Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Eh I think it's a standard sale, not much different than autumn sale or every big sale this year.
Which genius put two colons in a single title tho :rpgcodex:
8Zilzb1.png

Been :love:Prey so far.

Atomkilla

Arcane
Planning on buying Darkest Dungeon. It's been a while since I've tried it and I'd only played vanilla - should I get the DLCs too?

Humppaleka

Cipher
Get the drakensang games if you haven't already.
Although as a disclaimer the first one is pretty boring although it does teach you to use the mechanics. Just finished it and will move on to River of Time at some point, which I hear is vastly superior. We'll see.

razvedchiki

Erudite
if you are after EPIC storyline with EPIC AAA cinematics,then yes its boring.
if you are like me and like party based crpgs that are based on an existing ruleset you will appreciate what the game has to offer.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
if you are after EPIC storyline with EPIC AAA cinematics,then yes its boring.
if you are like me and like party based crpgs that are based on an existing ruleset you will appreciate what the game has to offer.

I like TDE, even the setting which isn't all high-fantasy, but Drakensang is rather boring and often mundane even for Aventurian standards.

Humppaleka

Cipher
Well the storyline was the generic EPIC crap so I don't see your point. You are the hero that rose from humble origins, the one to save the world yadayada.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Got a new laptop so I made quite a few purchases this time around.

Corpse Party
Have always been interested in this one, and finally the price was right. However, it's like that thing aweigh was talking about with shitty translations. The tone is all over the place, even just in the intro to Chapter 1. You'll have one character say something that sounds very natural, followed by two characters talking like aliens who studied US pop culture or something to approximate human language. I know for a fact this was translated by an American who is fluent in Japanese (since I know him from another board), so I cannot even blame it on a Japanese person doing it, or machine translation, or outsourcing to Indians or whatever.
Luckily you can switch between Japanese and English (though doing so requires a reinstall).

Riven
Now that SCUMMVM supports Myst and this, it's the perfect time to spend the dollar or whatever it cost for this. Seems to work great so far.

Far Cry Primal
Modern Far Cry series is my popamole guilty pleasure. Don't care what anyone says! Far Cry 3/4 (they are basically the same game) is 100x times the game that Fallout 4 tries to be. It's consolized popamole, but the UI makes actual sense, crafting/leveling makes sense and gets you stuff that really does improve your abilities, and the base assaults are pretty fun in how you can go in guns blazing, sneak around, or even take advantage of wildlife to kill everyone for you. Shame you need to deal with uplay.

Death Road to Canada
Bought on a whim, played for 15 mins and had a blast, but am now considering refunding it because I know I will never play it again.

Endless Space 2
Why did I buy this haha. I liked Endless Legend, but Endless Space bored the hell out of me. The minute I started the tutorial in ES2 and it started going on about all the difference resources, my eyes glazed over and I quit to desktop. I just can't get into 4X games in space.

Wrestling Revolution 3D
Got this instead of Fire Pro. I was pysched to see Fire Pro get out of early access, but with no single player mode it seemed to me that the developers just arbitrarily decided they had had enough and just threw it out there on the store. I LOVE the Fire Pro series, but multiplayer is just not enough to keep me interested.
Wrestling Revolution 3D is no Fire Pro, but it's quirky and filled to the brim with crazy stuff to do. I really liked MDickie's previous wrestling games, so this is a lot of fun.

Dishonored 2
3030 Deathwar Redux
Hallow Knight
Styx: Shards of Darkness
ARMA Gold Edition

Got these on a whim/because they were cheap enough, have put no time into them whatsoever.

Baldur's Gate Siege of Dragonspear
:M

Last edited:

Latelistener

Arcane
I like this game, but I think ruleset is the real problem. They just sort of put it all in there, and forgot to make it useful. Some of the skills like Etiquette are completely useless.
I heard River of Time is an improvement, but haven't played it yet.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Oh man, sorry to hear that. I have hours and hours in this. The tone is just so perfect.
I liked the concept, it plays well, and the dialog etc. is hilarious (I was a fan of their Hook games on IOS), but I guess it's just not my kind of game, sadly.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Planning on buying Darkest Dungeon. It's been a while since I've tried it and I'd only played vanilla - should I get the DLCs too?
Yes because basic game had some balance* changes made with patched specifically for game with DLC in mind and without Crimson Court it might be harder time (like it was ever easy...) to play without it.

*most people will shrug and say there is no balance, just heavy RNG fest of drunken RNGod.

Got a new laptop so I made quite a few purchases this time around.
Death Road to Canada
Bought on a whim, played for 15 mins and had a blast, but am now considering refunding it because I know I will never play it again.
funny, looks like indie 2d pixel diarrhea attempt on Dead Rising.

From title alone I though it would be some post apo game set in this country and beside The Sum mod for Fallout Tactics (which is neither tactical or anything remotely FTish) I don't remember anything like this, I mean - post apo in other countries, likely made by non-kwan devs... and no, STALKER does not count.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
New game from the developer of Paper Sorcerer is Cloud Sword simulator. Bold Blade, a pixel art action RPG where your sword getting bigger and BIGGER:

BB_spinsword_smaller.png

:negative:

Dust and Salt, a turn-based tactical RPG with text-based narrative and overworld set in low-fantasy medieval setting. Oh, and also it has characters with legs:

ss_41fc2de2fda33c0d01757413e21fc2f92f252177.600x338.jpg

ss_101ed033e6ce1cda40cd32946ba47dc8c43fd4ee.600x338.jpg

Dust and Salt is a text-based narrative adventure with a pinch of turn-based tactical battles which has you as the main hero leading your troops in a gritty, low-power, medieval fantasy world.

When his father is murdered and his village burned to the ground, a young warrior swears vengeance. He has to choose between force or diplomacy to forge new alliances and subdue his enemies. Will he get rid of the oppressors of this world or become an oppressor himself?

The game consists of a story text, a world map, and a tactical combat layer. On the world map you can choose to travel to different locations. The story text builds around the constant choices you make. Once you engage in battle the game will switch to a tactical map where the actual fighting takes place as turn-based combat. Enjoy the vivid writings by the quill of the author Sycamore Bright.

Steam_Features_Banner_-_Features.png

• Story is king. Rich, non-linear story that reminds of D&D with a "flair of battle". We’d describe it as a choose-your-own-adventure book that meets an RPG.
  • Tactical combats. This is not checkers, this is a grown-up combat simulation. Send your light-armored infantry, the Nameless Wolves, through the woods into the back of the enemy while your armored, hammer-wielding Nameless Bears stall the enemy attack.
  • Decisions matter. The narrative branches based on your choices. Your actions define and shape the world you experience.
  • Character development. Are your decisions black, white or gray? Will they lead to a better future for the Sin Lands or will you turn into a usurper?
  • Memorable personalities. Stand up to the cunning Lords of the Sin Lands in well-written interactive dialogues.
  • Art that gives more life to the whole story. Zoom-in on the world map and experience the detail of the artistic work.
  • You don’t pick abstract skills. Instead the choices you make at the beginning of the game define what abilities your character will learn.
  • Featuring a gorgeous Nordic soundtrack by acclaimed artist Mike Olsen a.k.a. Danheim.

Latelistener

Arcane
developer of Paper
He still has to fix Paper Sorcerer. The goddamn chess puzzle isn't even working since the release.
He tried to fix this with several updates, but failed miserably, and the last update even added new bugs.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Checking the steam new game releases page just now I'm struck with how similar steam has become to all those flash game websites lol
So much fucking low quality trash, even partially or untranslated, obvious shovelware...

And in between that I ran across:

Army Men 1, 2, and the RTS
Hidden and Dangerous 1&2
And... Evolva lol

Just a heads-up for whoever liked those enough back in the day to buy them on steam now I guess.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Oxygen Not Included
Slay the Spire
a Steamlink
Banished

Almost bought Oxenfree until I realized I already had it on GOG. There's a pretty interesting TBS called Post Human W.A.R. I'm ogling as well.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Code:
Don't look at the Steam Awards results.

Shit, I looked at the Steam Awards results.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
First year I didn't buy a thing. I just grab stuff in Humble Monthlies now. Considered the Viking DLC for Warband but fuck those jizzbags, let them release Warband 2 if they want my money.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I got Rain World (a game that received almost no attention and is Difficult™, but is quite unique and interesting); all of the DLC for Endless Legend (which I haven't played since it released; played half a game the other day to re-familiarize myself); Opus Magnum, yet another puzzle mastahpeece from Zachtronics (which was only 10% off, but I love puzzle games); and I bought Subnautica for a friend for Crimbo.

Easily my least-spendy Steam sale of all time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom