Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
uw6nb5l.png

Archon, originally released in 1983 on the Commodore 64, was one of a handful of games ported to the Amiga in the year of its release, 1985.

lpP2h94.png

Taking place on a chess-like 9x9 board, the Light Side & Dark Side battle for victory. Each side can be set to human-controlled, computer-controlled, or "cyborg" where a human controls the side but can let the computer fight the battles.

7kQCqvz.png

Each side has an Archon which can cast a set of spells, though each spell can only be used once per game. Teleporting a unit from a permanently-light square to a permanently-dark square (or vice-versa for the Light Side) is a good opening stratagem.

jmbkWQs.png

Battles occur in an abstract arena with columns, some of which shift in and out of existence. Pictured here, one of the Dark Side's two Basilisks finishes off the Light Side's Phoenix. The lowly goblins and knights rely on melee attacks, and the Banshees and Phoenix rely on close-range area attacks, but the other units all have ranged attacks.

asTksFQ.png

Of the 81 squares, 25 are permanently light, 25 are permanently dark, and 31 gradually shift from one to the other and back again. The color of a square affects the health of units fighting on it.

CTljbbV.png

Victory can be achieved by occupying all 5 "power points", by completely annihilating the opposition, or by reducing the opposition to one unit inflicted with the 'imprison' spell.
wbpA6WI.png

Of Archon's three creators, two were featured in the famous "We See Farther" ad: Anne Westfall for Archon, and her husband Jon Freeman for Murder on the Zinderneuf. Paul Reiche III was left out.

screenshot000046sf2.jpg

Popping some moles in Sands of Time. I hadn't played this since release (I think 15 years ago?), doesn't hold a candle to classic PoP unfortunately. Still, even though the combat sucks ass, the puzzle bits are alright and the script isn't awful - I guess Mechner was directly involved in this and not the other Ubi PoP games, which were garbage.

Last edited:

Walden

Savant
Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice

At first I was skeptical and afraid of the umpteenth female whimpering main character. Gameplay wise it's quite dull, combat system is bare, until the two final hours ~ it's tolerable, then the game turns out full of filler arenas and repetitive puzzles. The sound effects are nice touch, it has to be played with headphones, as the game itself suggests you.
I loved everything of the narration, how it manages some themes in a very clever and cohesive way, the norse mythology is incredibly well implemented; Senua, the protagonist, never saw one of those people, but she imagines and project some tails(witch I suggest you to listen from the runes in-game) told her by an old man.
I played the game in hard mode, but it's a pain in the ass, and there's no point to do so, feel free to play on normal or easy mode as well, to avoid or reduce the recurring and ugly combat(combat itself isn't that bad, for an h&s, but there are something like 4-5 enemies with the same patterns).

ADCQj8R.jpg

z2CKmUJ.jpg

GMkNpS8.jpg

rl5QVHW.jpg

iYHQUoM.jpg

V0us8MV.jpg

nc3Gqa4.jpg

bgXT4XD.jpg

2dJM7Ip.jpg

3EPassP.jpg

lnEJIje.jpg

OrwOVBA.jpg

Last edited:

yellowcake

Arcane
screenshot000046sf2.jpg

Popping some moles in Sands of Time. I hadn't played this since release (I think 15 years ago?), doesn't hold a candle to classic PoP unfortunately. Still, even though the combat sucks ass, the puzzle bits are alright and the script isn't awful - I guess Mechner was directly involved in this and not the other Ubi PoP games, which were garbage.

I love this game. It has this sense of wonder from an ancient tale. The gameplay thing with the dagger is cool, fits the lore and the story, the endgame story twist is great and leaves a bittersweet taste. Replayed few times.

Sands of Time is excellent, associating it with popping moles is dumb.
There's a lot of combat in the game and that aspect is 100% unadulterated popamole. The puzzle parts are alright, but without the timer of older games there's no tension. I think Sands of Time is a good game, certainly better than all the sequels, but do you really think it's comparable to PoP 1 or 2?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

Seeing Dan Bunten's name reminds me of M.U.L.E. which reminds me of this:

And seeing that this is the RPG Codex, the following deserves mentioning:

Bunten underwent sex reassignment surgery in November 1992 and afterwards kept a lower profile in the games industry. Bunten later regretted having surgery, finding that for her, the drawbacks of surgical transition outweighed the benefits, and wishing she had considered alternative approaches. She joked that the surgery was to improve the video game industry's male/female ratio and aesthetics, but advised others considering a sex change not to proceed unless there was no alternative, and warned them of the cost, saying "Being my 'real self' could have included having a penis and including more femininity in whatever forms made sense. I didn't know that until too late and now I have to make the best of the life I've stumbled into. I just wish I would have tried more options before I jumped off the precipice."

Unfortunately Bunten died of lung cancer in 1998, but managed to survive long enough to receive a Lifetime Achievement Award by the Computer Game Developer's Association.

The very first Sims game is also dedicated to his memory. Bunten left a very memorable quote, which I feel that too many on the Codex will try to denounce in one form or another:

Dan Bunten said:
No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer.'

Bunten deserves a :salute: no matter how you look at it.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
incoming enderal pictures, contains spoilers

NDSe5Nr.jpg

this is just a small taste of what is to come. the devs _really_ love their skeletons.
AibYKFp.jpg

and some of those are _really_ fucked up.
99JDcqR.jpg

the basket of potatoes is empty, as can clearly be seen.
F4UxrkX.jpg

good celebrity cameo.
ypC169v.jpg

[diary]
9VRH8QZ.jpg

[i was an adventurer, but i got an arrow to the knee]
r8w0hOS.jpg

no.
IhUNieN.jpg

comfy library, uncomfy quest marker.
bvgcXXW.jpg

skull king ruling his subjects
vG9Sxno.jpg

in some spots you can see into the past. like here, you can see into the ps1 era of gaming. thanks bethesda
lNE9ny8.jpg

i told you, they _really_ like their skeletons.
zilDKYz.jpg

the artists really chose the wrong tools. thanks bethesda.
ZwLCxa6.jpg

really, really love the skeletons.
Wipvr7X.jpg

first time i saw this i was really stoned and i was in awe, but even sober i think it looks really good and closely resembles the concept art that inspired it.
R1X2P1p.jpg

the entire under city is actually really cool, in my opinion. should have had way more quests.
X39B8ye.jpg

i don't think they ever really explained why they were crucified in the quest. i guess the devs just really love corpses and(on) crosses.
FMgsxfD.jpg

really, really, really love skeletons.
PluDUzt.jpg

it's getting really hot in here, because you know, of the fucking TORCH!?
p5rPWPL.jpg

the grace and majesty in this dance animation makes the ffviii cutscene look silly and amateur in comparison!
vw5It3S.jpg

this construction is missing a vital part.
SVg5f2m.jpg

and here we are at last. the conduit. and i wonder: why. why mass effect 3?
Eo30gwY.jpg

acoolakhan! hehe, get it!? aCOOLakhan! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
JOmLavw.jpg

"there must be more to life" the ending.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
After these screenshots were taken the game decided to eat my saves, can't even remember the last time this happened. :argh:

TdytRZ9.jpg

wr2AyO1.jpg

I2Cotvl.jpg

Q7uVijo.jpg

Yn9pOLe.jpg

F5J3adF.jpg

3NYqWCx.jpg

gsMFrnb.jpg

HansDampf

Arcane
eehrru6.jpg

From my latest Steel Soul attempt:
NnVnLRq.jpg

I fucked this guy.

BW76cPq.jpg

I fucked them.

00aTbzQ.jpg

Then I fucked him.

pPg2aoC.jpg

And raped his mind.

CD1dEga.jpg

I fucked her twice.

yiA9Nsb.jpg

And the game.

KwyN10W.png

But it feels like a hollow victory. A true Steel Soul run would complete the game 100% and fuck Radiance at the end. The game file still exists. Maybe I will give it a try, and see how far I get.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age (2004)
CVnR4A2.jpg

I had to replay this one as I am in the middle of a Lord of the Rings binge.

I remember somewhat enjoying it back in the day for the same reason (i.e. anything-goes LotR binge), but all the criticism I had back then remains as well.

The game wasn't a long project and it shows: tons of unnecessary mini-cutscenes, awful dialogue, amateurish skill system, etc. It is absolutely terrible in its original form: I found Wizardry 8 quite tiresome but this game takes trash mob tedium to a new galaxy. Playing on an emulator and unlocking the framerate is mandatory so you can Benny Hill your way through the game and have a half-digestible experience.

The movie excerpts are the worst. Their design is completely self-defeating: you get bombarded with them constantly, even though:

- You are familiar with the movies, in which case they are a needless (and very verbose) repetition of what you already know.
- Or you aren't familiar with the movies, in which case they are a poor and heavy-handed way to deliver exposition.

Furthermore, some of them contain info / foreshadowing on the in-game plot and you cannot tell which ones will matter and which ones are just exposition dumps.

A note on the in-game plot: it is not bad at all, but as said above the game was, if not rushed, at least way underproduced. The cutscenes often say nothing of value, the dialogues sound like the climax of a build-up that is absent but taken for granted, etc. Most characters have a sort of twist in their backstory, and there is nothing that wouldn't work with more dialogues, but the actual product is a succession of sudden revelations and unearned conclusions.

Credit where credit is due: between the enemies grunting, the glorious movie music and the constant idle animations, the combat feels very alive and dynamic despite being turn-based. The special effect are good though you will quickly find them needlessly overdone, especially as they cannot be turned off to speed up the fights.

The game uses the same engine as The Two Towers and The Return of the King action games. The environments look a bit drab and empty today but I think they aged pretty well. The visuals are incremental in the usual fashion: PS2 looks worse than Gamecube which looks worse than Xbox. My pictures are from the PS2 version, which looks mediocre compared to the other two: low polygon count, some models replaced with flat textures, and the textures themselves are dry and ugly.

The game is generous on illusion of distance and beautiful vistas, which further underlines its claustrophobic corridor design. As for sound effects, they are mostly lifted from the movies and nothing is out of the ordinary, except some dialogues sound like they have been recorded in a bathroom.

It was never released on PC even though it came one year after The Return of the King, which did get a PC version. A shame, as even with rudimentary modding this game wouldn't be too far away from being good: less trash mobs, skippable skill animations, proper high-res graphics. It would still be a cheap cash grab, but at least a relaxing gib-moar-LotR fix.

As it stands, it leans way too much on the tedious side. Being in dire need of a LotR fix is mandatory to enjoy this game, and even then that's an uphill battle. Just know what you are getting into: a fanservice Middle-Earth tour to various movie locations, built around a primitive Final Fantasy knock-off combat system.

Fp02b5Y.jpg

iI7wLTd.jpg

GUs4QJ2.jpg

ai6hqIQ.jpg

m9llMCM.jpg

67fulra.jpg

Alzzvam.jpg

PHPU0uK.jpg

YhjUuxC.jpg

4nwKQk2.jpg

9PwYtIR.jpg

mlIcWRi.jpg

EQvNhHb.jpg

8y5iXEw.jpg

oakIUAB.jpg

P8kGQpE.jpg

Bv8wNXS.jpg

DmpEnOM.jpg

vc49lTc.jpg

jp8UdSV.jpg

oUvE0BS.jpg

VbR1IYf.jpg

4W5LyOV.jpg

From memory, there is still at least Osgiliath, the Pelennor fields, Minas Tirith, and the final boss fight remaining. Nothing more to say, except enemies ramp up the tedious crowd control and the environments are more of the "beautiful fanservice scenery that reminds you how you cannot just hop on a horse or hike away".

I won't update further but I still want to leave a few words about Helm's Deep.

Even during my first playthrough more than a decade ago, I noticed barely a few minutes in that there was no money, and I guessed (correctly) that there wouldn't be "towns". I was correct, but there is still a semi-exception.

Helm's Deep reminds me of Kordava in Conan The Dark Axe: a sudden civilian area in a combat game, with an amount of care and attention to details that are seen nowhere else in the game.

It is what many have been waiting for: a carefully crafted movie location in which you can walk freely and talk to movie characters while listening to movie music. Of course it hammers home how the rest of the game is nothing like it, and Helm's Deep is leagues below Kordava in terms of both design and content, but the contrast with the main game is the same, and in both cases it is my favourite part of the game.

That's all there is to say about this game. Whatever horrors you heard about it are probably true, but as usual the salvation might come from computers. If you still want to give it a try, fire up Dolphin and hotlink the framerate unlock to something accessible.

8nWOSBN.jpg

IQf3FSX.jpg

Q2BOstn.jpg

v6hFCO4.jpg

tZATJxN.jpg

q33eAJD.jpg

p3ASMD6.jpg

tOltvbk.jpg

VxwMRHN.jpg

4xWRFUs.jpg

H06EXvI.jpg

Looks like FFX with legolas to me

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom