Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker Codex Quest Ideas

i.Razor

Scholar
Patron
The quest is activated at some inn or camp as soon as the party is sleeping. All NPCs, including all companions, have been replaced by doppelgangers. The goal was also to replace the player (and, consequently, take power and influence the kingdom), but something wrong happened with the doppelganger that would replace it.

The whole party and NCPs start to act strangely, with conversations completely different from their normal behavior. It is up to the player to discover the clues that lead to the body of the doppelganger that would replace him and unmask the whole conspiracy.

Felt like I read something like this not so long ago

Doppelgangers coup is history behind Durlag's tower in BG1.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Questline where fairies get the party drunk. The player character wakes up next to a red troll and finds they are scheduled to a shotgun wedding with it soon.
You must either go along with it and possibly get rid of your low class wife/husband/thing later, or do some detective work to find out what happened that night and see if you can cancel the wedding OR wed the troll to someone else.

That could be but it would be "play something like this not so long ago" (Also I didn't remember) I was actually thinking of this
9dbf1547a51881186f0269741eb5ed98dfef5d7e_336456_870_1235.jpg

Then again BG's older so the guy could have taken inspiration from that instead, lots of doppelgangers in fiction

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
That could be but it would be "play something like this not so long ago" (Also I didn't remember) I was actually thinking of this
9dbf1547a51881186f0269741eb5ed98dfef5d7e_336456_870_1235.jpg

Then again BG's older so the guy could have taken inspiration from that instead, lots of doppelgangers in fiction

Are you fucking kidding, right? I did not draw inspiration from BG or a retarded manga that some imbecile likes.

I've been DM for many years and dopplegangers have always been my favorite villains, for being great at a mystery campaign.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
In a new idea: we can try to subvert the classic mission of killing rats in the basement and trying to play with it somehow.

jungl

Augur
continuation of my not Shrek inspired quest. With C&Q.

The Donkey turned out to be a epic level sorcerer with 4 levels or so in bard with dragon/donkey blood as his heritage. This explains why the female red dragon was so enticed by him. You wonder why he speaks common he explains he always was always a donkey since he remembers. Him and the ogre now ask your help in saving their swashbuckler catfolk friend who is planning to steal from the kingdom the princess/ogress is from despite her protest. If you killed the ogress and took her royal insignia you can return it to the kingdom she is from for a reward. If you took the evil route and killed the princess and the ogre the donkey tells the kingdom where she from what you did and they invade your land. You can fight them and beat them in submission for loot. If you took the good route you can potentially get the catfolk to be your companion. If evil you can plunder the kingdom and get powerful artifacts.

If you fight the donkey he knows time stop and many high level spells from the necromancer school. He fights and casts spells entirely in donkey form.

Cool beans, it just was the first thing that came to my mind since it was the last doppelganger-related stuff I consumed (The chapter came out not so long ago)

I should have know you were better than to copy/adapt/imitate an existing work

mogwaimon

Magister
In a new idea: we can try to subvert the classic mission of killing rats in the basement and trying to play with it somehow.

So like some tavern owner asks you to kill the rats in his basement but when you go down there if you pass a wisdom check you find that they aren't rats, they're mini people painted to look like rats and if you talk to them the pygmies are like "we're travelers this guy kidnapped us and now he sends people down here to squash us every so often and we can't get out" so you confront the tavern owner but it turns out he's just a rat with really high charisma that's been passing himself off as a human tavern owner because one day some group of fledgling adventurers came down to the basement of the tavern he used to live at and murdered his whole family and the mage hit him with a spell that went wrong and made him all intelligent-like so this super smart rat decided he was gonna amass a ton of shrinking potion and occasionally spike people's drinks with it so he can drop them in his basement and make them feel the pain he felt when some random destiny's child adventurer and his ragtag group of pals came down and fucked up his whole life.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

The rats reveal that the questgiver is in cahoots with local kobolds that aim to monopolize the basement loitering business by eliminating the competitors?
And you have the choice to eliminate one faction, eliminate both or demand protection money in exchange for misleading future rookie adventurers.

Trashos

Arcane
All right, I know nothing about Pathfinder, but here is something I thought up. In total, we get a tall scary tower and a new dialogue option with a merchant in the game.

Stage 1 (Sisyphus)

You approach the tower and there are two guards outside arguing. If you go near, they stop arguing and tell you
- This question is for you and you alone, for you are the only one who can answer it, but don't. Incline or Decline? (A. Incline B. Decline C. Stay Silent)

No matter what you answer, they let you in. Inside, there is a small hill-like structure and a big rock that you can push up the slope. If you decide to push the rock (well, there is nothing else to do in there), you reach the peak and then the rock falls down the opposite slope. You can then choose to push the rock to the top again.

If you answered [A. Incline], and you repeat pushing the rock uphill 3 times, the third time the rock breaks the floor when rolling down and you discover a staircase to a secret basement.

If you answered [B. Decline], nothing happens no matter how many times you push the rock.

If you answered [C. Stay Silent], you have to pass a hard Strength skill check before you are allowed to push the rock. You again have to push it 3 times before the downward staircase appears.

Stage 2 (Before the Law)

You walk down the stairs and reach a closed door with a guard. The guard says
- This door is for you and you only, for you are the only one who can walk through it, but don't.
If you try to enter the door anyway, there is an Intelligence skill check. If you succeed, the guard does nothing. If you fail, the guard attacks you and you have to kill him. The guard gives you a very hard fight, and after he goes down you have to finish him with fire/acid or he gets up again.

Stage 3 (Equip the Ring)

You enter the door. There are 3 cowled men sitting at a long table, all facing your way.
- Are you here for the ring? (A. No B. Yes)

If [A. No], then you have to fight them. Again, you have to finish each one up with fire/acid after they go down or they get back up.

if [B. Yes], then they give you a ring. "This ring is for you and you only. You can pass it on, but don't".

Stage 4 (Selling out)

After you get the ring, a new dialogue option will appear in a merchant's dialogue.
- Give me that ring and I 'll give you 10% discount.
You can choose to accept the discount or keep the ring. If you ever return to the room with the 3 cowled men without the ring, they will fight you. If you return with the ring, they will say "Did you equip the ring?".

TT1

Arcane
Patron

So like some tavern owner asks you to kill the rats in his basement but when you go down there if you pass a wisdom check you find that they aren't rats, they're mini people painted to look like rats and if you talk to them the pygmies are like "we're travelers this guy kidnapped us and now he sends people down here to squash us every so often and we can't get out" so you confront the tavern owner but it turns out he's just a rat with really high charisma that's been passing himself off as a human tavern owner because one day some group of fledgling adventurers came down to the basement of the tavern he used to live at and murdered his whole family and the mage hit him with a spell that went wrong and made him all intelligent-like so this super smart rat decided he was gonna amass a ton of shrinking potion and occasionally spike people's drinks with it so he can drop them in his basement and make them feel the pain he felt when some random destiny's child adventurer and his ragtag group of pals came down and fucked up his whole life.

Holy shit, this is amazing! LOVE IT!

:love:

J1M

Arcane
Back in July the Codex raised $4000 for the Pathfinder: Kingmaker crowdfunding campaign, allowing us to create a quest in the game. Owlcat are working fast and they already want our quest idea. Unlike some previous games we've backed I don't have anything in mind so let's hear your ideas. Here's the email I got from their lead narrative designer, Alexander Komzolov:

First of all, please, let me once again thank you on behalf of our team for supporting us. We are doing our best to make this game a marvel to behold, putting as much effort as we can to perfect it. I’d like to thank you personally for allowing us this chance and hope to not let you, or any other of our backers down.

I’m looking forward to working with you on the quest for our game. Would you, please, share with us what you have in mind so we could start from there.

We don’t have a strict deadline for this quest. However we’d appreciate if you could share your ideas with us in December. This way we’d have more time to polish the details.

By the way, if you are still unsure about the quest, I may suggest a few areas to place it. (no pressure here)

We have a spare area for Chapter 1 by the name ‘Fairy Glade’. Something about fairies playing pranks on the player - including the event from the actual module. This area is large enough to hold a substantial side quest.

Other semi-spare area(s) are the city of Pitax, and the warcamps from the AP’s Chapter 5 - like Tusker Riders, Littletown and Pitax Horde.

Again, we wouldn’t mind if you pick something else entirely – I’ll make sure we fit your quest into our current areas. We don’t want limit your ideas.

I don't think it has to be super-detailed, just the basic framework of an idea. But obviously it'll help if you're familiar with Pathfinder and with the original Kingmaker pen-and-paper module (Grunker?).

You can read about the Kingmaker module here: https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Kingmaker_(adventure_path)
"Intercede in a practical joke contest between some fairies with humorous consequences."

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
You could do something like have a bibliophile who was chased out of Brevoy show up at Oleg's trading post in act 1. This character could be very opinionated and rave about a masterpiece from the past. In the hopes of finding something new to match his remembered masterpiece he would send the party on fetch quests for promising new works. When you deliver these new books to the man he rants about the decline, and is only finally satisfied when you give him a copy of the work he was praising in the first place.
:russiastronk:

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Channeling MCA:

A madman(/woman?) is dragged before you in chains, he was arrested in the street berating passers by, stealing brazenly, spitting and defecating where he wished. He is dressed in rags of once great finery that rot on his limbs. His hair and beard are long and crusted with dirt, old food and flecks of spittle. The eyes that look out from this wild tangle are however lively and intelligent at times, before quickly becoming glittering gems of hatred and ire, and then cruel, mocking and full of infinite jest.

Your seneschal raps his staff of office upon the ground and loudly proclaims. "How do you plead wretch?"

He looks around alternatrely sneering in disdain, laughing in derision, fuming in silent rage and roaring at his captors in apoplectic fury. At last he seems to hear the words spoken to him and begins to laugh in earnest.

"You judge us?" His laughter grows as he forces out these words, and he falls to the floor convulsing in mirth. The court watch in confusion, murmuring and tittering, then he springs to his feet with a feral grace, throwing off both the chains that bound him and all the rags that hid his form but for a soiled loincloth.

What is revealed transfixes the whole court in horrified fascination, over his body entire writhe words, phrases, sentences, paragraphs and great walls of texts that twist, change and scroll in some strange chaotic pattern that you cannot fathom. Among them are strange illustrations where blood red devils flicker and frolic, and other strange images lash into being before being drowned in the deluge of invective.

"No!" He proclaims, head thrown back, chin lifted in prideful pomposity. "We are the living Codex, and we come to judge you who would be king of this land. Act now and know that you are watched!"

1. Roll your eyes and wave the idiot off to the dengeons to bide a spell. The madman seems quite happy down in the fetid darkness and forgets all about you and his judgement.
2. Execute the lunatic. He smiles and nods in approval all the way to the headsmans axe, after being lifted to show the crowd, the madmans severed head comes baxk to life and roars out. "Hail to the king."
3. Speak with the madman, try and decipher some of the screed that illustrates his flesh. You are rocked to your core by the flood of foul knowledge and secres that the fiend whispers to you, you gain 1-6 scribed spells (d6) of level 1-6 (d6,) you gain 1 proficiency point in a chosen skill and +2 intelligence. This comes at a cost to your sanity however and you lose 1 point of wisdom.
4. Set the madman free, proclaiming that yours will be a land of fairness and tolerance. The madman spits one word at you, "weakling!" and stalks from your halls. In the following days you lose a point of charisma as the lunatics ranting against your rule spreads over the land.

Etc.
We have a winner.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Channeling MCA:

A madman(/woman?) is dragged before you in chains, he was arrested in the street berating passers by, stealing brazenly, spitting and defecating where he wished. He is dressed in rags of once great finery that rot on his limbs. His hair and beard are long and crusted with dirt, old food and flecks of spittle. The eyes that look out from this wild tangle are however lively and intelligent at times, before quickly becoming glittering gems of hatred and ire, and then cruel, mocking and full of infinite jest.

Your seneschal raps his staff of office upon the ground and loudly proclaims. "How do you plead wretch?"

He looks around alternatrely sneering in disdain, laughing in derision, fuming in silent rage and roaring at his captors in apoplectic fury. At last he seems to hear the words spoken to him and begins to laugh in earnest.

"You judge us?" His laughter grows as he forces out these words, and he falls to the floor convulsing in mirth. The court watch in confusion, murmuring and tittering, then he springs to his feet with a feral grace, throwing off both the chains that bound him and all the rags that hid his form but for a soiled loincloth.

What is revealed transfixes the whole court in horrified fascination, over his body entire writhe words, phrases, sentences, paragraphs and great walls of texts that twist, change and scroll in some strange chaotic pattern that you cannot fathom. Among them are strange illustrations where blood red devils flicker and frolic, and other strange images lash into being before being drowned in the deluge of invective.

"No!" He proclaims, head thrown back, chin lifted in prideful pomposity. "We are the living Codex, and we come to judge you who would be king of this land. Act now and know that you are watched!"

1. Roll your eyes and wave the idiot off to the dengeons to bide a spell. The madman seems quite happy down in the fetid darkness and forgets all about you and his judgement.
2. Execute the lunatic. He smiles and nods in approval all the way to the headsmans axe, after being lifted to show the crowd, the madmans severed head comes baxk to life and roars out. "Hail to the king."
3. Speak with the madman, try and decipher some of the screed that illustrates his flesh. You are rocked to your core by the flood of foul knowledge and secres that the fiend whispers to you, you gain 1-6 scribed spells (d6) of level 1-6 (d6,) you gain 1 proficiency point in a chosen skill and +2 intelligence. This comes at a cost to your sanity however and you lose 1 point of wisdom.
4. Set the madman free, proclaiming that yours will be a land of fairness and tolerance. The madman spits one word at you, "weakling!" and stalks from your halls. In the following days you lose a point of charisma as the lunatics ranting against your rule spreads over the land.

Etc.
We have a winner.
Replace that "weakling!" with "cuck!" and then we might have a winner :)

Mark Richard

Arcane
Just as long as it doesn't involve killing the rats while the adventurers loudly protest at what a cliche it is (Dragon Age: Origins). Nothing is subverted if the player is forced to jump through the same hoops regardless of whether they notice the lack of originality from their predicament or not.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Just as long as it doesn't involve killing the rats while the adventurers loudly protest at what a cliche it is (Dragon Age: Origins). Nothing is subverted if the player is forced to jump through the same hoops regardless of whether they notice the lack of originality from their predicament or not.
There is a quest where you get to pick berries for an Inn owner. And he needs it for his breakfast... I was at least expecting they would make fun of the quest.. but no. Whatever Codex puts it, it needs to make fun of that berry quest as part of it.
Maybe it would be cool if the Codex quests starts with that Inn owner asking to discuss berries with you again :)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Neanderthal's thing isn't actually a quest, though. :M

Maybe somebody can take what he wrote and develop it further.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Neanderthal's thing isn't actually a quest, though. :M

Maybe somebody can take what he wrote and develop it further.

Quick bit o theorycrafting:

Clues.
My lord I have as you requested begun searching for clues to the Living Codex. The rumours are rife throughout the Stolen Lands as to this dread artifacts existence and unspeakable knowledge, and my work has taken me far and wide in an effort to track it down, such power cannot be left to circulate in the hands of the uninitiated, it must be harnessed, imprisoned or destroyed as you most wisely speculated.
I began my search with the seer Infinit, his knowledge is prodigious as all know, and I was given many clues as he stared into his orb of obsidian and groped it with eager hands. After many travails I came to Lord Jaesun's keep in Ultima Thule, and from there was directed onwards again with warnings as to my virtue. The Dweller would not even recieve me, he snarled of decadence and a new world he would create before sending me on my way. The Cloven Grimoire would not reveal its clues to me, insisting that I was not worthy, should adjust my alignment and get goodness. I admit after so many false trails I grow tired and dispirited, but one rumour that will not rest is that of an underlord residing in the dark down under where I will and can not go.
You are however not alone in your quest to find this artifact, a secret organisation waits and watches for it, dull, earnest fellows who have consented to come to your halls and counsel with you on finding the thing. You will know them by their strange headwear and the courtesy with which they treat the fairer sex, a respectful m'lady is never far from their lips.

Quest.
You meet with the Watch who wish the Codex contained or destroyed for they hold that its knowledge is tainted and far too exciting, they give you a ring that when equipped will identify you to certain individuals (the ones mentioned above or other Codex luminaries) and get them to reveal what they know of the Living Codex. Slowly a tale emerges of many erratic but insightful minds pooling their knowledge, but with each step along the path you are challenged by weird foes, mostly lusty red devils that spawn screaming and laughing from the darkness to hurl themselves at you, while chittering mockery and ridicule.

Conclusion.
Eventually you find Master Phillipe, a bibliophile who is penning a great work, and your characters will be rewarded with his patronage, a great deal of lore and a source of knowledge that is second to none. He will not admit to his work being the Living Codex, and the player will not be able to advance the quest beyond this point, and may assume if they wish that this is the end and the Living Codex quest has reached its conclusion.

Epilogue.
A madman (/woman?) is brought before you in chains...

Perhaps a conclusion where the Watch attacks you for harbouring the Living Codex, or the various prominent individuals you consulted in your quest are revealed as the Codex' makers, but the cannot contain the mad thing it has becoming as it switches to alternate personalities and forms.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom