Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Long Live Wizardry! (And The All-New Games By Ex-Wizardry Developers) - UPDATED: MARCH/07/2016

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
But did you buy it?

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Hello everyone.

Currently trying to overcome the remake of Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei (1987) for SNES (Kyūyaku Megami Tensei, 1995), actually enjoying it, can't believe the original was actually released for NES (too bad I wasn't able to get this game when NES was actual for me), I mean, games of such complexity are not nearly common on the platform. And I want to ask you, those who are way more competent at this series than me, is it worth continuing my walkthrough, or it would be better to switch to another Megami Tensei game, maybe better in quality and more rich in content (in case I don't care about the story too much)? I'm not an experienced player of the genre in general, completed only Wizardry 8 (yet it is different to classical dungeon crawlers in some ways).

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Hello everyone.

Currently trying to overcome the remake of Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei (1987) for SNES (Kyūyaku Megami Tensei, 1995), actually enjoying it, can't believe the original was actually released for NES (too bad I wasn't able to get this game when NES was actual for me), I mean, games of such complexity are not nearly common on the platform. And I want to ask you, those who are way more competent at this series than me, is it worth continuing my walkthrough, or it would be better to switch to another Megami Tensei game, maybe better in quality and more rich in content (in case I don't care about the story too much)? I'm not an experienced player of the genre in general, completed only Wizardry 8 (yet it is different to classical dungeon crawlers in some ways).

I think you should try SMT4 apocalypse for the 3DS. If you don't have one, SMT3: nocturne is a masterpiece, but harder for a newcomer.

If you want a SMT game closer to a blobber you can try SMT: strange journey for the DS in the desmume emulator.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Tried SMT: Strange Journey (DS) today, and so far the game leaves mixed feelings, to say the least, one of the depressing things is the daunting amount of text and dialogues, for they do not seem meaningful at all, even skipping all of them at 4X emulation speed took ~10 minutes of time, and I just wanted to see how the game plays. The controls and interface are OK, more convenient to use than those in the DDS and SMT games for SNES. What I utterly dislike is that you don't seem to be able to distribute skill points manually, and by which rules they are assigned to each attribute is also unclear (maybe I really should read the in-game documentation to figure out how everything works...). The emulation itself runs great indeed, using desmume as you suggested.

At this point I feel a bit disappointed I must admit (especially after DDS 1 and SMT 1 I've had much fun playing previously), but we'll see.

Last edited:

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Allright I've looked through the thread and I can see there are some dungeon crawler games which have seemingly been praised more than others:

- Elminage Gothic

- Wizardry V

- Wizardry Empire 2

So, which one would you suggest to someone who never played dungeon crawlers of this kind? As far as I can tell, all the three games follow pretty much the same formula of gameplay, have pretty much the same set of mechanics etc (sampled a tiny bit of all the three), so which one I choose really doesn't matter from perspective of getting wholesome dungeon-crawling experience, yet there may be some points that inexperienced dungeon crawler players as me is not knowledgeable enough to consider, so I ask you hardcore dungeon crawler fans to help me decide.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Well I played Wizardry 1 (and 5, too) the other day as you suggested, and honestly I don't get what you guys find interesting in this type of games (I mean Wiz 1-5). It's kind of captivating to a degree (the need to draw maps for the levels is among the best aspects of Wizardry 1; the game is also pretty hardcore where you should think thrice before engaging in a battle or not using a consumable item or spell in order to do away with the unknown and maybe terribly dangerous enemies as quickly as possible), but at this point I am really not sure why anyone would think it's better than Wizardry 6-7, to say nothing of 8 (which IMO is superior in every way except maybe design of some locations, yet even those were varied at least, as compared to the drab dungeon layouts from Wiz 1). The type of gameflow where you repeatedly step into the dungeon for the sake of looting and battling and then return back to restore health and buy items gets repetitive and boring very quickly, and you can't even raise attributes even pick spells yourself, you just gain them automatically having no control over your characters' progression (which instantly dropps fun from levelling by approximately 70%), I just can't understand why someone says Wiz 1-5 were the pinnacle of the RPG genre and Wizardry 8 can't even compare to them.

Last edited:

TigerKnee

Arcane
"You guys?"

I think it's really only one person who's a pre-6 enthusiast - most people here prefer 6-8.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
http://frd.li/d4b8ba12388aec01771dfac215c9c3dc

Link to my last-updated English Translation of Wizardry Empire 1: The Ancient Princess FOR WINDOWS PC, i repeat: link is for a roughly 60% complete English Translation of the WINDOWS PC port of WIZ EMPIRE 1 iso.

Things that are fully in english:

- ALL GAME ITEMS (Weapons/armor pieces/etc). THIS IS VERY, VERY IMPORTANT!

- ALL Magic spells are in english and follow traditional Wizardry 1-5 naming conventions.

- All (ok, around 90%) of ENEMIES' names and information (yes, the BESTIARY stuff) is in English.

- Around 80% of the game's entire Item AND Enemy encyclopedia/bestiary information is in English. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT! In english language but incredibly rough, as the following was done BEFORE I received a fully Jap-to-English translation of the game's NPC Dialog and Conversation Script (which I'm currently implementing):

- Around 70% of the NPC dialog/conversations, and more importantly for actual dungeon diving, all of the first 4 floors of the 1st dungeon's: Signposts, Wall Plaques and other misc. text meant to guide the player in ENGLISH.

- TL;DR around 50-60% of the total japanese-language text IN THE FIRST DUNGEON (which is HUGE and is as long, or longer, than say the entirety of Wizardry 1's dungeon levels put together) are in English, be it the dungeon NPCs found in each level's dialog (very rough, pre-translated script from pro-translator which I'm working with now), the "event text" such as sign posts, plaques, and other misc., and...

- Very, very rough translations using my (EXTREMELY LIMITED AND PROBABLY COMPLETELY EMBARRASSING anime-knowledge level of Jap language) of the NPC Dialog INSIDE THE TOWN, i.e. NOT the dungeon NPCs:

- Speaking specifically about the initial "greeting" dialog texts thrown at you from the Town shops, the temple, etc, don't expect much beyond translated greetings BUT I did fully translate the game's ITEM TRADING SYSTEM dialog nodes so you can fully engage in Wiz Empire's awesome "Item Trading Gambling Game" found inside the Adventurer's Tavern in WizEmp1... careful or you might lose a good item if you get crazy "gambling" items trying to score unique!

- Qwinn

Guys, I've humbly asked Richard to take over this project for me as my life stuff (moving to US in February due to Hurrican Maria without any hyperbole whatsoever having completely set back Puerto Rico for at least 15 years)... so... well, TL;DR this shit might actually get finished someday now if he actually decided to take!

Wee!

Puck Man

Novice
Didn't know where to post so I figured I'd try here..
I need a PSX2PSP eboot of Wizardry Dimguil. Can anyone help with this? The problem is that this game is a multi track bin. That means you can't just convert it to an iso. I've tried mounting it, then converting to a single bin/cue but always comes out wrong. Can anyone help?

Dorarnae

Arbiter
slowly playing wizardry 6. finished the pyramid, class changed my whole party and almost back to lvl 10, will probably class change again soon for a better setup.
I enjoy the game a bit more now I know how things work but I still prefer first five game(well except maybe 4 but will have to redo that one someday).

Puck Man

Novice
Cool Dorarnae! I haven't played 6 yet. I was actually watching some gameplay of 6 and 7 earlier today to see how interested in them I am.
I'm playing Dimguil now and it's really solid. (I see you beat it a year or two ago already!) It seems like a really good mix of all that is good from the earlier games.

One thing I really miss from Elminage is being able to see all the item data whlie in game simply by looking at the item in possession. Like in Wiz 1-3 you have to quit the game then go to the item data book. And even then I don't think it tells you how much damage the weapons do... so it's still a guessing game. Even in Dimguil you have to pass it to your bishop so he can look at the stats.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
I think Wizardry 6 and 7 would be VERY good if they had a proper remake(kinda like Wiz 1-3 and 5).

btw, is it me or the forum is all mess up lately?

Puck Man

Novice
I think the forum is fine from what I've seen. But I'm not too active lately.
Dorarnae do you know how to get cards in Dimguil? Or anything about the card battles?

Dorarnae

Arbiter
I think the forum is fine from what I've seen. But I'm not too active lately.
Dorarnae do you know how to get cards in Dimguil? Or anything about the card battles?

I had a hard time to log on and browse/reply the forum....seems ok now.

I havent tried the card game in dimguil.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
I finished Wizardry 6 a few days ago. not bad once you understand how everything works. just a bit disapointed that once you reach a certain point, you can't backtrack. with a proper remake, the game would be great. I still prefer wiz 1 to 5 though, having a town and more than one party...

Hengki Kusuma Adi

Bought Wizrogue - Labyrinth of Wizardry Android version while was on sale (90% i think) in a month ago. This port was just basically based on its original JP version that was ceased its service years ago. When i first playing through the game, i noticed in both Android and PC the only differences here in Android port the spell names were looking casual (following Dark Savant entries or Dungeons & Dragons) while the PC first localized version are all classic (Wizardry 1-5 for example) that i've seen in Dorarnae playing Wizrogue (PC) in YouTube. To think of it, the original JP only is similiar to F2P games (don't know if there's no offline mode), The WizJewels is pretty much likely as virtual currency basically you spend lot of real money for this game you get more WizJewels instantly depending on what you want to get more the high prices value you pick other than requiring from in-game like rewards or something else, there are also limited-time banner (or maybe including limited-time events too?), while the localized version you just simply put ‎$11.99 (normal price) to play the game (like normal games), there is no microtransaction for WizJewels (making it much harder to farm other than spending money for WJ quickly) and there's no limited stuff from JP version does too i think. By the way, i made brief gameplay video for the Android version made by me because the only way i can play it, current gaming computers which is i don't currently own it due to expensive cost at this moment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dorarnae

Arbiter
the game had some good idea but could of been way better...was a bit disapointed with the character loto, there aren't really any character you want in there, the ability doesn't make a huge difference and the story character are good enough overall....
I wonder if the android version has the same bug to duplicate that currency....

Dorarnae

Arbiter
やれやれ. I find it a bit funny considering it was on my old channel for quite a long time and then on this one for more than two years...oh well.

strike_zpsh90krg5w.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom