over since. I distinctly remember the shrill scream from the woman when she overdoses, and the voice of the dealer who gives her the drugs.

I remember seeing a little blurb on the PC game box touting the inclusion of voice acting. It was really only a few lines of digitized speech in the entire game, but that was a big deal in 1990 on a PC.

(Not mistakenly recalling the Sega Version, which I know also had voice-acting.)

Anyone ever find an abandonware version that included the digitized speech?

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I thought Igor: Objective Uikokahonia was decent... Bud Tucker was terrible.

Backpacker: The Lost Florence Gold mine was great, with a full classic Sierra interface and look descriptions. (might need an VM running 98/XP to run it, though)

CUgs0Hv.png

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I swear I played a version of Rise of the Dragon with voice-acting in the intro movie. This was for PC back when the game was released in 1990.

Never been able to find a version with that voice-over since. I distinctly remember the shrill scream from the woman when she overdoses, and the voice of the dealer who gives her the drugs.

I remember seeing a little blurb on the PC game box touting the inclusion of voice acting. It was really only a few lines of digitized speech in the entire game, but that was a big deal in 1990 on a PC.

(Not mistakenly recalling the Sega Version, which I know also had voice-acting.)

Anyone ever find an abandonware version that included the digitized speech?
There's only one PC version of the game, and it does have voice acting in the first part for the intro, for both the dealer and the girl (and a random passerby). These are the only voices in the game though. Not sure what you mean, the voices should always play if you have Sound Blaster as the sound source.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I assume everyone knows of the three Dynamix ones (Willy Beamish, Heart of China, and Rise of the Dragon)?

There is a way to get audio in the intro i forget (i bet it's using ultrasound or mt32 or something retarded like that because some games didn't work with both audio sfx and music at the same time).

However there is a version with actual full voice acting for everything including narrator descriptions (might have shortened descriptions). It's on the Sega Mega-CD if i recall correctly, and cut the 'sex' scene from the game.

edit: oh you already know. So whatever.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I liked the story in Inherit the Earth. However I thought the puzzles were particulary uninspired, many empty mazes and big areas with only one point of interest to find, the only fun puzzle I have in mind at the moment is when you need to enter a house where you're delivering a letter to a doctor or something.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Most obscure Cryo games are prolly those about the time traveling professor looking for his wife. There was one set in Pompei, one in muslim ruled Jerusalem.

They also made a p. decent Thorgal game.

And of course, Salammbô.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Salammbô was kind of cool, even if the two timed segments were annoying. Distinctive. The '3d' system hasn't aged well, but besides that, a very striking art direction and vaguely demonic society.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom