Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List of decent D&D cRPGs

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
This year I am going to do a D&D cRPG marathon. But I do not intend to be an absolute completionist. Instead, I want to focus only on those games which are fun. So I've compiled a preliminary list of D&D cRPGs which I gonna play:

Gold Box series
Eye of the Beholder series
Dark Sun series
Dungeon Hack
Ravenloft series
Al-Qadim
Menzoberranzan
Infinity Engine series
NWN series
The Temple of Elemental Evil

I've played all these games previously, so I kinda sure that they are good or at least decent.

But perhaps there are other non-shitty D&D cRPGs which I am not familiar with. Please share your thoughts and comments on this.
For instance, are 'Order of the Griffon' and 'Warriors of the Eternal Sun' worth playing?

Doktor Best

Arcane
Isnt Knights of the Chalice also D&D based? People mention it here quite often as very well made combatheavy D&D romp.

The developer is an idiot who wont release it on GOG or Steam though, so youre gonna have to pirate or throw money at him to download it on his shitty homepage.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
You can go here for the list of licensed games:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dungeons_&_Dragons_video_games

I think you and Doktor Best covered all of the fun ones, though. Warriors of the Eternal Sun has a small fan base, so you might enjoy it. I didn't like the console interface. I know they are arcade games and more action than RPG, but I did love playing Shadow over Mystara and also the Tower of Doom.

The Infinity games of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, and Planescape: Torment are good choices you've listed.
I'm enjoying the first Dark Sun game right now.
All of the Gold Box games are great. Play FRUA and the Ray Dyer modules, too.
Dungeon Hack is alright.
Knights of the Chalice is great.
So is the Temple of Elemental Evil.
I never liked the NWN games, but it's your choice.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Does your Gold-Box series include Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures? Because there are a shit-ton of D&D based modules for FRUA.

Your list also doesn't include Sword Coast Legends, which wasn't too bad as a single player game for what it was.

You're also missing Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor (though I'd understand skipping that one, even though I've known some people who liked it).

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I know you've already played them but if I had to give a personal list of good D&D games, I'd go with
Gold Box Series
Eye of the beholder 1 & 2
Dark Sun 1 (I haven't played the second one yet)
Icewind Dale 1 and Planescape : Torment
ToEE
Knights of the chalice (don't skip this one, it's very good)

although I stopped playing the first Ravenloft quite early so maybe it's better than the impression I got (haven't played the second one) and haven't played Al-Qadim.

'Warriors of the Eternal Sun' worth playing?
It's OK, not great but not as bad as Menzoberranzan or NWN as far as I'm concerned.

Keye_

Educated
For the NWN series you might as well only play the best expansions and/or the best fan made modules.
That way you might actually play something new.
Going through the base campaigns for a second time seems like a bad idea, I'd get burned out after the first chapters probably..

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Although I'm not sure I would even call it decent I guess that in case you've never played it then Birthright : The Gorgon's Alliance may be worth a try out of curiosity. Its bad reputation is legit but I had some fun especiially with the grand strategy part and for example the differences and asymetry between the different factions you can choose from.

This year I am going to do a D&D cRPG marathon. But I do not intend to be an absolute completionist. Instead, I want to focus only on those games which are fun. So I've compiled a preliminary list of D&D cRPGs which I gonna play:

The Temple of Elemental Evil

I've played all these games previously, so I kinda sure that they are good or at least decent.

But perhaps there are other non-shitty D&D cRPGs which I am not familiar with. Please share your thoughts and comments on this.
For instance, are 'Order of the Griffon' and 'Warriors of the Eternal Sun' worth playing?

When replaying ToEE, don't forget the mighty fine Temple+ add-on. It is a must-have !

Jason Liang

Arcane
Warriors of the Eternal Sun is ok, although it isn't a cRPG (it's a Genesis console rpg). Actually the combat is quasi rtwp so it's sort of like a predecessor to Baldur's Gate: EE (but using the Eye of the Beholder ruleset).

You are missing the D&D Arcade games Tower of Doom and Shadow Over Mystara. They're both really awesome, two of the best D&D video game spinoffs.

Also the Spelljammer game, usually not considered one of the "gold box" games.

Actually wikipedia has a comprehensive listing of D&D games that you can consult.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dungeons_&_Dragons_video_games

Nuclear Explosion

Warriors of the Eternal Sun is ok, although it isn't a cRPG (it's a Genesis console rpg). Actually the combat is quasi rtwp so it's sort of like a predecessor to Baldur's Gate: EE (but using the Eye of the Beholder ruleset).
It has turn-based top-down combat outside of dungeons and real-time blobber combat in dungeons, IIRC. It doesn't have RTwP combat.

It's an OK game. I enjoyed it enough to finish it when I played it a few years ago. About all I remember is that the turn-based combat is easy and that it does not use the AD&D 2e rules.

Deleted Member 16721

Cosign Warriors of the Eternal Sun. Great little RPG IMO. It mixes first-person dungeon crawling with isometric world exploration. Turn-based combat outside and realtime combat indoors. A few environmental type puzzles in exploration. It's dope.

Dungeons & Dragons: Tactics for the PSP is very overlooked. It's got deeper turn-based combat and character creation than ToEE. Turn-based, 3.5 Edition, tons of skills, deities make a difference and there are even some choice & consequence aspects and good/evil stories depending on your alignment. It's great. A bit too easy though. Wish they could port it to PC and mod in harder difficulty mods.

Shameless plug but I started a Let's Play of it awhile back. In Ep 1 you can at least see the character creation. Keep in mind I was very rusty with my D&D at the time, so bear with me, but you can see what it looks like at least. Game has Psychic Warriors and Psions, bruh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhhHRVkMaLM&list=PLhv3GvL8EaJG17xxCXnF7tGua9e53dF9S

If you like Warriors of the Eternal Sun then the same team (I think) made Dungeons & Dragons: Order of the Griffon for Turbografx 16.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted Member 16721

I also enjoyed Daggerdale. It ain't as bad as some people say. Mostly an underground dungeon crawler with action combat, but it ain't bad. There are a few other somewhat similar D&D action RPGs on console that were cool. Wasn't crazy about Dark Alliance but there were a few lesser known ones that were decent for that type of thing.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
You should skip the weak ones and play the fun ones instead of trying to play everything. Also all 3 EotB games are worth playing, not just the first 2! Also NWN OC is not that bad. And the 2 expansions are worth playing, one of them is especially good. Personally I would not play any of those games though because there are similar modern games that are better.

Deleted Member 16721

Play Baldur's Gate fully loaded with mods and EET. It's great so far. Maybe IWD-for-EET will be out by then, so you can add that to the campaign, too.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
How is the original Pool of Radiance from the 80s compared to Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom