Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

V_K

Arcane

V_K

Arcane
English has the best grammar, but the most batshit crazy spelling.
You clearly haven't studied Danish. Or Irish Gaelic for that matter.

No I haven't, but out of the stuff I'm roughly familiar with, English is by far most retarded. The same sound can have so many different spelling it's absolutely bonkers. Aye saw an I, sea what eye mean?
In Danish there's just zero connection between how a word is spelled and how it's pronounced. None whatsoever. There are 3-4 times as many vowel sounds as there are letters (and that's not counting diphthongs and long/short variants), and still each sound can be written in several ways. And half the consonants in any given word are silent (and they swallow most of the rest when they speak fast - which is to say always). How do Danes understand each other is one of the greatest misteries of this world.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Is this a democratic poll in which the majority wins? If so, they have a lot of work to do.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
WTF? Half the voting people are english speakers why would they give a shit? Hell, why would anyone give a shit at all? This is all technical linguistic terminology. If you can actually comprehend what this poll is about after reading the poll description in English, you don't need any localization in a first place.

This is incredibly stupid. Incredibly stupid and pointless. It goes without saying that it's highly immersion breaking to find incorrectly localized grammar, especially in a game that almost exclusively relies on text for storytelling.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'd say all the people who voted on this poll know English well enough to understand what Josh is saying, sooooo. The mere fact he's making this poll, instead of just taking care of the issue at hand without asking the "community" about it, tells me it's a difficult problem to fix.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
it's a translation issue that Sawyer ran across because one of the little bits of "fun" he wanted to implement into the game has landed him into the murky waters of programming complicating localization; something that I imagine he's never had to deal with before while trying to scope out a game mechanic. the man probably panicked!

this isn't necessarily a big ole problem, but it can appear so when the designer suddenly runs into it during feature implementation and it is something outside of their established 'problems budget'; it does make me giggle that most romance languages make references to something as an object to be male (el barco) but female when it's named (la santa maria), so i can picture Sawyers eyes going cross-eyed when he's spitballing with the input system and watching the game spit shit out.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

From where I'm at this is one of those things that are too complicated to be worth fixing. It'd be doable reasonably well for PIGS and F (assume <shipname> is feminine, /regexp/ out any article the player may have added, and use the appropriate one in the text) but highly synthetic languages like the Slavic ones for example are just way too much trouble.

My solution would be to inform the writers and localisers of the problem and have them deal with it in the text. I.e. make it so that <shipname> is only used if it's in nominative case, otherwise just use phrases like "your ship" etc.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Well, it may seem pointless to someone using a simpler language, but the fact is that if a different case is used and the pronoun and/or entire word will not decline, this will sound a bit jarring. As a compromise I could live with that. Hell I often actually prefer the English game version if its the original one. But I can see how it could annoy some people.

I applaud Josh for taking all the little details into consideration.

True but he is just focusing on irelevant stuff now shot like this eye candy graphis etc itr jeems luj1 was right even is he is troll...

Quillon

Arcane
Do they have obligation to investors to release the game in a "reasonable" amount of time? Since they promised less percentage of potential profits compared to f.i. Wasteland 3 with which InXile is keeping investor money much longer and promising higher percentage return. We already know of some features(Berath's Blessing & maybe Companions' multiclassing) will be lightly implemented and improved upon post-release.

Ruzen

Savant
I don't think this time, a light launch would satisfy not players nor reviewers. This time they are going up against "Best RPG of all time" "How Divinity:OS2 made me fall in love with RPGs again" and people could easily crucify your game. It has to be at least PoE 2.0 quality or you can forget about even satisfying sale numbers. The launch dates are not in their favor too; you have to launch your game at least a month before steam summer sale starts or you wait for Q4 to compete against AAA titles which need others to fuck up. It's a tight schedule.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'd rather wait however long it takes than play an early beta at launch and have to wait for them to finish it with patches either way.

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
The launch dates are not in their favor too; you have to launch your game at least a month before steam summer sale starts or you wait for Q4 to compete against AAA titles which need others to fuck up. It's a tight schedule.

If only it was that easy to predict a good launch date. Look how badly TTON got fucked. Initially it seemed like they found a great launch slot in February, then it turns out they're launching with Horizon Zero Dawn and new Zelda.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Do the audiences overlap that much, though? I never had an interest in either the new Zelda or Horizon Zero Dawn and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Even on the rare chance someone is interested in both Numanuma and those other games, they would've eventually bought them all, even if it's not in the first month. I think publishers are too preoccupied with day 1 or month 1 sales when historically it's been proven good RPGs have a long tail. Numanuma was fucked because it's an awful game, not because it released in the same month as Zelda.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Do the audiences overlap that much, though? I never had an interest in either the new Zelda or Horizon Zero Dawn and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Even on the rare chance someone is interested in both Numanuma and those other games, they would've eventually bought them all, even if it's not in the first month. I think publishers are too preoccupied with day 1 or month 1 sales when historically it's been proven good RPGs have a long tail. Numanuma was fucked because it's an awful game, not because it released in the same month as Zelda.

Against some games you just can't launch because they'll kill you dead even if audiences don't overlap. It's like Age of Wonders 3 launching the same day as GTA V PC. Dead and buried right there. Or Half Life 2 vs. VTMB.

And yeah if TTON didn't suck it would recover in terms of units moved, but money wise it wouldn't, because the sales would be at reduced price. The mythical "long tail" doesn't really activate unless there's a sale or price reduction.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Reminder that PoE1 was also released in March. If it ain't broke don't fix it?

Ruzen

Savant
Yes, of course, it is not an easy thing to predict market but always you need to make a well educated guess and hope to get lucky years from that date. The more important thing about the launch dates is to be inside the news circle! Not that audiences overlap that much (although casual sales are more profitable than "hardcore" fans's) If you try to launch your game while New Dragon Age news happening people won't see your game. Even Red Dead Redemption 2 would affect the sales of PoE2. But If by chance a AAA title such as Andromeda fucks up big time and there is no news to cover all people would ever talk about your game. That is what happened with the Divinity 2. Every podcast, news outlet talked about only this.

A similar thing happened with the Torment too. It was a horrible launch but people were kinda fed up with "book rpg". They were already nourished from PoE. Now It's the PoE2's turn to compete against something. So It has to be very good. Like extremely good. If by chance Divinity puts an expansion pack before or around PoE2 launch it would hurt their sales brutally too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom