Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
What about... "still played"?
Impossible to say.

Because it all depends on various sequels and such. Would anyone still be playing fallout if there had been a dozen games that did it better at this point? Maybe people interested in gaming history, but it would no longer have value beyond being a historical artifact.
At the same time consider what were to happen if say, Nintendo makes Zelda a continuous story from now on, with botw easily accessible even on the console of 20 years in the future. Plenty of people might play it to get the full experience. Or Nintendo might make the next zelda a simply better version of botw, and then botw will be forgotten.

I think there are plenty games from 2017 with potential to be remembered and played. People still play Ocarina of Time after all, and that's 19 years old.

That being said, I don't think 2017 will be remembered as an especially notable year in gaming. But how many years are, especially since, say, 2004 ?

The industry works mostly as tech as opposed to entertainment, so neither the big companies nor most gamers care much for the past.

lightbane

Arcane
Don't forget the common strategy to diss an old game as "outdated" and "technologically limited" to promote the latest "new shit", especially if it's a remake. I wonder if we'll see game journalists doing that for Wolfy 2017's "remastered" edition.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
qbgowr.jpg
Wut da zog.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
That thread is primarily Bethestards whining about the Elder Scrolls, but that dev at least adds something worthwhile. Strangely though I can't find any reference to anyone confirming that the bug is real.

But from that thread there, here's the 2k Marin dev talking about X-Com: The Bureau:

[It] Started at 2K Australia using the Freedom Force engine, which was then scrapped for the SWAT 4 engine, which was then scrapped for Unreal 2.5 (what we called our frankenstein version of the engine).

Around 2008 it turned into a survival horror game inspired by Fatal Frame. You play an FBI agent in the 1950s southern california investigating weird reports of aliens. Then it turns out you are no match for them, so the game is about taking pictures of them, researching them with strong narrative decision-making and then trying to ultmately capture them. Was meant to be radically different from XCOM to see if the series could go another direction.

After BioShock 2 failed to make enough money and 2K Australia still hadn't finished the game after about 6 years of on and off development, they called 2K Marin in to work on it. It was a first person mission-based game similar to the original concept but now a shooter where you fight back. This didn't last long and then it became third-person where the aliens were actually humans from the future. That also got reworked, to a third-person squad game where aliens are terraforming Earth.

Then with so many people leaving the studio and dwindling internal support, 2K Aus was axed and moved to Marin, the game settled on what it was today, and the emphasis shifted to a linear storyline so as not to compete with Enemy Unknown. It sold so abysmally the company shut down - I had left about 5 months prior to release.

It was originally called XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Firaxis stole it because the way 2K works is every studio is given complete autonomy so long as they keep the product development team at corporate happy. The EP at Firaxis knew they had a better game and wanted the better title, so they greased the right palms. The original idea for The Bureau fit way better with the name Enemy Unknown, but after the re-re-re-re-designs they just settled on the random bullshit it is now. Honestly it just kind of got dropped on the team one day, didn't seem like a lot of thought went into it.

On that developer working at Toys For Bob for a spell:

There was a time when I worked at Toys For Bob (oddly enough it was just two office buildings away from 2K Marin, and near Nihilistic Software too) on Skylanders when the team was practically begging to make Star Control 3. Activision held a company wide conference that said "everyone works on Call of Duty because we have no idea when this model will stop making money. Except for you Toys For Bob. You just do Skylanders. Forever". Paul and Fred seemed fine with it though, they're totally happy with their day to day and even decorated the whole office in a Tiki style just because they love Hawaii. Probably one of the more friendly teams I've worked with, no real problems aside from Activision corporate.

Reading a reddit thread about how lootboxes are cancer and

Loot boxes and other forms of microtransactions are not an unwelcome part of gaming for many people. For every 23 year old working a dead end part time retail job without a living wage who complains about predatory game design, there are several more family and career men and women who work 60-80 hour weeks and enjoy the ability to spend a little extra to reduce their grind time. What is predatory, deceitful or shady to many people here is a welcome addition to others. What exactly is wrong about that, as a designer and as a consumer?

:kingcomrade:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom