Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

sullynathan

Arcane
Well, I just beat Darksiders 2. It honestly wasn't too bad, just a pretty mediocre experience that is too long.
I beat Bloodborne Old Hunters and I will probably expand on my experience with the DLC and the rest of the game later.

Blonsky

Prophet
Pillars of eternity with a monk, was ok for awhile but then i got bored with it and just uninstalled it. Still not sure if i made a mistake and should have suffered through the bad parts.

Tried Tales of Wuxia: Presequel after that, TB combat was ok, but there is so much talking in the game and most of it is completely useless/boring/unnecessary, i just dont know whats the main story anymore.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Destiny of a emperor for the nes,basically pokemon where you collect romance of the three kingdoms generals.
It is basically a dragon quest clone where instead of health you have troops that need provisions.
The spell system has been replaced by tactics in which you need a tactician to use.
The combat is generic old jrpg,turn based with no movement considerations whatever.There is an auto battle option called out in which you automate the battles.
Bosses require your attention,you need to target the generals first and then go for fodder.
But the game isn't challenging whatsoever because of the random encounters.They are frequent and annoying,meaning you will be over leveled and have plenty of money without doing much.Retreating isn't an options because if you fail you have to watch their animation anyway.
You can also collect generals by capturing or bribing them,but you only have tactician and fighter as options and only two stats.So it is always a easy choice which one too chose.

I just beat the dong zhuo portion and i don't think i will continue,the random encounters are too much.
Here is a couple of screenshots:

I have to say most of the nes jrpg games are completely ruined by the random encounters,coupled with low amount of classes they become boring very quickly.
Also random encounters make the game either way too easy or hard depending on their frequency.
The only exceptions are ff3 and dragon quest 3/4,at least they have some class variety.

Freddie

Savant
Going on with my Shadown: HK replay.

I'm somewhere near the halfway now I think. I got back to this because I really liked it during my first run and that it's a game which amount of dialogue is perceived quite differently among Codexers.

During this run I have paid more attention to writing, I didn't really read everything during my first run. At this point however I think there may be interface design issue in this game, which only really manifests when there is lot of things to read. Regarding amount of available dialogue, I still think it's a design choice Hare Brained did consciously, just the amount of flavour text describing characters actions is very telling.

I will get back to this when I have finished the game, but I think for the amount of textual content, flow might be an issue. It doesn't bother me that much, but then I play these sort of games when I'm on holidays, have time for this. For someone who liked to advance like one or two missions in a day, and who is a completionist, advancing in plot can feel really slow, because it's actually slow.

But I get back to this once I have finished my second run.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I'm playing Mad Max now and it's pretty barren.
Reminds me of riding around in TW3 and exploring Point of Interests, looting boxes with even less varied loot and monsters to fight.

Morkar Left

I'm playing Mad Max now and it's pretty barren.
Reminds me of riding around in TW3 and exploring Point of Interests, looting boxes with even less varied loot and monsters to fight.

The fun comes from fighting other cars / chasing convois. The lack of loot and extremely easy difficulty is the downside of the game.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I am doing a full run of the entire Splinter Cell series. I started with SC1, went onto SC:CT, then did SC:Blacklist and am now in the process of doing 7th generation Double Agent. I will do Pandora Tomorrow and Conviction later. I dread the latter even though I own a physical copy of it.
After that I think I'll go back to playing Rising Storm 2. I got Titan Quest Anniversary Edition on Steam and I'll see if it's good or not after I am done with Splinter Cell, but I might possibly replay Blacklist one more time and focus on a more casual normal difficulty full kill run instead of ghosting it on realistic like I did for most of the game on my first and second playthroughs.
Note: "ghosting" in Splinter Cell: Blacklist means you shoot at everything, but non lethally.

exe

Augur
Just finished Okami HD, really great game. Very beautiful and unique, also amazing soundtrack. Any similar games to recommend?

circ

Arcane
Perhaps inspired by playing Drakensang 1 and 2, I decided to replay another rtwp game - Dragon Age Origins.

Well now. Visually it's ok in interiors, nice lighting - haven't advanced beyond a castle set. No piss filters from Drakensang here. But it's like the whole castle is the result of one giant incestuous orgy - everyone looks the same. And I don't understand why. BioWare did fine in KoTOR and Jade Empire, people looked that I remember different and unique. But I'm not even out of the castle and I've already ran into 3 Alistair triplets.

The animations. Hoo boy. I mean fuck, I've seen five dollah indies with better animations than this.

And yes, it was EA marketing, but I think BioWare were trying to create something massive and EPIC here, but how the fuck can the facial animations too suck so hard. Games 10 years older did it better.

You can hire a million celebrity voice actors, but if their faces look dead, who cares.

I looked at animation replacers - there are two for running apparently, couldn't really tell much of a difference before and after. Maybe fix the combat? It's like drunk guys with MS fighting it out.

flyingjohn

Arcane
New master of orion.
Well they somehow manged to make the most idiotic decisions in a 4x game ever.
Gravity completely destroys the early game.You will not settle any different gravity unless it is gaia or something and even then it is neutered a lot.Some planets even start starving immediately since the penalties remove all the food.Brilliant.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
as always the trifecta of daily grinding: Heroes of the storm, hearthstone and battlefront 2

Trying to fire up: Shadow tactics, Prey and also a bit of battlegrounds

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I know there are Wii-U emulators so you can play BoTW.
From what I've seen, you need really good PC for that, also there still will be many bugs.

I guess. My friend uses one to play BoTW and never had an issue. And the emulator maintainers, the good ones at least, release updates fairly often.

Perhaps it would be better to try older Zelda games like Windwaker, Ocarina of Time, etc.

Okami was a nice game but I remember it had interminable tutorials and annoying gibberish voices all the time. I never managed to finish it back when I played it on the ps2.

McPlusle

Savant
Thief Gold on hard. I played the first two and a half levels on normal about a year ago and liked it but dropped it for some reason. I didn't know that playing the game on hard added exfiltration objectives. I just started Mission 3, and I'm kicking myself for not playing this game sooner because everything about it so far is absolutely incredible. I can't wait to also delve into 2/3/Fan Missions/The Dark Mod.

If there's one thing to envy in videogames is someone who is just playing Thief for the first time. Enjoy it and despair that in 20 years no other game has even come close.

circ

Arcane
I gavve up on DAO. I modded it up. Man, it takes a lotta mods just for basics. I went through mage tower - SKIPPING FADE FUCK U. Ran around did some DLC shit, suddenly it started crashing. I was doing some shit quest in Denerim and it crashed every 2 minutes.

Dude. You should limit it to one core.

I GOT A BETTER IDEA. YOU KNOW WHAT. FUCK THIS.

For some reason BioWare's mid 2000 output all wants to fuck itself up with even remotely more modern hardware. Huh.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Okami was a nice game but I remember it had interminable tutorials and annoying gibberish voices all the time. I never managed to finish it back when I played it on the ps2.

I thought the gibberish voices were fine, suited the world well.

Did they allow you to fast-forward dialogue in the HD remake?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jagged Alliance 2 1.13 patch but with the Wild-Fire maps. I'm getting my ass handed to me of course, but it's really fun to play JA2 with new maps.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom