Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh: Feudal Era Dark Souls

Suicidal

Arcane
I'm using medium armor, but I don't feel like I'm too squishy - as I said everything else does manageable damage. It's just these 3 inconspicuous moves I'm butthurt about. Why can I survive Maria's entire sword combo with like 10% health but her fucking boot gives me an instant game over? It's pretty silly.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Just managed to finish a 145 twilight mission as a 101 lvl character. Lots of rage moments, but the XP and gear was well worth it!

Dual swords is tons of fun and low stance makes it very VERY easy to apply Discord. Almost all my gear is lvl 150, which I assume is the cap for regular NG. I'm thinking of doing some reforging now. What's the difference between paying with gold and paying with that stone you buy from the tea guy? Stone = better odds?

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I'm trying to kill that DLC boss with nothing but dual wooden swords for the achievement. It sucks, but I love stuff like this (I beat the other boss with nothing but tonfa's despite not in anyway being spec'd for tonfas. The DLC's had been absurdly easy up to that point, so this was totally fun to be forced to strategize with the resources I had and use magic buffs I'd never tried before).

Anyhow, from watching youtube, it seems the quickest way to beat him is via parry, but try as I might, I can't get good at parrying. The parry system makes total sense, in that it's not some arbitrary rhythm system that you have to push at the same time every time to execute. Rather, when you push the parry button, you will swipe your sword in front of you. For parry to work, it has to be timed just so your sword touches the enemy's sword exactly when it's about to land. This makes visual sense, but is a bitch to time for this boss as he has a bunch of different moves of varying speeds. On top of this, the parry moves themselves each have slightly different timing.

I watched this video, which was very helpful, but still have trouble with it. I can maybe successfully parry 1 in 5 times:

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I'm using medium armor, but I don't feel like I'm too squishy - as I said everything else does manageable damage. It's just these 3 inconspicuous moves I'm butthurt about. Why can I survive Maria's entire sword combo with like 10% health but her fucking boot gives me an instant game over? It's pretty silly.

If you are open to easy mode, respec to ninjitsu. I literally killed her in 5 seconds. Not exaggerating. I just threw a ton of kunai into her face and she stun locked and died. All of the human DLC bosses died instantly to throwables. The only one that was any trouble was scorpion dude, who requires dodging as he can't be stun locked.

Suicidal

Arcane

If you are open to easy mode, respec to ninjitsu. I literally killed her in 5 seconds. Not exaggerating. I just threw a ton of kunai into her face and she stun locked and died. All of the human DLC bosses died instantly to throwables. The only one that was any trouble was scorpion dude, who requires dodging as he can't be stun locked.

Nah I prefer sticking with builds I start with.

Also funny how during one of my attempts my armor leveled up and and after that I could survive the grab attack with 6 health. Still think it's dumb that it does much more damage than any other move she has.

Anyhow, from watching youtube, it seems the quickest way to beat him is via parry, but try as I might, I can't get good at parrying. The parry system makes total sense, in that it's not some arbitrary rhythm system that you have to push at the same time every time to execute. Rather, when you push the parry button, you will swipe your sword in front of you. For parry to work, it has to be timed just so your sword touches the enemy's sword exactly when it's about to land. This makes visual sense, but is a bitch to time for this boss as he has a bunch of different moves of varying speeds. On top of this, the parry moves themselves each have slightly different timing.

I watched this video, which was very helpful, but still have trouble with it. I can maybe successfully parry 1 in 5 times:
The 2 dojo swordmasters' gear can make different types of parries easier(I use just one piece of the first swordmaster's gear together with an amulet that reduces any set bonus requirements). I use the katana block-button parry that isn't featured in that video since unlike the other parries it will always knock down your opponent. You can pretty much stand your ground during the okatsu+hanzo fight that way, also frees up the block+light attack and block+heavy attack button combos for other techniques.

Last edited:

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
So I just
defeated the multi-headed dick and finished the game. Ending is gay as fuck. William doesn't get to fuck Tokugawa's daughter (because japz love le blue ballz) and Oda Nobunaga just decides to chill and let someone else live HIS dream. K. Well, at least my spirit waifu is safe (and she says she lives because I BELIEVE in her. Well, at least the spirit cat is alive! And he is hanzo's guardian? Ok... :roll:

Anyway, fun fact: I only learned about inheritances when I was already at
Nobonaga's
doorstep. FUCK. FUCK FUCK. What if I got a weapon with an inheritable "Turns Skill into damage" and sold it!!!?!?!?!? :negative:

Hyperion

Arcane
D_X Twisting Spear is FILTHY. Spearfall is another good one, especially if you get it on the right set weapon. With the -1 set bonus you can get like 55% damage.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
HOLY SHIT, the post game content is YUGE.

EDIT: So...what's a STRONK armor set to replace my Red Demon? I wanna go back to either medium armor or try heavy armor.

EDIT 2: Does Anjin finally get a waifu in the DLC or do I have to go back to Witcher 3 for my waifu needs? =/

Last edited:

Hyperion

Arcane
Mix of Tatenashi and Master Swordsman for a Dual Swordsman build. Look for Revenants with Dual Swords, most of them have it since it's extremely good and thus common.

No waifu for Sir Anjin, unfortunately. Okatsu wasn't even present in the DLCs because the Voice Actress became pregnant and couldn't travel to the studio to record her lines. Can always go to the Hidden Teahouse and buy Female skins. The Female Onmyo Mage is quite popular, since she has those MC Hammer pants with the sides cutaway, and quite obvious missing pantylines.

cruel

Cipher
I've finally finished the main game. Very disappointing final fight with mister K, fight after also meh, but really liked the last mission and the boss. Overall 121h spent on this.

The only boss I didn't beat properly (used Sloth) was Ishida, so I'm pretty proud of myself. The one that made me rage the most was Umi Bozu - OHKO laser and falling into water. Best ones - probably Yuki Onna and Saika.

But, I've got curious and started the first DLC. The game itself is not hard, but the first boss... I don't remember being wrecked so much by anybody in this game. The combination of speed and range kills me almost instantly, also he hits so hard for my light armor build. Maybe just a bad day, but first impressions (5+ tries) are really bad on this one.

cruel

Cipher
Already got some divine weapons from Revenants, but missing the armor. Maybe should focus on that, sometimes I'm really dying too fast, even for light armor standards. One hit from first DLC Boss takes 90% of my health, so a little bit too much. Will try to learn his moves.

On the other side - almost instantly after finishing the main game, I created another character and started playing from the beginning, totally differently (axe + heavy armor, for fun). This happened to me for the second time in any game, and the first one was Dark Souls 1 - so this speaks nicely of Nioh. Game has its flaws, but the core gameplay can be addicting.

Plus, it's so fun to beat Hino Enma in 2 tries, compared to what I experienced when fighting her for the first time.

jungl

Augur
game was fun did all the dlc story content. favorite move was the light style nodachi skill where you jump on sword and gives you invincibility frames and rapes non boss enemies. Don't care about the post game rpg numbers grind got other games to play.

cruel

Cipher
Finally was able to beat Centipede Guy. I just forgot that having 50 magic gives me some options, other than just slashing him - combination of sloth / weakness / steel / protection was enough. With few more tries, he wasn't even that hard - not so good when you keep close range to him, quite predictable with movements, etc.

Went and tried Abyss for the first time, finished 2 zones, then died in 3rd one (no Guardian Spirit present for some reason, I didn't die before) and game over, 0.5 million amrita lost. Well, the good part is that I don't need to handle Nue for n-th time.

What I'm not getting with Divine items? I have purple level 150 armor and comparing it with 150 divine, those are almost the same. What I'm missing here? Potential upgrades for divines (+1, +2, etc)?

What's very funny is that I'm more urged now to continue another heavy armor / axe playthrough than go through DLCs. For some reason, it's pretty fun with the Axe. High stance attack destroys Yokai completely, mid stance gives nice balance, low stance for faster enemies, plus fun spin after enemy gets up. Also it's so nice to observe those huge Ki drains from strong attacks with axe.

I'm already thinking about 3rd playthrough, this time full ninja mode with kusa ;d

Btw, can somebody explain to me what exactly happened here, after 0:50?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iBKZXmWYOw

cruel

Cipher
I really wish this game had more balanced boss fights. Fight with Date Masamune - first phase, piss easy. Dodge, get few hits, dodge back. Not even exciting. Keeps going on until he drops to 50% health. Then: ahhaha OHKO YOU DIE. It's soooo not fun. I know, I could quit, spent hours farming better gear, but it's not the point. In my whole Souls career, I never remember feeling the bosses being so cheap. All harder ones - Manus, O&S, Twin Princes, Pontiff, Friede, Gael, Logarius, Ludwig, Orphan - I didn't even think for a moment about getting some help for them, beat them all single, didn't feel cheap at any point. Date Masamune - after less than 10 tries I just summoned somebody and don't even regret it. I'm not sure which exact factor caused this. but nvm.

Early tries with Maria look similar, but we'll see.

Suicidal

Arcane
I really wish this game had more balanced boss fights. Fight with Date Masamune - first phase, piss easy. Dodge, get few hits, dodge back. Not even exciting. Keeps going on until he drops to 50% health. Then: ahhaha OHKO YOU DIE. It's soooo not fun. I know, I could quit, spent hours farming better gear, but it's not the point. In my whole Souls career, I never remember feeling the bosses being so cheap. All harder ones - Manus, O&S, Twin Princes, Pontiff, Friede, Gael, Logarius, Ludwig, Orphan - I didn't even think for a moment about getting some help for them, beat them all single, didn't feel cheap at any point. Date Masamune - after less than 10 tries I just summoned somebody and don't even regret it. I'm not sure which exact factor caused this. but nvm.

Early tries with Maria look similar, but we'll see.

Yeah I also had this problem in the 1st DLC, which made the bosses feel a little bit cheap, but so far I haven't encountered a single boss with oneshot attacks in the second and third DLC so you have that to look forward to.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Date Masamune is a great fight. Just remember the DLC is really more balanced for someone who's also already cleared Way of the Strong vanilla levels, which is dumb but whatever.

Suicidal

Arcane
Finally finished all the DLC, except for the optional missions in the final one that unlock after you beat the game because they're pretty fucking absurd and I don't think I can do them without grinding. For some reason the 3rd DLC was really hard for me in general, maybe I was underleveled but fuck if I know, the mission levels don't mean anything in this game anyway.

I'm curious - what were your favorite/hardest/easiest bosses, guys? Don't count Derrick, because that's not really a boss, but a cutscene that lets you press some buttons in between, and all of those challenge "now try fighting two at the same time" bosses, which are designed to be the hardest fights in the game.

Here's mine:

Easiest:

Saika - holding block just makes you invulnerable in that fight. His melee sucks and his gun doesn't do enough stamina damage to ever break your block. Also it's pretty silly how you can block explosions from his bombs. I think the fight would have actually been challenging if you couldn't.

Giant Toad - for some reason every streamer/youtuber that I saw play this game struggled with this boss and then I noticed why - everyone tries to dodge that move where he jumps and slams his spear into the ground. It has a weird hitbox and hits you even if you think it won't. But if you block it you avoid all damage and have enough time to recover stamina while he recovers after the attack. Other than that I just found it easy to constantly get behind him, do a bunch of damage, block his downward thrust, repeat.

Vampire bitch - another boss everyone struggles with but I never died to in any of the encounters. Maybe it's because I've seen this boss before playing the game myself so I fought very cautiously because I knew that getting hit means death + I knew about the anti-paralysis items.

Otani (floating half-demon guy) - he has very few attack patters, only one dangerous move that can be blocked and in his powerup state his shockwave spam can be dodged easily by sprinting/dodging to the side.

Hardest (main game):

Shima - doesn't stagger, does a lot of damage and has good reach, has a lot of different moves (he fights like a fighting game character, even has multiple grab attacks, leg sweeps, etc.). And in his powerup state he has that fucking oneshot attack (the one when he lifts you into the air) that has the same almost instantaneous windup animation like his leg sweep + getting hit by even one attack can be lethal because he instantly applies the lightning debuff that slows you down. Hardest non-DLC boss for me.

Tachibana (2nd encounter) - with how early you fight him, I still was getting used to the combat. He's pretty fast and aggressive and some of his attacks oneshot. Very hard to beat while you're still a noob. I actually had an easier time in the optional mission where you fight him and Honda at the same time because I've learned the game pretty well by then.

Mitsunari - he's like a fighting game player that almost exclusively spams ranged attacks. Also has those annoying grabs that happen very fast and he uses them at range.

Hardest (DLC and overall):

Onmoraki - this is like a Dark Souls dragon boss on steroids and crack and one of two story bosses where I just went all out and used everything I had - living weapon, those special healing consumables, etc. I just wanted it to be over. He's fast, attacks pretty much all the fucking time and leaves barely any time to close in and attack him yourself. Also some of his moves always hit me when I was sure I was out of range. His wing attacks don't look that long but actually cover half the arena. His poison breath also looks shorter than it really is for some reason. Getting hit by anything twice is death and getting hit by most of his attacks applies that annoying wind debuff which reduced the damage to like 100 per hit, which barely moved his lifebar when I attacked. Also, since I was using a short weapon, hitting that horn on his head was very difficult. It was easy with the bow but then I ran out of arrows, so I had to wait for him to use his ground charge move, dodge in low stance, start running to him asap, switch to high stance while running (if I dodged the charge in high stance I couldn't make it in time) and perform a dash attack on his head. 2 out of 3 times it would fail, but occasionally I could hit his horn, which let me do some much-needed free damage.

Hideyori - the second story boss I used all my shit to beat. The main problem was that he's too fucking fat. Once I got his patterns down the first phase is easy - I just spammed that Ki shockwave move over and over, drained his stamina, performed an execution and then that sheathed sword lunge attack while he was down. Repeat that several times and phase 2 starts. Now draining stamina no longer worked, so since he doesn't stagger at all, all I could do is dodge or block his attack, do a few quick slashes and run away because if I didn't I would die. My attacks did so little damage to him that it took me 10-15 minutes to beat phase 2 in my successful attempt. Also annoying that his dual swords have 2 different elements, so if I took 1-2 hits from him I'd get afflicted with confusion and lightning, which usually lead to death because I couldn't dodge properly with this shit on me.

Maria - mostly because of the absurd damage her nearly instantaneous grab attack did to me. She did become much easier once I realized the shockwave she shoots in 2nd phase is physical and thus could be blocked at zero risk.

Mysterious Samurai a.k.a totally not Shima - my personal hardest boss from the main game is back, now with two guardian spirits and a new moveset (including a lightning strike that comes out of nowhere and hits me for 80% of my health when I'm sure I'm about to win). Still doesn't stagger, still kills me in 2 hits. I also really liked the circumstances surrounding this fight - he just shows up in a side mission with no warning, saying nothing and just attacks you. The game also never explicitly states that it's Shima (even though it's fucking obvious) and he uses Mitsunari's spirit and the same sad music that played when you fought Mitsunari plays in this fight. Dude launched a suicide attack to get revenge for his lord, feelsbadman. One of my favorite bosses in the game.

Special mention:

Hayabusa optional ninja boss that appears after you complete all the DLCs - I tried for a bit but I don't think I can beat him without grinding. He moves and attacks twice faster than me and kills me in two hits. Sometimes in one. And has around as much hp as Hideyori. This is an easter egg reference to Ninja Gaiden, right? Never played those games but I know that the protagonist is called Hayabusa. Well this boss certainly feels like he came from a different game, he's just so much faster than anything else you encounter.

Kelley's Clones - not really a boss, but fuck them. One of the most infuriating fights in the game.

Also the giant sea blob wins the most annoying boss trophy just because of how many times I fell in the water while trying to attack him. In general the giant monster bosses in Nioh sucked massive dick. The serpent final boss was pretty cool, but still worse than many human and medium-sized demon bosses.

^You can kill Hayabusa as soon as you meet him, easy strategy is just to run to the sides until he launches a sprinting/jumping attack that misses you, then you can get 2-3 hits in and start running again.

Suicidal

Arcane
^You can kill Hayabusa as soon as you meet him, easy strategy is just to run to the sides until he launches a sprinting/jumping attack that misses you, then you can get 2-3 hits in and start running again.

I tried that and got him to like 75%. It works but is very slow and still risky because it's possible to die because of bad timing. While he was recovering after a dash attack I ran up and started attacking, did 2 hits, was just about to jump back and got oneshoted by his quick combo. I'm not sure I'm up for another 20 minute fight like with Hideyori, except one where it's much easier to die.

Emmanuel2

Savant
I'm curious - what were your favorite/hardest/easiest bosses, guys?

Hardest: Hayabusa, I thought I was underfarmed too until I got down the just guard timing for him, most of his attacks except for the grabs obviously can be parried. Next one would be permanent LW Date Masamune or Ishida in Abyss.

Easiest: Marobashi bosses, I set them to farm mode on each and every difficulty after Way of the Strong due to how easy they are and without trap/LW cheese as that just makes the run longer. Mysterious Samurai also due to how good Katana is against non-LW human enemies.

Favorites: Maria and Ishida.

Mysterious Samurai

It's Sasaki Kojiro.

Suicidal

Arcane
Well I tryharded for a bit and actually beat Hayabusa. Using the bow helped alot - every once in a while I shot him in the head while he was recovering from his long range chain attack that pulls you to him if it hits, which caused him to fall over and I could perform an execution for some extra damage. Now I can definitely say that I've beaten the game (except for the other bonus missions like fighting Hideyori + Nine tailed Fox at the same time).

Mysterious Samurai

It's Sasaki Kojiro.

Oh I forgot about that one. So that means there are two bosses in the game that are called mysterious samurai, how weird.

I'm talking about this one, which is definitely Shima in "disguise":

maxresdefault.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom