Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why should I like Neverwinter Nights 2?

Jarmaro

Liturgist
I tried to play it three times,, every time I quit after few hours beceause of how boring this game is. Walking on the map is more tedious than in MMOs, combat is brainless and, above all, dialogs and characters are so infantile they remind me of first Kotor.
Why is this game considered classic and why people like it? What am I missing?

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Why is this game considered classic
It isn't?
why people like it?
They don't?
On most forums when someone mentions NVM2 all people start acting like "So nostalgic, best game of my youth! Neeshka <3".
I actually wouldn't mention anywhere except Codex that I dislike this game beceause people would bash me.
And yes, in many lists I've seen NVM 2 was as one of the best RPGs, a true classic. I don't know what people see in this game.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The camera is fine, git gud. Or put it on Free Look (or whatever the free camera was called), Strategy Mode and Marquee Selection on. Either works. The OC has very few virtues, one of them being the best stronghold in gaming and the trial, but all in all, it's kind of meh. It's worth one playthrough, though, even if it won't blow your mind. If you absolutely can't get past its ...let's say traditional elements, then either start from MotB or SoZ. Yes, the engine sucks and you'll get stuck on nothing, reverting your position after a moment, like lag in an MMO, it's very weird, but that's how it is.

Taurist

Scholar

Its really not. Its generally considered (wrongly) to be worse than the first NWN by most people. Turn on the free look camera. It gets better after you fisnish that horrible "join the guards" quest, before becoming utter shit in the final dungeon.
Or skip to the expansions, all of which are better than the OC.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Its fairly much Obs most vanilla and boring game, which is kinda perfect for a follow up to the predictably vanilla and boring bioware original, so obviously masses are gonna like it cos squeeing retard characters and cliche shit are what they want every time.

That said there are a few good points: The method of tying the protagonist into the story is ingenious, hes not a chosen one like in the first game, hes just an unlucky little bastard who was in the wrong place at the wrong time when Ammon an KoS were scrapping in intro movie. Read intro story in manual before you begin.
Nolaloths valley, pretty good shit.
Trial, pity it were funneled into one resolution.
Siege and all o Crossroad Keep.
Ammon Jerro.
Its a pretty game at least in comparison to ugly as arse first one.

I don't know if I could stand to grind through all trash combat, trash loot and huge empty fucking areas again though, theres some really dull shit between rare high points. Mods an expansions are ticket for best experience wi it i'd say.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
It isn't?
why people like it?
They don't?

In my recent polls, 28 codex members thought it should be in a codex top 100 list, where as only 14 felt it didn't deserve a place. So, yes, even on the codex the number of rabbid fans outweigh the rabbid haters by 2 to 1. Even in the current top 70 poll, stickied on this very forum, it places at no.61, above such notables as System Shock and Wizardry 4.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I tried to play it three times,, every time I quit after few hours beceause of how boring this game is. Walking on the map is more tedious than in MMOs, combat is brainless and, above all, dialogs and characters are so infantile they remind me of first Kotor.
Why is this game considered classic and why people like it? What am I missing?
You shouldn't like or dislike anything based on what anybody else says. Either you like it or you don't. In this case, it is quite obvious that you don't like it. Either do yourself a favor and play the expansions or uninstall the game.

daveyd

Savant
Same reason you should like NWN1: The (good) user-generated modules. Fuck the OC!*

*Although Grobnar Gnomehands almost single-handedly makes it worth a playthrough, and I was at least able to finish NWN2 (unlike the first game), Obsidian loves throwing endless trashmobs at you. But forget about it & download Maimed Gods Saga, Conan Chronicles, Harp & Chrysanthemum, or any other hall of fame mods that sound good to you.

Last edited:

deama

Prophet
Speedhacking it will help with the slow movement and/or trash mobs.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Trial, pity it were funneled into one resolution.
Siege and all o Crossroad Keep.
Ammon Jerro.

Those three, expansions and modules; still not sure if worth your time to play OC for those three though Comrade cause first 1/3 of game and finale is utter garbage.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I'm always happy to receive questions about my blog. Keep asking me about my blog.

The Old Kiwi

Educated
You shouldn't. It has the worst camera ever.

Surely the guys at Beamdog will fix the camera for the Enhanced Edition.
I couldn't ever get past the first part, myself. I thought NWN was a lot better, especially the SoU expansion. If the original code for the sequel game has turned up, I haven't heard that (or was it IWD II that they haven't been able to find?)

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Thank you, disagreeable scrub, for giving me the opportunity to link to my preeminent write-up. Now, keep bumping your shit-thread.

Brain tumour?

Bit rich coming from a Morrowind LAPRer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom