Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which D&D CRPGs did these happen in?

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I've played a bunch of them. Maybe all of them. And I'm having trouble remembering which one was which. Or maybe I'm just remembering a bunch of things from one or two games. What games did these happen in? Here's your chance to remind me which games I've played and at the same time you get to compete for who remembers the most useless information from old computer games.

• There's a paladin who can join your party, but he grabbed a cursed sword that froze him in place. In order to get the paladin into your party, one of your party members has to grab the sword. That will free the paladin, but your other companion is now stuck to the sword.
  • There's a workers' riot that you have to put down, and one of the iconic sound effects of that level is the sound of battle, but someone keeps yelling "No more work!" The same sound loop gets used later (or perhaps in a sequel) and the din of battle sounds fine, but the "No more work!" yell is still there, and it's totally out of place.
  • There's a big battle you have to prepare for, so you go to various groups to win them over to your side. You come across a group of good golems and a group of evil golems (or some other kind of mechanical or man-made life forms), but they both have pretty legitimate gripes about the other. You have to choose which side to help, and that side helps you in the final battle, and the other side fights against you. And what were the other groups you came across?
  • One of the feats you can take lets your druid shape-shift into a red dragon. That would be awesome, except by that point in the game all of the enemies have damage reduction, and none of the dragon's attacks count as magical, so your big bad red dragon does zero damage to everyone.
  • Most of the game takes place in a big city, but sections of it are blocked off for some reason. You join the city watch, start off killing bandits at the docks, and eventually you're allowed into the posh section of town.
  • The last level (I think) is where you teleport to the home of those frog people. Not bullywugs. The other frog people. They're from the astral plane or something. These dudes have hundreds of hit points. I never finished the game because I kept running into a bug where you would hit the enemy, his hit points would go into the negative, and he wouldn't die. Eventually the game would crash. Anyway, the last level I played was fighting against giant evil intelligent frog creatures.
  • You can enchant weapons and when you enchant them you get to rename them. I came across another bug that let you keep adding enchantments. I don't know if the new enchantments stacked, or if the name just got longer, but if you added too much the game would crash.
  • One of the towns--I remember this being in one of the older isometric games--was a marsh town built on stilts.
  • You start the expansion with your 20th-level character from the end of the main campaign, and you immediately lose all your gear and get swept off to the Underdark or Shadowfell or someplace like that.
  • I was looking forward to this expansion or sequel because it added a world map with random encounters so I wouldn't have to worry about murdering everything worth experience points in order to max out my party. I could just wander into a random encounter for more XP. But then the random encounters ended up sucking because the enemies were really weak and there were only like three random encounter maps.
  • At the bottom of the dungeon, you could fight forever in a new procedurally generated dungeon level. But that sucked too because the procedural generator just made straight walls and big open spaces.
  • During character generation you could give anyone 18 strength, but then when you make them some kind of fighter, paladin, or ranger, you get to roll that stupid extra strength thing for them. If you rolled a character with 18/90 strength, you would probably keep him. If you rolled 18/25, you could just erase the character and roll a new one until you got better strength.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Not many games where Druids shapeshift into Red Dragons besides Neverwinter Nights... maybe you're mixing a bunch of modules together?

agris

Arcane
Patron
I've played a bunch of them. Maybe all of them. And I'm having trouble remembering which one was which. Or maybe I'm just remembering a bunch of things from one or two games. What games did these happen in? Here's your chance to remind me which games I've played and at the same time you get to compete for who remembers the most useless information from old computer games.
  • Most of the game takes place in a big city, but sections of it are blocked off for some reason. You join the city watch, start off killing bandits at the docks, and eventually you're allowed into the posh section of town.

That sounds like Risen 1 to me.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
It's definitely possible that I'm thinking of several different games here. I don't think I ever installed any mods besides the official expansions. The druid shapeshifting into a red dragon probably was from Neverwinter Nights like you say. Could you also do it in Neverwinter Nights 2?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
You could. In fact, the bit about killing bandits at the dock is definitely from the first act of NWN2's OC. Other parts also fit, but not all of them...

vazha

Arcane
The golems, lvl 20 char getting mugged at the start and red dragon shapeshifting are all from NWN 1. But there werent frog ppl in NWN 1 or any of its sequels. The workers protest is probably from Arcanum. The 18/25 strength thing could be from Baldurs Gate or Icewind dale. No idea about Marsh town on stilts tho

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I was looking forward to this expansion or sequel because it added a world map with random encounters so I wouldn't have to worry about murdering everything worth experience points in order to max out my party. I could just wander into a random encounter for more XP. But then the random encounters ended up sucking because the enemies were really weak and there were only like three random encounter maps.
This sounds like that expansion to Neverwinter Nights 2. Maybe Mask of the Betrayer or Storm of Zehir.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
OK, I think I'm remembering the docks from NWN 2. felipepepe in that game is your uncle a dwarf and your base of operations is his tavern? Is one of the first characters to join your party after entering the city an evil sorceress who betrays you at the end?

Siveon yeah I think it was Storm of Zehir. Just did some Google image searches and that looks familiar.

Kalin wow. I just went on a trip down memory lane. You said Temple of Elemental Evil. I thought Pool of Radiance. I Googled Temple of Elemental Evil, thought I had never played it, and then looked through some screenshots, and after seeing the game's radial menu I know I played it. I re-read the plot synopsis at Wikipedia, and it didn't sound familiar though. I guess that's what makes it hard for me to differentiate these games. These D&D games all have pretty generic plots and settings.

Crichton

Prophet
Some of these I can remember clearly but others don't ring any bells at all.

There's a paladin who can join your party, but he grabbed a cursed sword that froze him in place. In order to get the paladin into your party, one of your party members has to grab the sword. That will free the paladin, but your other companion is now stuck to the sword.

ToEE, Prince Thrommel (sp) and Scather

There's a workers' riot that you have to put down, and one of the iconic sound effects of that level is the sound of battle, but someone keeps yelling "No more work!" The same sound loop gets used later (or perhaps in a sequel) and the din of battle sounds fine, but the "No more work!" yell is still there, and it's totally out of place.

Nada; sounds a little like Curst but not really.

• There's a big battle you have to prepare for, so you go to various groups to win them over to your side. You come across a group of good golems and a group of evil golems (or some other kind of mechanical or man-made life forms), but they both have pretty legitimate gripes about the other. You have to choose which side to help, and that side helps you in the final battle, and the other side fights against you. And what were the other groups you came across?

The overall setup is very reminiscent of Dark Sun: Shattered Lands, but the details don't fit; no golems and the final antagonists are fixed.

• One of the feats you can take lets your druid shape-shift into a red dragon. That would be awesome, except by that point in the game all of the enemies have damage reduction, and none of the dragon's attacks count as magical, so your big bad red dragon does zero damage to everyone.

NWN: Hordes of the Underdark

NWN2; you also have the option to join the Shadow Thieves but I never thought it made any sense ("I'll save Neverwinter because I'm a hero!" / "I'll save Neverwinter but it'll cost ya!")

• The last level (I think) is where you teleport to the home of those frog people. Not bullywugs. The other frog people. They're from the astral plane or something. These dudes have hundreds of hit points. I never finished the game because I kept running into a bug where you would hit the enemy, his hit points would go into the negative, and he wouldn't die. Eventually the game would crash. Anyway, the last level I played was fighting against giant evil intelligent frog creatures.

This is plausible in a D&D-type setting but doesn't match any game I can think of. The closest would be NWN and those reptilian sarrukhs.

• You can enchant weapons and when you enchant them you get to rename them. I came across another bug that let you keep adding enchantments. I don't know if the new enchantments stacked, or if the name just got longer, but if you added too much the game would crash.

Definitely NWN2; don't remember that bug though.

• One of the towns--I remember this being in one of the older isometric games--was a marsh town built on stilts.

ToEE, Nulb.

• You start the expansion with your 20th-level character from the end of the main campaign, and you immediately lose all your gear and get swept off to the Underdark or Shadowfell or someplace like that.

NWN or NWN2, but I don't think either strips you of your gear completely. It simply becomes useless compared to new gear.

• I was looking forward to this expansion or sequel because it added a world map with random encounters so I wouldn't have to worry about murdering everything worth experience points in order to max out my party. I could just wander into a random encounter for more XP. But then the random encounters ended up sucking because the enemies were really weak and there were only like three random encounter maps.

NWN: Storm of Zehir is the best fit although some of the random encounters are brutal early on (Wyverns).

• At the bottom of the dungeon, you could fight forever in a new procedurally generated dungeon level. But that sucked too because the procedural generator just made straight walls and big open spaces.

Interesting idea but I'm blanked.

• During character generation you could give anyone 18 strength, but then when you make them some kind of fighter, paladin, or ranger, you get to roll that stupid extra strength thing for them. If you rolled a character with 18/90 strength, you would probably keep him. If you rolled 18/25, you could just erase the character and roll a new one until you got better strength.

Every 1st or 2nd edition D&D game.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
  • There's a paladin who can join your party, but he grabbed a cursed sword that froze him in place. In order to get the paladin into your party, one of your party members has to grab the sword. That will free the paladin, but your other companion is now stuck to the sword.
That's in Pool of Radiance : Ruins of Myth Drannor. By the time you get there the paladin is pretty useless compared to your party members, so I let him rot.

That sounds like the golem dungeon in Hordes of the Underdark (NWN second expansion)

http://www.gamebanshee.com/neverwinternights/hotuwalkthrough/ruinstwo.php

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
OK, I think I'm remembering the docks from NWN 2. felipepepe in that game is your uncle a dwarf and your base of operations is his tavern? Is one of the first characters to join your party after entering the city an evil sorceress who betrays you at the end?
Isn't that from the NWN2 OC?
Yup, that's NWN2 OC. Your uncle is an elf, but the owner of the tavern you set camp is a dwarf.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
NWN has no ways to enchant your dragon's natural attacks?
Yeah, exactly. Makes that shapeshifting form practically useless.

In D&D 3.5, shapeshifting druids were one of the most fun and varied characters to play. They were also one of the most OPed. It was like one set of designers said "We need to keep this wildshape ability under control. Druids can change into any of these creatures, but we're going to put serious limits on it." And then another set of designers said, "It'll be more fun for the player to do what he wants, so let's get rid of these limitations one feat (or magical item) at a time."

And then when your epic-level druid's wild shape is nerfed, you just cast spells and it's not as fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom