Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4: New Vegas - remake in FO4 engine

Quillon

Arcane
But doesn't fallout 4 have even worse core gameplay?

No. Walking, running, shooting etc. are naturally much better in FO4 with its improved shitty engine.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
If they manage to fix the perks system it MIGHT even be good. Still, as people said in the other thread (I think), these mega projects never amount to anything.

Modron

Arcane
If they manage to fix the perks system it MIGHT even be good. Still, as people said in the other thread (I think), these mega projects never amount to anything.
And even if it does start to amount to something it will get hit with a cease and desist.

Nael

Arcane

I don't understand.

Yes, it does look better. But visuals are not worth the tradeoff from the rest of the game.

There are plenty of visual mods out there for F:NV to make it look as good, texture-wise as FO4. There's probably some enhanced meshes and animation mods too, but I don't tend to fuck with those.

But whatever. What a pointless waste of time this thing is. Hard pass.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

I don't understand.

Yes, it does look better. But visuals are not worth the tradeoff from the rest of the game.

There are plenty of visual mods out there for F:NV to make it look as good, texture-wise as FO4. There's probably some enhanced meshes and animation mods too, but I don't tend to fuck with those.

But whatever. What a pointless waste of time this thing is. Hard pass.

No amount of mods would make the FO3/NV engine as good as the FO4 engine.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
With every one of this kind of mods I always wonder if you have people, time and skill to make a mod of this size why waste those resources for remaking a old game in new engine instead of making something new and original.

mbv123

Arbiter
With every one of this kind of mods I always wonder if you have people, time and skill to make a mod of this size why waste those resources for remaking a old game in new engine instead of making something new and original.
Because those people lack the skill and know-how for that so they instead make these conversion mods as a way to get noticed by the big dev teams and get hired that way as a career breakthrough. Why else would someone waste their time doing something for free?

That one mod that merged FNV and FO3 didn't get hit with a Cease and Desist, as far as I know, but I suppose that was more linking two games on a basically identical engine. Bethesda might still be beating the dead horse known as Gamebryo, but they do technically change things between major releases so FO4: NV is obviously a lot more work. Still, I hope Bethesda keeps their regular policy of non-interference with mods going.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
"typical cuckdex, shit on F3 and gamebryo in NV, how horrible it was, when someone port this to the improved gamebryo version, they still throw shit".
Just make your own engine and port the NV to it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
And even if it does start to amount to something it will get hit with a cease and desist.

Cease and Desist happens only when people are distributing a Publishers assets of a game.

mogwaimon

Magister

Cease and Desist happens only when people are distributing a Publishers assets of a game.

You never know, man. I've seen projects with their own custom assets based on the company IP get C&Ded many times over the years. I don't think this FO4 New Vegas will get C&Ded since, well, it's not like OpenMW or Daggerfall Unity have been C&Ded yet and they're way more of a legal threat than this, but all it takes is for one of Zenimax's lawyers to see an article about it one day and go "Nope" and there's the C&D.

That's why these projects need to keep on the downlow until they're ready for release instead of plastering publicity everywhere with proof of concept pics. But these idiots with dreams of upvotes and kudos or whatever they measure their e-peens by just keep on doing the same things they've been doing and refusing to learn from the fates of other high-profile IP-infringing projects such as AM2R, that old Chrono Trigger romhack, Pokemon Uranium, and that MLP fighting game.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

You never know, man. I've seen projects with their own custom assets based on the company IP get C&Ded many times over the years. I don't think this FO4 New Vegas will get C&Ded since, well, it's not like OpenMW or Daggerfall Unity have been C&Ded yet and they're way more of a legal threat than this, but all it takes is for one of Zenimax's lawyers to see an article about it one day and go "Nope" and there's the C&D.

That's why these projects need to keep on the downlow until they're ready for release instead of plastering publicity everywhere with proof of concept pics. But these idiots with dreams of upvotes and kudos or whatever they measure their e-peens by just keep on doing the same things they've been doing and refusing to learn from the fates of other high-profile IP-infringing projects such as AM2R, that old Chrono Trigger romhack, Pokemon Uranium, and that MLP fighting game.

Can you provide me with an example of said Project that was served with a cease and desist order?

mogwaimon

Magister
What, other than the four I listed? There was also that one Star Wars game based on Battlefront 3 that was asked to stop development by Lucasarts, that one WoW private server that was singled out by Blizzard for a C&D because it got too big that was all over the news last year, the C&D that stopped the development of that Pokemon mod for Minecraft....it happens all the time when projects get too big and the publisher (or their lawyers) decide to make a move. Granted some of these may have been using assets ripped direct from the games they were infringing on, but the MLP fighting game at least exclusively used custom spritework, backgrounds, and music made just for the game. The Pokemon mod likely used custom models considering the vast difference between a normal Pokemon game and Minecraft. The WoW private server...I don't think they actually had to distribute any assets at all, they were just running a server with code written to emulate an official Blizzard server? I'm hazy on the details with that one.

Now the likes of OpenMW and the XL Engine for Daggerfall are rather safe since they're just source ports, so they fall into a similar grey area as emulators, which are tolerated for the most part, but that doesn't mean Zenimax can't just decide they want to do their own HD Morrowind or Daggerfall and get those projects taken down if they wanted to. They're also more mod-friendly than most publishers, so they're more likely to turn a blind eye. Doesn't mean it can't happen if they see a project as a potential threat to their own earnings.

Again, though, I don't think this particular project would get a C&D. Otherwise, Skywind, Tamriel Rebuilt, and Skyblivion would have probably been served papers ages ago.

Unwanted

MI.Tex

Unwanted

It will be probably abandoned at some point just like all the other mega projects

mogwaimon

Magister
Oh, and how could I forget? DoomRL was C&Ded during the Kickstarter campaign for Jupiter Hell if I remember correctly, though that was more because the author referenced it as a project he had worked on before than anything else. Still, that was a project that had existed safely for years although it likely used scaled down assets from Doom for the tileset. Even then it wasn't safe from the lawyers once the project gained more media attention because of the Jupiter Hell campaign.

valcik

Arcane
Modern gamers insist on putting their heads into a hi-tech bucket in order to experience Virtual Reality! FNV doesn't look good in their brand new digital bucket at all, so it needs to be ported. 2018 ads a whole new layer of meaning to old memes.

:hearnoevil: :gumpyhead:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom