Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix FINAL FANTASY X/X-2 HD for PC - released

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Then fuck this shit. There's no way I'm going again through endless hours of crappy cutscenes.

Seriously. What the fuck is the point of making something a mandatory cutscene?

The vision of the designer how the game should be experienced?

:troll:

Mozg

Arcane
Did I see somewhere saying the PC version has built in "cheats" that let you do 4x fast-forward or something like that?

A user named cat

In emulator you can speed up the combat and travelling too, which is a blessing.

Only way I got through FFXII. If that one comes to PC too it'll be worse than Chink water torture.
Seriously a bindable fast forward key has made so many JRPGs playable now, like those with loading screens, too many random encounters, slow animations or as mentioned, unskippable cutscenes. What a great and mandatory feature it's become.

Never actually played FFX. Skipped it all these years for some reason or another, probably the lame characters. Guess it's time to finally give it a go. In PCSX2 of course for the glory of the fast forward empire.

Beggar

Cipher
New Persona entries took FF combat into another level. Hard to play with all these random encounters, little strategy combat + weeaboo as hell main character. Plus the soundtrack in all of the Persona's is just a masterwork. Not this typical FF market music. Blah

Bahamut

Arcane
Did I see somewhere saying the PC version has built in "cheats" that let you do 4x fast-forward or something like that?

Yea, you can speed up walking/combat up to 4x rest is unaffected

Mozg

Arcane
Welp. Post in this thread if someone hacks in a skip bullshit mod.

Jinn

Arcane
I hated FFX when it came out. I got a PS2 and the game for my birthday and was so pumped, then confused for the next 5-10 hours as to why I was just running down a single path and watching cutscenes. Granted, the combat system is quite good and I realized that back then too, but couldn't see past the other shit. I think my expectations for what a Final Fantasy game should be ended up completely ruining FFX for me back then.

After ignoring the game's (and its sequel's) existence since then, I've recently been listening to the OST for the first time in years. This prompted me to take another look at the game. Thinking of grabbing the PC version if a difficulty mod is released soon. I think I can appreciate the game's approach more now, despite its obvious shortcomings. And I think I can be more patient with Tidus as the protagonist with an understanding of the meta-narrative occurring and what his personality is meant to symbolize. I could not STAND that fucker when I first played it. Also, a FF in a southern asia inspired setting is pretty damn cool.

Speaking of, does anyone know of any promising difficulty mods for the PC version on the horizon?

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

I hated FFX when it came out. I got a PS2 and the game for my birthday and was so pumped, then confused for the next 5-10 hours as to why I was just running down a single path and watching cutscenes. Granted, the combat system is quite good and I realized that back then too, but couldn't see past the other shit. I think my expectations for what a Final Fantasy game should be ended up completely ruined FFX for me back then.

After ignoring the game's (and its sequels) existence since then, I've recently been listening to the OST for the first time even. This prompted me to take another look at the game. Thinking of grabbing the PC version if a difficulty mod is released soon. I think I can appreciate the game's approach more now, despite its obvious shortcomings. And I think I can be more patient with Tidus as the protagonist with an understanding of the meta-narrative occurring and what his personality is meant to symbolize. I could not STAND that fucker when I first played it.

Speaking of, does anyone know of any promising difficulty mods for the PC version on the horizon?

I can't help with difficulty mods, but the PC version is terrific. Get Kaldaien's Untitled Project X mod to fix any remaining issues.

Also, the combat system is just lovely. It is so nice to have a proper turn-based system instead of the button mashing mess that was Final Fantasy XIII (and XV, it seems).

vonAchdorf

Arcane
There's no button mashing required in Final Fantasy XV. Instead, you just hold down the attack button to win almost every combat. :happytrollboy:

While generally true, there are fights, where this doesn't work (e.g. if you decide to take on higher level enemies). The system could have been ok and even somewhat tactical, but since you can beat everything by throwing money at it (endless healing potions) it become a bit lackluster.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I really enjoyed Blitzball. It got too easy though, and because it was so basic once you had good players there was never any reason to keep playing it.

Deleted member 7219

Blitzball would have been perfectly fine if it wasn't for the RNG elements. I played it enough to win the tournament but I didn't bother with it after that.

Can I just point out that FFX-X2 HD has cheap, bad models/facial animation while the PS2 release of FFX already had it all nailed down perfectly back then in 2001 or whatever?

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The only thing I like about X is the music, the graphics (on release) and the excellent turn-based combat. It might well be the fastest, snappiest turn-based combat system I know. It's true TB, like Final Fantasy 1-3, and not Active Time Battle (ATB) like in 4-9. Shame I dislike the rest of the game quite a lot; the system is incredibly solid.

To be honest, I can't off the top of my domepiece think of any other game, Japanese or otherwise, that has turn-based combat that is that snappy. You issue the command, they do the command; there's no delays at all and the animations are good, short and to the point.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
A big part in it I guess is that it's sort of a TB-fied version of ATB, since it still calculates the turn sequence out of stats and active effects but it removes the gauge and patiently waits for you to decide your action. It ends up being very snappy due to that.

I won the blitzball final only on emulator
Shamus Young had quite a bit to say about the Blitzball finals, and I totally agree that it's probably the biggest wtf moment narratively in the game because they sort of forgot what it means if the player loses the finals after all the build-up:

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=32959

I totally recommend reading Shamus' retrospective on FFX as a companion to his Mass Effect retrospective, since he uses it as a good opportunity to further elaborate via contrast why Mass Effect 3 sucked and why it was Mass Effect 2's fault (since Shamus rather likes the first one). And he's still quite entertaining as a writer, so it's fun to read. First chapter also has a short lesson on worldbuilding and why Fallout 3 failed in it.

Last edited:

Cross

Arcane
I totally recommend reading Shamus' retrospective on FFX
https://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=332
Final Fantasy X

Pixy is just not down with Oblivion, and also has this to say:

There are two groups that know how to make a good computer role-playing game: BioWare and Japan.
Fair enough. I might give a nod in the direction of games like Fallout and Planescape: Torment. Not fabulous, but both had a lot of new ideas and took some chances. But in any case, Pixy is right: Americans can’t make good RPG’s. (BioWare is Canadian)

The problem with American RPG’s is that they aren’t. Diablo and Dungeon Siege are both successful games, but there are no roles to be played. No roleplaying, you see. They are threadbare stories with vague or nonexistant characters. They have their own appeal, but it has nothing to do with telling a story or meeting new characters.

In fact, Diablo is about killing lots and lots of monsters and searching for cool loot. The game itself has more in common with playing slot machines and bargain hunting at antique stores than it does with classic D&D.

Which brings me to Final Fantasy X.

I’ve ranted about this game before:

FFX was my first exposure the the franchise, and it left a big impression on me. It has a massive, richly-detailed world. I’m talking Lord of the Rings-sized fantasy world, here. Futhermore, it is a truly unique world. This isn’t some third-generation Tolkienesque D&D ripoff. This isn’t goblins with six-shooters, or Elves in space. This is a whole new kind of world with its own ideas about magic, technology, and culture. The world of Spira has different languages, religions, sports, ethnic groups, political struggles, clothing styles, and inventions. It is full of characters that are amusing, whimsical, frightening, sad, and inspiring.

The game is a technical wonder as well. Even now, years after its release, it still looks great. The voice acting is superb. The pacing is excellent. The game is a fantastic experience, and is even fairly accessable to people new to the genre.

(...)

I seriously doubt we’ll ever see an American game company come out with anything as ambitious, as large, and as deep.
:prosper:The display of such incredibly shitty taste in RPG's and writing here is physically painful to read.

To be honest, I can't off the top of my domepiece think of any other game, Japanese or otherwise, that has turn-based combat that is that snappy. You issue the command, they do the command; there's no delays at all and the animations are good, short and to the point.
Final Fantasy X's combat is only 'snappy' compared to the ridiculous snail's pace of the previous FF games. Compared to any turn-based game with competently designed interface and animations, it's not very fast.

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Most fucking importantly, are the cutscenes skippable?
according to steam reviews, they're not.

black-guy-gif-star-trek.gif

Hyperion

Arcane
The display of such incredibly shitty taste in RPG's and writing here is physically painful to read.
He's not entirely wrong in lots of respects. Diablo I is one of tmy favorites, but the story was ripped to shreds prior to release, and was intended to be played as the Warrior named Aidan. If memory serves, speaking with Ogden and hearing him say, "thank goodness you've returned" is the only vestige of the original story left. You're the long lost son of Leoric, hidden away as a child to protect you from Lazarus (possibly by Lachdanan?), and have returned to set things right in Tristram. Certainly would have added some emotional impact to seeing your father turned into a vengeful skeleton, Lachdanan banished to the pits of Hell, and killing your own brother. Unfortunately, none of this made it in, and given the presence of the Mage and Rogue, who knows if it would have even worked, because they have no real story outside of "let's help the Prince." Personally, I never cared for Bioware, but it was written in 2006, and they hadn't gone full retard yet.

Dungeon Siege is another one of my favorites, but you do have to accept that starting simply as, "Farmer" and working your way to Demigod is rather trite, and absurd. Also, you play that of a silent protagonist, which isn't for everyone.

Nor is he wrong regarding his description of the game. It IS a unique, and detailed world with lots of offbeat characters and that stupid fucking sport Blitzball. Does that automatically translate to good? Absolutely not, but to him, it certainly does. Tidus' laugh, Wakka's stupid fucking haircut and accent aside, the voice acting is better than some JRPG's of the last decade. Arc Rise Fantasia is an example, with dreadful voice acting, and you couldn't even shut it off because you had to rely on voice prompts in combat to defend against certain enemy attacks. For a game released in 2000, FFX had great VA and isn't COMPLETELY cringeworthy if you fired it up today.

And yeah, the combat is pretty snappy. Unlike FF7 - 9, casting spells, attacking, using skills doesn't cause cinematic delay, characters are swapped seamlessly, attack animations (with the exception of maybe Auron's) are very quick, and can be executed simultaneously. For example, Tidus' attack can be started before Wakka's attack animation finishes. The SNES ATB FF's were not sluggish either. Put the game on Active, at max speed (hardcopy FF4 especially) and you'll need to have some semblance of knowing what your next action will be before your action bar fills up.

It's getting really boring with you showing your face in every goddamn JRPG thread just to bitch and moan about how piss poor they are in comparison to your favorite CPRG's. Keep that shit in GD.

Cross

Arcane
Okay, name a few. Maybe I missed out on them.
Apparently a random encounter that involves more than 20 combatants in Fallout 2 takes less time to resolve than a random encounter in Final Fantasy X that involves only 2 enemies and 3 player characters and has less complex mechanics to convey (characters in Fallout 2 can move and even the trajectories of bullets and projectiles are simulated to some extent). Despite being much faster, Fallout 2 even manages to have way better animations.

Like most jRPG's, a bulk of the time in combat in Final Fantasy X is spent watching very slow transition screens, victory poses and unnecessary camera pans. Like I said, FFX is a bit faster than the snail's pace of previous FF games, but it's still not particularly fast.

Nor is he wrong regarding his description of the game.
It's one thing to say you don't care for Diablo and Dungeon Siege, it's another thing to dismiss games like Fallout and Planescape: Torment as mediocrities that pale in comparison to the genius of Final Fantasy X, and then declare that Bioware of all companies is the only non-Japanese video game company that can compare to glorious Nippon. It's Polygon levels of writing.

Last edited:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
And yeah, the combat is pretty snappy. Unlike FF7 - 9, casting spells, attacking, using skills doesn't cause cinematic delay, characters are swapped seamlessly, attack animations (with the exception of maybe Auron's) are very quick, and can be executed simultaneously. For example, Tidus' attack can be started before Wakka's attack animation finishes. The SNES ATB FF's were not sluggish either. Put the game on Active, at max speed (hardcopy FF4 especially) and you'll need to have some semblance of knowing what your next action will be before your action bar fills up.
You could turn on Active for ATB in FF7 et al too, where it made the timers run during anything except summons, most limit breaks, and a handful of spells. Personally when it comes to ATB I prefer to set it to Wait mode instead of Active or Standard since it's more relaxing.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Even the action hold the button combat in FF15 has a wait mode.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom