Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline I bought a console, which games to buy

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Hello, I finally cracked and bought a playstation 4 Pro. Mostly because I know I will want to play Red Dead Redemption 2, ghost of tshushima and want to finally try GTA 5.

So I was wondering what else I should buy? I was thinking perhaps:

Overwatch - for some casual fun
Uncharted 4 - because it's apparently the blockbuster on PS4?

Any other titles I should get? I have not played deus ex - mankind divided, dishonored 2 and xcom 2 yet. so maybe I will play one of those on the console.

Hello, I finally cracked and bought a playstation 4 Pro. Mostly because I know I will want to play Red Dead Redemption 2, ghost of tshushima and want to finally try GTA 5.

So I was wondering what else I should buy? I was thinking perhaps:

Overwatch - for some casual fun
Uncharted 4 - because it's apparently the blockbuster on PS4?

Any other titles I should get? I have not played deus ex - mankind divided, dishonored 2 and xcom 2 yet. so maybe I will play one of those on the console.
Blue Whale challenge.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Bloodborne is an absolute must-buy.

Dark Souls 3 (unless you can run it on a PC, in which case, get the PC version without hesitation)

Nioh

Yakuza 0

There is a remastered version of The Last of Us available on PS4. TLOU is one of those games that is sort of a "cultural milestone" in video games, so if you care about that sort of stuff, play it. If you don't care, I don't think you'll miss much. As a game, I don't know that it was something all that special.

Edit: there is absolutely no reason to play Deus Ex, Dishonored 2, or XCom 2 on a console if you can play them on a PC. Absolutely none.

PrettyDeadman

Only buy exclusives.

Yakuza games (start with Yakuza 0).
Bloodborne.
Zero Horizon Dawn.
Last of Us remastered.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
You get a PS4 and you consider Overwatch of all things before Bloodborne?

The fact that he didn't mention Bloodborne means that he truly has failed at life.
At least when I went full console peasant, unwashed and all, I got fucking Bloodborne.

Op should probably kill himself.

Ash

Arcane
Pointless. All the actually good console exclusives are old (pre-decline era/pre-xbox360 and PS3 era) and can therefore be emulated on PC. Otherwise everything is multiplatform (therefore play on PC). There are exceptions, but they're extremely rare and not worth getting a cash cow box for.

Anyhow, here's a list of all PS4-exclusives: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:PlayStation_4-only_games

Spoiler: mostly shit.

Source: my sort-of significant other has a pisstation4 and yes, Bloodborne is decent, yet slightly inferior to Dark Souls while essentially being the same thing anyway. It's just not worth getting a modern console for. You made a big mistake getting Uncharted 4 also, unless you have no standards and are bedazzled by mere simple spectacle.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

games from this list that have been mentioned somewhat favourably on the codex:

alien: isolation

another world - 20th anniversary

asscreed 4 - black flag

banner saga 1 and 2

blackguards

bloodborne

broforce

too high to carry on, im sure other gentlemen will fill in c-z

Die in a fucking fire. All of these games (except Bloodborne - sorry, all console slash 'em ups look the same to me) play better on PC. People who buy games for console that they could have obtained on PC should be fucking killed.

As for PS4, I don't own many games (I mainly use it for Blu-rays), but the Uncharted Collection (1-3), Uncharted 4, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy and The Last of Us: Remastered are must haves. The Last of Us: Remastered is one of the best games I've ever played.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I will buy:

- Nioh
- The last of us remastered
- Valkyria Chronicles remastered
- Inside

I might get Unchartered 4 and Nier later...

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
bloodborne

Die in a fucking fire. All of these games play better on PC. People who buy games for console that they could have obtained on PC should be fucking killed.

As for PS4, I don't own many games (I mainly use it for Blu-rays), but the Uncharted Collection (1-3), Uncharted 4, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy and The Last of Us: Remastered are must haves. The Last of Us: Remastered is one of the best games I've ever played.
Ah yes, Bloodborne. Plays great on my PC. High definition graphics and 60 FPS, the minimum for any PC game. I'm so glad Sony bit the bullet and ported this to PC, it plays wonderfully.

Although seriously, get only PS4 exclusives. Even Nioh runs best on a PC with decent specs. Same definitely goes for Valkyria Chronicles and Inside.

Exclusives list:
Bloodborne
Yakuza 0 (Start with 0 or 1, shouldn't matter.)
Yakuza Kiwami
Yakuza 6
Persona 5
Last of Us Remastered (if you haven't played the PS3 one yet)

That's about it.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Only good PS4 game (that isn't available on a computer and 1000x better there) so far is Horizon Zero Dawn.

Plus, Bloodeborne apparently.

Atomkilla

Arcane
Horizon Zero Dawn is a decent post-apoc open-world action adventure game with very, very lite RPG elements. Gameplay is simply fun.
It's lead writer is John Gonzales, who wrote some of the best segments of Fallout New Vegas (had a big role in designing NCR-Legion conflict and personally wrote Survivor logs from HH), so the world and history of the pre-apocalypse are well designed, with some unique aspects.

Some of the vaginaphobes on dex probably hate it because you play as a womyn and there are *gasp* black people in it, but it's overall a good game that will last for 50-60 hours if you are a completionist. 25-30 if you're not.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The Last of Us: Remastered is one of the best movies "games" I've ever played.

FTFY.

I will buy:

- Nioh
- Inside

The fucking :decline: never stops.

It is now clear that it has reached the Codex. We must take immeadiate action by banning all storyfags and anyone that would consider buying a console from this generation.

Last edited:

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
Although seriously, get only PS4 exclusives. Even Nioh runs best on a PC with decent specs. Same definitely goes for Valkyria Chronicles and Inside.

Good advice in general, I forgot that Nioh was a PC release. I have it on PS4 because I got it from work, if I had not gotten a free copy I would have bought it for PC eventually.

Playing any FPS games on a console is absolute pleb tier.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
I will buy:

- Nioh
- Inside

Jesus Fucking Christ man everyone has said to get Bloodborne. Fucking get Bloodborne. It should be the first PS4 game you play.

Deleted member 7219

bloodborne

Die in a fucking fire. All of these games play better on PC. People who buy games for console that they could have obtained on PC should be fucking killed.

Ah yes, Bloodborne. Plays great on my PC. High definition graphics and 60 FPS, the minimum for any PC game. I'm so glad Sony bit the bullet and ported this to PC, it plays wonderfully.

Exclusives list:
Bloodborne
Yakuza 0 (Start with 0 or 1, shouldn't matter.)
Yakuza Kiwami
Yakuza 6
Persona 5
Last of Us Remastered (if you haven't played the PS3 one yet)

That's about it.

Edited my post, thank you for the correction.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Finish those several games, sell PS4 and buy Switch instead.
TrumpBestDeal.png

Bloodborne was fun if you like anything about the souls series but definitely not worth the entry price. I suggest you try to make the most of it by not falling into the paid psn sub trap, you should be able to get 5 free weeks of it if you want to try multiplayer for BB or something. Buy a couple of used goty copies of its exclusives(tlou,BB, hzd,uc4) then realize they are nothing special. Resell the whole lot for minimal loss by august/early september before sony starts talking about a new machine/new revision/msrp drop then go back to the PC's warm embrace like the cheating spouse that you are.

Then you have the choice of starting the whole affair again with the nintendo shield or use the money more wisely by paying a portly woman to trample your balls.

Last edited:

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
Bloodborne was fun but definitely not worth the entry price.

Not sure what you mean by entry price -- the game is definitely playable offline, so if you're advising him to not shell out the dubloons for the PSN subscription just to play with the online features, I'd agree. Multiplayer in BB is just irrelevant. But if you're talking about the price of the game itself, it is totally worth it (especially since it is no longer full price).

ETA: Also, I agree with the ball trampling.

Nuclear Explosion

Ratchet & Clank.
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy.
Bloodborne.

Ash

Arcane
The fucking :decline: never stops.

It is now clear that it has reached the Codex. We must take immeadiate action by banning all storyfags and anyone that would consider buying a console from this generation.

:salute:

I never expected so many long-time gamers to be so clueless regarding gameplay. Too many storyfags don't pay a lot of attention to the interactive experience. Others didn't play many vidja back in the golden age, sadly, where generally-speaking gameplay was king (as it should be in 99% of cases).

I would say the classic "go read a book/watch a movie", but I guess what storycunts value in games is interactive, dynamic storytelling. So they do deserve some mutual respect even if they're decline-enabling.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom