Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why is the state of competitive fps games so bad?

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I was so excited back in the day for the future of fps esports with games like quake, team fortress classic, cs, natural selection, etc...

Fast-forward now and we have absolute casual trash like overwatch, paladins, and pubg dominate the market. TF2 was okay but it the beginning of an end by removing so much of what made tfc so good.

Does anyone know how the hell we went from skill movement, aim carry etc... to basically mobas with fps elements where people get participation awards for pressing q?

My only hope that dirty bomb gets their shit together and gains more players because if not... rip genre i guess.

Jokzore

Arbiter
You mean you're not having the time of your life with the modern day masterpiece that is Lawbreakers ?

:troll:

abija

Prophet
At high level overwatch is about as casual as cs. If only we got some competent devs behind quake or unreal this would be the best time for competitive fps. Overwatch, CS, RS and something like Quake/UT would cover all needs.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
The problem with cs go is to me its yet another version of polluting fps with different mechanics. In cs go its more "tactical" shooter since you have to basically play a glorified hide and seek, camp, and throw nades everywhere to achieve anything and stand still to shoot. We have too much of tactical/hero type pollution in fps games imo. Although I do think cs go is a good tactical shooter don't get me wrong just not my thing.

I want to go back to movement/map control/aim skill shooters. I do think SOME hero/tactical elements are good in fps games but cs go and overwatch go way overboard imo.

Kitchen Utensil

It's because casuls can't be arsed to git gud. There's no money to be made with skill-based multiplayer games.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Let me tell you why it's bad : it's only singles and teenagers that can afford to invest time in competitive FPS. Or any real time high attention needing activity. Because when you do get a real life, a kid, a wife, you simply cannot do that anymore at the amount it's required to become a pro at it. The baby will cry. The woman will say lunch is ready. The dog will want a walk.

So, as long as a discipline is dominated by idiots and the socially handicapped, it can never achieve greatness.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Let me tell you why it's bad : it's only singles and teenagers that can afford to invest time in competitive FPS. Or any real time high attention needing activity. Because when you do get a real life, a kid, a wife, you simply cannot do that anymore at the amount it's required to become a pro at it. The baby will cry. The woman will say lunch is ready. The dog will want a walk.

So, as long as a discipline is dominated by idiots and the socially handicapped, it can never achieve greatness.

I am about to hit 30 and sure I don't have as much time but what the fuck does quality of game have to do with how much time people have? I have friends in med school who are top tier ranks in dota, ow. The truth is casual game is synonymous with just low iq absolute waste of time hold left click games. Id rather be bad at a competitive game due to lack of time then have my saliva drip down as i play "casual" version.

Socially handicapped who the programmers or the players? Cause I fail to see how being good at video games which is essentially as genetic as it goes (basically iq test) has anything to do with being awkward at parties or game development.

Low effort response dude.

Ash

Arcane
Fuck that.

Why is the state of competitive FPS so bad?
Why is the state of singleplayer FPS so bad?
Why is the state of shooters including third person so bad?

Why is the state of gaming overall so bad?

Money of course. And cucks with no standards as a lesser factor.

lemon-lime

Educated
Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel one major contributing factor is, that gaming isn't really community-driven anymore. Devs and publishers want to control (and monetize) everything. The Quakes, Unreal games, Half-Lifes and their mods were all pretty free-form. Today we have account binding, match making, dev-controlled servers. All that stupid corporate bullshit suffocates community driven competition. And it's not limited to shooters. Pretty much every single genre has caught that cancer.

There are some rays of light still though:
I am not an RTS player, I learned early that I really suck at the whole genre; but in the last year I've found myself passively following the OpenRA community a bit. It's small but very refreshing in modern's gaming landscape, because its competitive scene has that old school spirit.
Another nice counter example is the competitive offline fighting game community. Known to me personally pretty much only because of "Who bitch this is?" fame. You can still feel that same free spirit within that group of people, console-tards or not.

Kitchen Utensil

No.

People simply don't want to be confronted with the fact that they suck. One hour of dedicated play per day over the course of a couple of weeks would be enough to overcome the state of total suck. And don't tell me there aren't enough neckbeards playing some total shit for 6 or more hours per day. But they'd have to think while playing and analyse what they're doing and what they're doing wrong. The thing is, they want to press buttons and feel awesome all the time. They can't bear being beaten in a duel by another human where there's no rng and/or teammates to blame for their loss.

draug

Novice
Doesn't Titanfall 2 have a really well implemented movement system? Also Quake Champions exists and is doing fine.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Fuck that.

Why is the state of competitive FPS so bad?
Why is the state of singleplayer FPS so bad?
Why is the state of shooters including third person so bad?

Why is the state of gaming overall so bad?

Money of course. And cucks with no standards as a lesser factor.

To expand on this to answer the specific question asked: A good game will become competitive within its community, and possibly somewhat beyond. But if the game doesn't appeal to the casuals, there will never be a market to elevate the game to proper "esports"-level, and the big shots with the big money won't give two shits about it. Nevermind that gameplay-wise the game is the Second Coming of Christ.

It's that age-old idiom of the entertainment industry: Appeal to the lowest common denominator to get the highest possible revenue.

With the singular exception of the original Starcraft, I think it's safe to say that all games on esports-level are casual tripe by design.

abija

Prophet
Doesn't Titanfall 2 have a really well implemented movement system? Also Quake Champions exists and is doing fine.
QC would be racing Lawbreakers to the bottom if quake fans weren't so desperate and Bethesda didn't throw a decent amount of money in marketing. Not exactly sure what you call fine, but QC is many many $$$ in negative atm and when (not if) Bethesda will want to cut losses it will deservedly join Lawbreakers.

Anyway, competitive FPS is probably in the best place it has ever been. Need to keep in mind, even in the glory days of quake and ut, proper duel/tdm was a minority. Vast majority of players were dicking around in ffa or various silly mods.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
"Filthy casuals"
Not the meme, just lots of "gamers" being actual filthy casuals these days.
1v1, have to take responsibility for what's happening on-screen, nope
Paying actual attention to what's happening on-screen, nope
Absorbing universal concepts from games, understanding and re-applying them, nope

But like the Fat man said in that awesome Mattchat interview "That's not us", as in as long as there are alternatives, you shouldn't really give too much of a fuck.
You can still get games of BW or Q3 going, GG is still going strong, ITS and Styg delivering the goods etc.
The grass is not greener on the other side and it's starting to smell over there, I'll just stay put thankyouverymuch.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I have friends in med school who are top tier ranks in dota, ow.

How is this possible? I, too, have friends in medical school who don't even time to masturbate (figuratively) because of the hours and hours and hours and hours they commit to studying for exams.

Norfleet

You can tell a bad genre of game when you ask yourself the following question: "Would this still be an interesting game to play or watch if all of the players were AI?".

The results are clear. Watching an RTS played by AI is a thing of beauty. Watching an FPS played by bots is a shitshow, because the fundamental nature of an FPS assumes that players are incompetent humans, and the entire premise of the game tends to dissolve when flawed humans are replaced by machines.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
because the fundamental nature of a game assumes that players are incompetent humans, and the entire premise of the game tends to dissolve when flawed humans are replaced by machines.
FYP, np.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom