Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pathfinder: Kingmaker Stage 2 Alpha Test Released

DeepOcean

Arcane
But what I definitely don't see here is a game that's aiming to be very much unlike PoE. They're pretty obviously imitating it in many ways, not just visually but also in terms of writing style with prose etc. And Pathfinder/3E means active abilities, attacks of opportunity and other things that people often dislike in these sorts of games.
Such a pity then, Sawyer made an entire generation of cRPGs unplayable, that is quite an achievement.

RPG Codex Pillars of Eternity Disappointment Savior Syndrome, wherein every RTwP RPG that isn't Pillars of Eternity automatically gains credibility and becomes the object of hopes that it will be the game that finally washes away the taste of Pillars of Eternity. :D
They only need to not be pretentious fools filled with hot air and just copy Pathfinder, if they do this, then yes, it won't be hard to be better than PoE.

Sure. Things that seem plausible to me right now:

1) This game will be better than PoE1.

2) This game will be even better in some ways than PoE2 (while being smaller or more limited in other ways/overall).

But what I definitely don't see here is a game that's aiming to be very much unlike PoE. They're pretty obviously imitating it in many ways, not just visually but also in terms of writing style with prose etc. And Pathfinder/3E means active abilities, attacks of opportunity and other things that some people disliked in PoE.

it feels more like they are copying Icewind Dale/baldurs gate/temple of elemental evil than PoE, to some that is splitting hairs but in this case the hair splitting (game system, established world and feel) is the entire issue...

BTW, I was extremely excited and very enthusiastic when PoE came out and I watched the first 20-30 minutes of the game. I thought I was going to love it and immediately bought the game. I did not start out with such a negative view of the system. In fact if you go back to the first forum posts when the game was released, I believe you will see most people were initially very excited. There was some negative stuff coming from the Beta, especially with regards to combat, but mostly I remember people feeling like Obsidian had hit a home run.

Peoples initial reaction and view of the game felt very positive. It was not until playing the game myself that I realized what a mess the actual rule system and combat system were. But I was not in any way leaning toward having a negative feeling about PoE when it was first released, quite the opposite.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, maybe we should all just watch some more. And ask the people who are playing like sstacks how the combat and other content is.

Well, maybe we should all just watch some more. And ask the people who are playing like sstacks how the combat and other content is.

sure, and its possible I suppose that my view of this game could change in the same manner that occured with PoE. I just think it is less of a chance since it is based upon a rule set I have previously enjoyed. And it feels like they have implemented the game rules both extremely well and in great detail. That is the source of my currently very positive feelings toward this game.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Damn this game looks sexy. Fun lets play, but spend less time fiddling around and pausing every second and more time playing plz.

What about dual weilding in the Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim

Are you still excited about it

Is this still something you're looking forward to in your life

Will any of us remember any of this in 5 years

In 50 years

A mystery indeed

Nazrim Eldrak

Scholar
I am not sure what to think about the only alignment focused dialogue options. In sstacks`s video it seems interesting enough...
I am wondering if this will hinder roleplaying feelings.
An example:
1. Char is neutral good
2. A heavy emotional fuck happens
3. Char neutral good changes his/her position to evil, because he/she is on rage

I don`t like the dialogue writings so far and the mouseover shit which shows what a "word" means feels like reading a thesis, science paper or anything else that needs "deep" studying.

I think the highlighted words are mostly cities/countries or cultures?!
A solution could be an interesting ingame video which shows and explains the different places/cultures (at least the most important ones).

Still, the game seems interesting enough to keep an eye on it. So far tendency goes to :incline: imo

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don`t like the dialogue writings so far and the mouseover shit which shows what a "word" means feels like reading a thesis, science paper or anything else that needs "deep" studying.

I think the highlighted words are mostly cities/countries or cultures?!

Lore tooltips, I guess you haven't seen them yet. That's a feature copied from Obsidian's latest RPGs.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i think codex quest should be something silly but fun, preferably not involving combat

sstacks

Arcane
sstacks I summon thee, tell us spirit from the youtube hell, is this game crap or not?

*popping in from YouTube hell and dripping it's slime*'

Well, what I can say definitely at this point is for an Alpha its really polished and for the most part non-buggy. There's still some placeholder stuff, but it's better visually and technically than most early betas.

I'm still too early into it for a total perspective, but what I see so far is promising.

Dialogue interaction, exploring a map screen, and combat all feel very Infinity Engine. The art (as I have seen others point out as well) is bright and a nice balance between realistic and cartoony. I'm flailing a little bit with some of the mechanics and gameplay but that is mainly due to my inexperience with Pathfinder's differences from D&D 3.5 than the crpg itself.

I love the the character creation and level up screens / UI. Resting is super cool and essentially a mini game.

Story-wise it's standard fare at this point: there is a villain oppressing the folk and hurting nature.

I would prefer turn based combat (for any D&D type crpg that is my preference).

May I return to my resident plane and resume with Google shoving a digital pitchfork up my bunghole, o summoner?

Tigranes

Arcane
I remember when desperate butthurts wanted Sword Coast Legends to be a million times better than POE & also the BG3 we never had

That said, this one's looked solid since Day 1 and I'm very excited for it. Don't give a shit how it compares with POE or whatever. All the basic systems look sound, what it really needs is to get the balance of encounters, loot and leveling right.

M. AQVILA

Arcane
I remember when desperate butthurts wanted Sword Coast Legends to be a million times better than POE & also the BG3 we never had

That said, this one's looked solid since Day 1 and I'm very excited for it. Don't give a shit how it compares with POE or whatever. All the basic systems look sound, what it really needs is to get the balance of encounters, loot and leveling right.

Sword Coast Legends looked like shit to me since I first laid eyes on it. And it was shit when I tried it out.
At first I was looking forward to PoE, but the more I looked into it I found their weird obsession with :littlemissfun: instead of making a fun game, my expectations dropped dramatically. Game released and it was mediocre at best, but at least I managed to play it until the end which can't be said for 90% of games I played in the last 5 years.

Now this game I'm looking forward to and seems to be what all of the BG&PST wannabes failed to be so far. Hopefully they will make a fun game.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Aren't you mistaking it for Serpert on the Staglands? From the Sword Coast Legends threads, all the people that had a drop of good sense knew the game was crap and N-Space were lying pieces of shit.

Tigranes

Arcane
Aren't you mistaking it for Serpert on the Staglands? From the Sword Coast Legends threads, all the people that had a drop of good sense knew the game was crap and N-Space were lying pieces of shit.

No. Maybe it was a minority, but there were numerous Codexers throughout willing to fap at SCL although it looked like shovelware from Day One.

Thankfully, Pathfinder looked solid from day one and continues to do so, and now we even have Chaos Chronicles revived!

sstacks

Arcane

I think one of the reasons I don't hate SCL and in fact like it well enough for what it is, is that I didn't have massive expectations of it being the Baldurs Gate of 5E or the next NWN.

I realized pretty soon in it would be an action-ish rpg loosely based on 5E with some DM tools.

(I will now stand still so everyone can :killitwithfire: me.)

DeepOcean

Arcane
(I will now stand still so everyone can :killitwithfire: me.)
I wouldn't :killitwithfire: someone for liking the game. I really didn't care that much that the game was a shitty DnD game, it wasnt the first, what was really infuriating was the fraud those pieces of shit at N-Space did, try to cash in on the NWN series sequel hype then just fucking lying on every fucking press release and hiding shit. For that they deserved:
04fadc4a4fe10434067699e0fba701e8a0dc58-wm.jpg

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
I hope this will be a great game.

But honestly, I enjoy POE in its 3.0 form despite its flaws. Codex is too hard on the game because of its unrealistic expectations.

Tyranny on the other hand was cancer.

Tao

Savant
POE 1.0 had a lot of problems, that can't be denied, but i just ended the Definitive Edition this holydays and it was a HUGE improvement from when i played it on released. Still it had a few key flaws for my taste (and im not talking about the sawyerist no fun allowed aspect, that's another dog) like the spells/powers all being the same 4 de/buff or the fast pace of the encounters (to much emphasis on inta burst dmg) for example.

Anyway i'm hyped for this one, i hope Pathfinder Kingmaker delivers all the good incline in one packed game.

jaelkeiset

Educated
I can see myself spening years in character creation. Is this RTWP? I prefer pure turn based, but still, looking forward to this very much.

Deleted Member 16721

RPG Codex Pillars of Eternity Disappointment Savior Syndrome, wherein every RTwP RPG that isn't Pillars of Eternity automatically gains credibility and becomes the object of hopes that it will be the game that finally washes away the taste of Pillars of Eternity. :D
for me its entirely based on the underlying rule base the games use. If PoE had used the same game system and world that Kingmaker is using it would completely change the equation. But instead its based on some total and complete crap that ruins the entire experience. Can't believe they wasted all that effort to design their own shit rule system. They could have cut off a year of development and had a much more entertaining game on top of it...instead we got some dude making a game for a few autists on some obscure website.

Slight wall-o-text incoming...

My hope with PoE in general was that they were going to make the "new D&D" in terms of ruleset and world. But the ruleset was tweaked so much with patches after release, it's probably 95% changed since it launched, giving it a feeling of never being done (and making the strategy guide outdated and useless, yes I have beef.) Plus, PoE2 looks like it's going to have even more changes to the rules from the first game. Not even mentioning that they missed a complete boss move to have Tyranny set in the PoE world and use the same ruleset (like IWD is to BG.)

The thing is, these seemingly small details - using a consistent ruleset and world lore between games, sticking with the finished product and not tweaking it endlessly - go a longgg way to me, much more than they really have any business doing. The reason BG/IWD are on another level is not just because of the ruleset but because the games take place in the same world WITH the same overall rules. It's consistent, and the games feel classier and higher quality because of it. AND, you can take your main character, items, stats and all directly into BG2! Not just some "choices" you made from the first game, or what faction you choose, but your literal character, rolled with a real ruleset, with a real character sheet and playing by the game rules that were laid out in the first game. Astonishing.

That was my hope for PoE. I still hope some developer can do that nowadays, with the time and budget needed to undertake such a project. It would make the games more memorable years from now, cement them as legendary and also set the table for future products and games like D&D has.

This Pathfinder game looks cool. They have the bonus of the very well-developed lore and ruleset, so that instantly attracts me with a +4 bonus compared to any other CRPGs that are coming out (that tend to feel more forgettable, and like "fast food" games.)

Just my thoughts, take from them what you will.

sstacks

Arcane
I can see myself spening years in character creation. Is this RTWP? I prefer pure turn based, but still, looking forward to this very much.

RTWP, but it seems initiative based rather than everyone simultaneously immediately.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom