Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 180 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 208 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I started an MM6 party in this MM6-7-8Extension game: Paladin, Archer, Cleric, 2xSorcerer. But only the Archer can learn disarm trap on only expert level. That's an epic fail, I am afraid.
Should I start an MM8 party instead or start a single character and recruit NPCs? In the training building of New Sorpigal you can recruit an NPC of random class.
Disarm traps is not that big of a deal. Just take the damage.

Sinatar

Arbiter
I started an MM6 party in this MM6-7-8Extension game: Paladin, Archer, Cleric, 2xSorcerer. But only the Archer can learn disarm trap on only expert level. That's an epic fail, I am afraid.
Should I start an MM8 party instead or start a single character and recruit NPCs? In the training building of New Sorpigal you can recruit an NPC of random class.

Just use the telekinesis spell to trigger traps, you've certainly got enough spellcasters that can cast it.

Punch

aaaaaa
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Last year I completed Might and Magic III on my Turbografx-CD (yes even that console got a port of it) and aside from the overall slugishness of the soft rendered dungeons (on the console version of course) I found it pretty enjoyable and engrossing. How does the fourth game compare to the third one? Should I play 4 separately from 5 or do Worlds of Xeen?

Here's a video of me beating the game (and probably the only video on youtube for this version's ending). I enjoyed the new soundtrack more than the PC one to be honest.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
If you want to play Might and Magic 4 and 5 with more of a challenge, play them individually. It's way too easy to level up and load up on gear when you have twice the amount of low level dungeons to go through using the same party members. By the time you clear the first few dungeons on each side of Xeen, your characters will already be too powerful for the mid-tier dungeons.

However, I feel that Worlds of Xeen gives you a more complete experience, and I really love the special ending to the combined games. Because of that, I would recommend playing Worlds of Xeen over playing them individually.

Yeah, play WoX together. It's not as though IV or V is really challenging even if you play them individually. Most of V's content is also higher level that IV's anyways, so in all likelihood, for a first time playthrough, you will have only completed maybe 1/4 of V by the time you finish IV.

It's perfectly normal to finish all of 4's areas (minus the locked ones) before going into 5. Only the first town and starting area becomes a cakewalk, since they are intended to level a character all the way 1->20.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It's perfectly normal to finish all of 4's areas (minus the locked ones) before going into 5. Only the first town and starting area becomes a cakewalk, since they are intended to level a character all the way 1->20.
I second that...unless you chose to play starting in the dark side. Also MM games were never about balance,in any game you can become a beast. The combined worlds is the way to play the game.

Eggs is eggs

Learned
What about playing through MM4 and MM5 with separate parties and then combining them to do with WoX endgame content?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
What about playing through MM4 and MM5 with separate parties and then combining them to do with WoX endgame content?
You can't, you need 2 items to do the WOX endgame: one from finishing Darkside, one from finishing Cloudside.

There's really no point trying to perfectly balance the difficulty on a game like WOX anyway. The game is meant to be played as one, so just do that. Finishing most of Cloudside first is a good idea, since XP rewards in Darkside are MUCH higher and getting even 1/5th of the way through Darkside will completely trivialize Cloudside.

Reinar

Scholar
I managed to do something I thought myself incapable of. Finished M&M 7 with only a single character. What a blast it was (using bugged blaster with haste... for a while). Definitely recommend it.
solo41.jpg

Now I am going to make myself a mod in which I modify all the classes - their skills and stats. Also I'd like to play a solo run with paladin (paralyse from mace...).

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I managed to do something I thought myself incapable of. Finished M&M 7 with only a single character. What a blast it was (using bugged blaster with haste... for a while). Definitely recommend it.
solo41.jpg

Now I am going to make myself a mod in which I modify all the classes - their skills and stats. Also I'd like to play a solo run with paladin (paralyse from mace...).
Is it fun to play a single char? I could never get people like you :) . Still respect mate!

Dux

Arcane
Finished WoX a few hours ago. It was fun. Offensive spells are a bit of an afterthought though, aren't they? I used spells like crazy in MM1 and MM2 to survive but after that they became more and more superfluous. Buffs and a decked out party sweeps everything.

Also is Swords of Xeen worth the bother?

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Is it fun to play a single char? I could never get people like you :) . Still respect mate!

Actually, it's more fun to play than a full party run. Well, maybe not as the priest as traveling becomes pain in the ass without Flight and Town Portal and LLoyd's Beacon, but Wizard and Archer are really fun. Archer is more difficult, though.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Finished WoX a few hours ago. It was fun. Offensive spells are a bit of an afterthought though, aren't they? I used spells like crazy in MM1 and MM2 to survive but after that they became more and more superfluous. Buffs and a decked out party sweeps everything.
They can still be useful, but yeah in MM3-5 it's all about the buffs, namely Day of Protection and Day of Sorcery running 24/7. I think they got a good balance of offensive vs buffing with the MM6-8 spells.

Also is Swords of Xeen worth the bother?
Not particularly. It's inferior to WOX in most ways that count (puzzles, overworld, dungeons). If you're crazing more WOX then you might as well, there's nothing else around, but if you think a drop in quality will disappoint you then you're probably better off skipping it.

Reinar

Scholar
Some of the fun is lost, because you progress slowly, have to rest often and usually can't defeat tough encounters as you would with full party. Lot of fun is gained from the additional challenge and planning. And the "holy shiiiit, I did it!" feel when you finish the game... priceless.
As Pope Amole said, without Fly or Town Portal the traveling gets dull, especially trips to Nighon or The Pit, but that's where the planning comes into play. Since I know every quest and every location, I was able to limit travels to locations without coach or ship and do quests in bulks. When I returned to city to train, I usually went 10 levels up, sometimes more. At the beginning I was doing it intentionally to exploit arena.

Reinar

Scholar
I didn't even try in the solo run, because it would take too long, but I did it before with a full party. Then I save-scummed him for like 10 great items. The game was interesting but obviously kind of boring.

Eggs is eggs

Learned
I played the mobile game from JVC for a bit and while you can see some of his influence and HOMM influence, for the most part it's just another grindy, F2P mobile game.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I didn't even try in the solo run, because it would take too long, but I did it before with a full party. Then I save-scummed him for like 10 great items. The game was interesting but obviously kind of boring.
It is pretty nice way to speed up the game on your 10th replay :) .

I am curious do people use the turn based mechanic? I never used it,like the strategic fps feel of the games.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
First time I played MM6 I played it mostly as a FPS, but my last two time I prefered turn based.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom