Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is the Best MMORPG of all Time poll

The best mmorpg

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Unwanted

logan

Unwanted
3 votes per user !

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
I still havent found one I can play for more than a few weeks, except maybe eve. But eve is so slow paced and involved that it can get a bit too tedious :negative:

So EVE and WoW, but I play neither.

Suicidal

Arcane
My personal favorite MMORPG to this day is Runes of Magic, some Chinese WoW copy.

It was basically WoW with a few interesting additions. For example, you could multiclass any classes in the game and every combination produced a different unique class with its own skills, and a priest-warrior actually differed significantly from a warrior-priest.

But that's not why I liked the game. I liked it because it was an exploitable hilarious mess full of bugs, weird design decisions and drama. You could PVP anywhere in the game and people actually dropped their stuff, including their pay2win +20 suit of armor fully slotted with max tier runes they bought for 1k dollars in the cash shop. You could also abuse the game mechanics to make your own gear not droppable to your enemies (and most people didn't even know about that possibility even though it wasn't even a bug, just a weird design decision). It also had a really fucking weird item system that allowed you to upgrade your gear almost infinitely and run around as level 20s oneshotting max level people (which, again, not many people knew about).

I played it with a few friends and we met some people in the game who told us about all of this stuff and we basically started running around together and wiping entire cities and quest zones. Global chat was full of anger and drama, top guilds organized witch hunts and chased us across the entire server, yet couldn't do much to hinder us because, lol exploits. Then we started camping auction houses and wiping all the people inside and stealing the shit they were buying and selling and there was even more drama. Then we started camping entrances to raid dungeons and looting people as soon as they came out and there was even more drama. Have you ever seen a MMORPG where a group of 4-5 mid-level people could kill 10-20 fully geared max level players and take all their shit? Well RoM was that game.

Eventually the devs made some dumb updates and most people quit the game and there was no one to kill anymore so we quit too. I've yet to find an MMO more hilarious and fun than this. It's a shit genre IMO, RoM was just a weird exception for me.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I vote darkfall even though it’s flawed. The few months after NA release was one of the best times I’ve ever had in a game but then of course the no-lifes who spent 24 hrs/day grinding and macroing took over and dominated everything :/

I almost voted WoW as well because the world is so nice and there’s tons of cool dungeons/raids but I’ve never been able to experience anything because I’m not interested in spending 50+ hours every patch grinding gear to play the real content. So fuck you WoW

Unwanted

logan

Unwanted
So i spent last week playing EverQuest for the first time in the project 1999 sever.The world is interesting,i like the race/class diversity and the game atmosphere.However the game is too fucking grindy jesus ! away too much ! yesterday i spent 10 hours killing hundreds of mobs and looting and i still weak ! i cant even fight enemies in far zones from the dwarf city(Kaladim).I grinding for hours to get the leather equipment and lvl 6 but still i cant fight against strong enemies than the starting zone.And worse ! i screwed up and fell from a boat into the ocean(Maiden's Voyage area)and i cant go back ! I tried to swim in all directions but nothing happens,literaly stuck ! and the only way out is drowning which means i lose all my fucking gear and some exp that i have spent hours grinding for.This game is making me really sick ! such a waste of potential and huge stepback from ultima online which of course have grinding but nowhere near as bad as in EverQuest.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Definitely EVE for being EVE, and Final Fantasy for being the best of the World of Warcraft-like genre, and being better at being World of Warcraft than World of Warcraft.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Asheron's Call 2 but no Vanguard: Saga of Heroes option?
:killit:

No Horizons option? (J/k, I played that shit and unless the category was 'best MMO you could play as a dragon' it's not winning anything. Probably not even that.)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Ultima Online.

When released, this was a gigantic open world simulator. People were free to do ANYTHING (for the most part). Rob people, Kill people, try to make a living within the safety of the cities or try your luck in the open world.

There will NEVER be a game as brilliantly designed as this, ever again. The base principal of the game is utterly un-surpassed. And won't be repeated ever again (because of money).

What the Developers DID do, was provide you with this gigantic open world, and various tools and social connection within the world. This allowed people playing to actually alter and effect the game and world.

An exceptional example of this games design is take a person who wishes to be a Miner. To hone your mining skills requires you to venture from the safety of the City and mine ore in the dangerous outside world. Outside the safety of the cities you could mine ore to sell or craft and increase your mining skill.

Of which, people will kill you and take your ore. Of which, this frustrated many of the players.

But then something wonderful happened. People (of their own accord) started organizing groups to defend miners against people who would kill them. They kept the miners safe, which in turn, the miners provided them with ore to make better armor and weapons for these defenders. To keep them safe.

This was a situation where people saw a challenge, adapted, survived and prospered. The game didn't force you to do this. YOU had to do this on your own to create such a dynamic. The Developers provided you with the tools and mechanics to achieve this. The world was open and you COULD actually effect the world around you.

You will never see such a brilliant idea in MMO Game design for a long long long time....

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
I have no idea why we're limited to 3 options here because I don't think it's improving the poll really. I voted EVE Online, Guild Wars (which really isn't very MMO tbh), and Ultima Online, but I suspect Dark Age of Camelot belongs up there too, from the rumors I've heard. I notice there are a lot of WoW votes, but WoW was honestly casual trash from the start. It was the popamole decline of MMORPGs. Combat was simple and boring as fuck, grind was fucking ridiculous (because it was designed by EQ no-lifers), world was utterly static, PvP was a horribly imbalanced mess, battlegrounds were late in the coming and few in number, itemization was shit, professions were imbalanced, racials were imbalanced, devs intentionally concealed mechanics and information from the players, and the playerbase was filled with retards. And it was probably the biggest cause of the MMORPG genre going to shit. Guild Wars 2 for instance was a straight up decline ruining Guild Wars to become more WoW-like because idiotic suits and new hires who never played GW1 thought that was what good MMOs looked like even though GW1 was a very different and much better game. WoW's success was never copied because it was in large part a marketing success and you're never going to sell people on "WoW, but with less players." Take a WoW server and kill its population. No one will play that because the game actually isn't very fun.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The best MMO is SocioloTron, the only MMO ever that has full PrP. (Player rape Player)

Beastro

Arcane
EQ, UO and Other: World War II Online. In the latters case I wish I'd played it when it had a good population. It still remains damn fun when I played it years ago despite a population unable to handle the large campaign map in many ways.

But then something wonderful happened. People (of their own accord) started organizing groups to defend miners against people who would kill them. They kept the miners safe, which in turn, the miners provided them with ore to make better armor and weapons for these defenders. To keep them safe.

Rallos Zek server in EQ had a similar phenomenon with anti-PKs that loved PvP just as much as PKs, but did it in opposition of them and to protect the community. It wound up creating an oddly realistic setting where it was for the most part a safe world but still nonetheless one full of bandits skulking about trying to stay under the radar and gank people before they drew too much attention.

Such emergent gameplay won't simply not exist again due to money issues and the massive butthurt and customer support load it caused, but because the ethos of the anti-PKs and your miner defenders is now rare. You can see that playing EQ today where the selfish asshole mentality predominates. This isn't simple nostalgia, it's a shift in culture and I don't know where it has fully come from since many old vets exhibit it too, but from my days playing emulator servers 10 years ago it was also the predominant mentality on the PvP ones that then spread to places like P99.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Rallos Zek server in EQ had a similar phenomenon with anti-PKs that loved PvP just as much as PKs, but did it in opposition of them and to protect the community. It wound up creating an oddly realistic setting where it was for the most part a safe world but still nonetheless one full of bandits skulking about trying to stay under the radar and gank people before they drew too much attention.

Such emergent gameplay won't simply not exist again due to money issues and the massive butthurt and customer support load it caused, but because the ethos of the anti-PKs and your miner defenders is now rare. You can see that playing EQ today where the selfish asshole mentality predominates. This isn't simple nostalgia, it's a shift in culture and I don't know where it has fully come from since many old vets exhibit it too, but from my days playing emulator servers 10 years ago it was also the predominant mentality on the PvP ones that then spread to places like P99.
It spread because there was only ever one man who alone with his train stood against the forces of evil:

https://www.notacult.com/fansythefamous.htm

Beastro

Arcane

It spread because there was only ever one man who alone with his train stood against the forces of evil:

https://www.notacult.com/fansythefamous.htm

Sullon Zek is where the viciousness first began to breed I'll admit when people didn't care about the server mechanics beyond the ability to grief, unlike Frybread.

Fry's (Fansy's main handle) is an odd guy. One of first hints of SJWism I ran into around Gamergate was when he went off the handle and shut our guilds (FoH) website down do to the humour going on on the board and TS he didn't like, which was the same tired old "Nigger, nigger! I said Nigger, lol!" talk from some members that had been going on for over a decade by that point.

Dude's lived in Chicago for too long.

Last edited:

Vrab

Learned
There is no choice but EVE and Hail M is it's prophet. At least it was like that years ago.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom