Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Best games of 2017

GOTY of 2017

• Metroid: Samus Returns

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • For Honor

• Assassin's Creed: Origins

• Injustice 2

• Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite

• Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2

• Wolfenstein II: The New Colussus

• Mario Kart 8

• Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III

• Dragon Quest Heroes II

• Strafe

• Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia

• Splatoon 2

• Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

• F1 2017

• Absolver

• Sundered

• Dirt 4

• Sniper Elite 4

• Overgrowth

• Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands

• The Surge

• Steel Division: Normandy 44

• What Remains of Edith Finch

• Middle-earth: Shadow of War

• Middle-earth: Shadow of War

• Xenoblade Chronicles 2

• Hand of Fate 2

• Beat Cop

• Total voters
I look at this poll and realize I have not played any of these games, nor do I particularly care to do so. Maybe I'm getting too old for this.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Haven't finished Prey, Elex, or Rain World, but they seem breddy gud. I do want to get DoS:II, but I've heard tales it's still full of bugs and few disagreements thereof, so I think I'll wait. There are many others I still need to finish.

Among the choices that I've completed, Hollow Knight takes the cake.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Surprised no one wasn't made this already.
suprised people each year start like 5 popularity contest lists instead of waiting for proper felipepe one

felipepe makes one about RPG's in particular. I made about videogames in general, of any genre.

Would've also picked Life Is Strange: Before the Storm if it was in the poll.

Life Is Strange is a game?
Ok... Done.

I do want to get DoS:II, but I've heard tales it's still full of bugs and few disagreements thereof, so I think I'll wait. There are many others I still need to finish.

Full of bugs, nah. The game is damn excellent when it comes to content (quests, exploration, level-design, world-building). Gameplay is also good, it strives towards player agency (like a real RPG should) and most mechanics are solid but unfortunately there are some dumb shit in it's systems - namely the fucking armor system, the fact that status effects are resisted by said armor system instead of your characters stats, the order of turns in combat and the HP bloat in Tactian difficulty. So overall the game is great but those dumb fucking changes to the system impede it from being overall excellent.

I do play with some mods that do a good patching to these problems, if you are intereted.
You can find all in the Nexus

Armor-Based Saving Throws (in this page there will 2 optional files called Rallying Enemies and Oiled Not Slowed, I recommend them too)
Controls are Back
No Psychic Enemies

Meaningful Weapon Choice
Massive Skill Rebalance
1AP Combat Sneak
8 AP Max
XP Gain Nerfed
Leadership-Restore
Interesting Uniques

Fast Run Speed

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I am actually surprised this many people chose Nier: Automata over NIOH (the latter being a much better Action game than the former).

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I tried Nioh. Took me a few minutes to actually stop laughing and uninstall the game. Maybe if they made an actual pc port instead of releasing a hilarious prank, more people would have voted for it.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I tried Nioh. Took me a few minutes to actually stop laughing and uninstall the game. Maybe if they made an actual pc port instead of releasing a hilarious prank, more people would have voted for it.

Yeah, it's Koei Tecmo. Their ports are trash by all accounts, and they refuse to price for the Steam market. That one Monster Hunter clone they publish is still priced at $60 when not on sale, and it's a fucking handheld port.

And Monster Hunter World releases for consoles this month, and soon after for PC. They're fucking braindead.

I am actually surprised this many people chose Nier: Automata over NIOH (the latter being a much better Action game than the former).

I shut off NIOH in disgust after about an hour. It seems to be a very good Souls-like game (though not a carbon copy), but it's just not for me. Note: I went insane and bought a PS4 Pro for Bloodborne and the two or three other worthwhile exclusives the PS4 has accumulated over the years, and that's the version of NIOH I have. At the time, NIOH was still console-exclusive.

Every battle with even one enemy (past the Tower and tutorial) feels like a match in a fighting game: Not unfair, per se, but the enemies fight back extremely well. They dodge, parry, riposte, and all that (or whatever; it's been a while, hazy on the details). The thing is, there are enemies all over the map and only one of me.

I paid very close attention to the tutorials and so on, and generally I never shy away from ackshun gaems due to difficulty (I completed DS1 and DS2, for example), but I don't think difficulty is the real culprit in this case. I recall someone saying in the Shoutbox that I should upgrade my gear or something, but if that was the case, then they REALLY put the cart before the horse.

From little I tried of Nioh the combat seemed good but I uninstalled it anyway because everything else was bland as fuck. I think I'll stick with Souls.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
D:OS 2, of course. Prey was pretty good too.

I also voted for Torment out of pity.

Hyperion

Arcane
NioH's story is that generic Sengoku-era shit, mixed with demons. NieR tried to do something unique, at the least. Combat-wise, Nioh is unmatched compared to everything else in the last few years, but some would say NieR is more complete, I suppose. NioH can get tiresome and is a great game to play in bursts.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Every battle with even one enemy (past the Tower and tutorial) feels like a match in a fighting game: Not unfair, per se, but the enemies fight back extremely well. They dodge, parry, riposte, and all that (or whatever; it's been a while, hazy on the details). The thing is, there are enemies all over the map and only one of me.

And it's one of the reasons that it's such a inclined game.

I paid very close attention to the tutorials and so on, and generally I never shy away from ackshun gaems due to difficulty (I completed DS1 and DS2, for example), but I don't think difficulty is the real culprit in this case. I recall someone saying in the Shoutbox that I should upgrade my gear or something, but if that was the case, then they REALLY put the cart before the horse.

Not just the gear you have to be aware, but also the skills. NIOH can be considered an ARPG and your skills (and build in general) do have weight in yout performance. You must be also aware that all weapons are better suited for fighting in certain scenarios (a tool for each job). You should try it again. Once you get a hold of the mechanics and the game flow, normal enemies won't trouble you very much - but the bosses now...

NioH's story is that generic Sengoku-era shit, mixed with demons. NieR tried to do something unique, at the least.

I simply don't give a fuck about "stories" in games. It's a waste of time and it's not a game's point. Because developers don't realise this (and much more) they shink to many resources to try and make a "emotional engaging experience", and the players get something that would be better suited to watch than play.

Besides if we come down to it Nier story feels like the writer just read the introductory pages of The Will to Power and said: "This is ridicoulous but it migh sound cool if I slap some quotes, and references to existentialist philosophers, of this into a post-apocalyptic setting about Androids killing Robots in the name of something that doesn't exist anymore.".
I did like the game but Nioh just has all around better gameplay.

Last edited:
Because everyone here has played Prey while to play BotW you need a Switch or WiiU, in theory. Or perhaps the worst Arkane game is still better than Zelda.

Vibalist

Arcane
maxresdefault.jpg

nature-warhammer-artwork-2560x1600-wallpaper.jpg

slawomir-maniak-wtw-final-rgb5.jpg

diego-gisbert-llorens-ca-key-art-wip7c2a.jpg

latest

:incline:

Silva

Arcane
Automata for me, followed by Hollow Knight, Zelda, PUBG and 2k18.

This year is stacked, probably the best in a long time. But still behind the perfection that was 1998.

DJOGamer PT said:
For Honor
rdlol.gif

Last edited:

wyes gull

Savant
Free Cities and Fight'n Rage.
What can I say, I like my slaves and violence against furries.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
I simply don't give a fuck about "stories" in games. It's a waste of time and it's not a game's point. Because developers don't realise this (and much more) they shink to many resources to try and make a "emotional engaging experience", and the players get something that would be better suited to watch than play.
Nah, Automata is not that offensive in this respect. It's more of a Theme game than a Story one which means making the player deal with it's themes through actual play instead of being fed spoons of shit to passively consume like in your typical JRPG (like Persona 5, for example). It's not so different from Soma in this respect. Now you can still find the "playing the themes" that Soma and Automata does as shit a style as "reading the story on screen", but you can't the deny the former at least try to make use of the medium.

About Nioh, it has great combat but it's more abstract aspects like lore and world-building are so embarrassing I couldn't keep interest after combat novelty passed out. And before you say "muh lore" remember that the game has SHINTO SHRINES IN A FUCKING LONDON MEDIEVAL TOWER. No suspension of disbelief survive unscathed such an encounter. If you're selling the illusion of a fictional world and narrative, then commit to it for fucks sake. If you gonna ape Soulsborne at least do your homework, as Hollow Knight did. And frankly, if it's Gameplay for gameplay, I rather put 1996 Bulls against 2017 Warriors on 2k18 with a gameplay that's way more deep, nuanced and verissimile than anything Nioh can offer.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom