Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Great recent stealth games?

McPlusle

Savant
I just played Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory for the umpteenth time and now I'm starving for more stealth titles. However, in the decade after the release of Chaos Theory and Hitman Blood Money, there seems to be a lack of them (that I own/know of, at least), with games like Assassin's Creed bastardizing the genre. What have I missed? I own the Death to Spies duology (which I haven't played) and Hitman 2016 (which I love to death, as I do the rest of the series).

Nryn

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Apart from The Dark Mod, the following releases are worth a look:

The Styx games: Competent sneaking games where open confrontation with enemies is heavily discouraged.
Shadow Tactics: Best stealth game in recent years with exceptional level design that squeezes a lot of use out of limited enemy variety.
Mark of the Ninja: Challenging stealth side scroller, especially when one tries to ghost through each level while exploring all its secrets.
Splinter Cell Blacklist: Surprising return to form after the mess that was Conviction. Actively acknowledges and encourages a ghost playstyle by rewarding the most xp for leaving enemies untouched. Plays faster than the first 4 Splinter Cells, but this is balanced out by there being far more enemies on screen at any given time.

Also, the Death to Spies games are worth a play. They channel the "social stealth" playstyle of Hitman, but their scenarios are far more dry and lack the creativity found in Hitman games.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Shadow Tactics: Best stealth game in recent years with exceptional level design that squeezes a lot of use out of limited enemy variety.
Mark of the Ninja: Challenging stealth side scroller, especially when one tries to ghost through each level while exploring all its secrets.

These

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
There are really few. What Nryn said was correct.
SC: Blacklist is great fun and was actually surprisingly good and managed to please not only ghosts and stealth fans but the people who just want to play a shooter.
Dishonored I thought was shit but you might like it.
Styx is a different type of stealth that I don't really enjoy personally but the games are pretty decent. Don't expect Thief, Styx is basically a puzzle game.
The 2 new Deus Ex games can be stealthed and are pretty decent overall.
My friend liked Clandestine, you might want to check it out although it is a pretty low budget indie game. He has a channel where he completes stealth games perfectly, really cool stuff.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I second the following: Mark of the Ninja, Shadow Tictacs and Clandestine. All are great games, and it's a shame that the third one is so overlooked.

Dishumoured is ok too.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Muh Stealtthhss gaemz

I really wanna try shadow tactics, is it as great as the old commandos series and desparado?

I found dishonored to be quite shit. Eh.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Clandestine is steam only, and that's the reason i forgot bout it. And honestly, my god, they really ran out of money with the animators (or didn't hire one in the first place).

It actually looks *very* hard (to ghost) - also because it's designed as a coop game.

Mark of the Ninja is the sort of stealth game you can ghost, but it's simply easier and better for xp to eliminate.

There is also Hotline Miami if we count less traditional approaches to stealth. You control the character from a top down perspective and your goal is to clear each level from the enemies. The interesting thing is that the levels are designed in a way that makes for a more "messy" playstyle, since you can't always stay in a corner waiting for the enemy to come near you, and you often have to bash a door and quickly take the enemy down without giving him any time to react. Sometimes you might want to use a gun, but because you know the guy in the other room is going to hear the noise you have to immediatately run to the corner after the hit, take the baton lying on the ground and wait to ambush him. It's also very easy for your plan to go wrong even if you do a small mistake which leads to lots of improvisation. The fact that everyone can die with a single hit combined with the aggressive AI makes the game quite challenging, and it's not uncommon to die five times in a row in the first few seconds of the level. It's not a "pure" stealth game by any means but certainly a very fun one.

Last edited:

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Evil Within, especially the Assignment and Consequence DLC.

This War of Mine.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
There are really few. What Nryn said was correct.
SC: Blacklist is great fun and was actually surprisingly good and managed to please not only ghosts and stealth fans but the people who just want to play a shooter.
Dishonored I thought was shit but you might like it.
Styx is a different type of stealth that I don't really enjoy personally but the games are pretty decent. Don't expect Thief, Styx is basically a puzzle game.
The 2 new Deus Ex games can be stealthed and are pretty decent overall.
My friend liked Clandestine, you might want to check it out although it is a pretty low budget indie game. He has a channel where he completes stealth games perfectly, really cool stuff.

Fuark that game looks ugly as shit.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Death to Spies duology (which I haven't played)

After you play those, and if you really like them, you should give Alekhine's Gun a try. It's the thid 'Death to Spies' game, mediocre, buggy, easier and popamolified, but if you really like the series you should extract a moderate amount of dopamine from it.

sullynathan

Arcane
Blacklist vs MGSV. I've put considerable hours into the latter but hear that the former is better as a stealth game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom