Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why should I like Neverwinter Nights 2?

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
"Why should I like Neverwinter Nights 2?"

Well because you can play Baldur Gate Reloaded? It's a new feel compared to the old.

Or Pool Radiance Remastered? Best music and atmostphere.

Or Ice Wind Dale module? Absolutely new feel.
Is any of that well implemented? Genuinely curious.

Unwanted

MI.Tex

Unwanted
People shit on 2 a bit because it has a lot of faults and what it did well in making a better toolset, it did so at the cost of accessibility. For custom classes of course 2 is a bit better for base classes (no need for a 3rd party character creator) and spontaneous spellbooks (unless they finally fixed it in 1), but that's about it. The amount of modders for 1 just can't be beat.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Is any of that well implemented? Genuinely curious.

Ranged enemies don't fire back in the IWD remake. The BG one is also overrated garbage, but the PoR remaster is ok. The modules I've covered are much better.

laclongquan

Arcane
You know BG maps that always feel so very large-ish and empty? Well, no more of that. Gameplay feel very fast. The Tower feel particularly deadly.

I dont notice that ranged enemies dont fire back in IWD module. Possibly they fixed it in a patch?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I dont notice that ranged enemies dont fire back in IWD module. Possibly they fixed it in a patch?

Possibly. They just stood there while we mowed them down from long range. I really dislike remakes on principle, though: they are only popular because of the name. Aside from the amount of work that goes into making them (manual labor; how creative), they offer very little over genuinely original campaigns and adventures. And, of course, you're a better off playing the originals rather than a remake on a kludgy engine such as Electron.

The Old Kiwi

Educated
I couldn't ever get past the first part, myself. I thought NWN was rather better, especially the SoU expansion. If the original code for the sequel game has turned up, I haven't heard that (or was it IWD II that they haven't been able to find?)
OK, I backtracked, my mistake above. The original code from IWD2 is still missing. I don't think that I've heard one way or the other that NWN2 is on any Beamdog "upcoming" list.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I don't think that I've heard one way or the other that NWN2 is on any Beamdog "upcoming" list.

NWN2 is an Obsidian game and Beamdog has ex-BioWare devs. Thus, I doubt NWN2 will be on their radar. On the side, my interview with Trent confirmed that KotOR isn't. The only other thing we know is that Gaider is working on a separate project to NWN:EE.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Neverwinter_Nights_%281991%29_Coverart.png

I like how it classifies itself as "online computer product", it sounds so Orwellian.

Delterius

Arcane
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

Prehistorik

Scholar
I tried to play it three times,, every time I quit after few hours beceause of how boring this game is. Walking on the map is more tedious than in MMOs, combat is brainless and, above all, dialogs and characters are so infantile they remind me of first Kotor.
Why is this game considered classic and why people like it? What am I missing?

Because Hitler hated it.

EDIT: typo.

Deleted Member 16721

You should like NWN 2 because it's D&D, RTWP and a CRPG. Those are reasons enough. But beyond that, because you can play modules, like The Shaper of Dreams (Planescape module), the only Planescape module I've seen thus far. Just download good module campaigns that utilize a lot of the advanced features and complexities of the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom