Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The New World Update #22: Faction Leaders Overview

sqeecoo

Arcane
Looks great! I just worry slightly that out of the three main factions the Brotherhood looks by far the most desirable, as the others are two variants of religious fanaticism where the wrong word or deed can get you killed. I suppose that this will become more grey once the factions are fleshed out in-game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey Vault Dweller

Description of Bill Hanson said:
Then one of the snakes on the Council got wind of it and scuttled the whole deal.

I assume this is referring to the Brotherhood's Executive Council, not the Protectors' Mission Control Council - but it kinda makes sense for both, given that it was the MCC that executed Matheson and so directly "scuttled" the deal. You'll want to be careful when writing about this.

hivemind

Looks great! I just worry slightly that out of the three main factions the Brotherhood looks by far the most desirable, as the others are two variants of religious fanaticism where the wrong word or deed can get you killed. I suppose that this will become more grey once the factions are fleshed out in-game.
disagree

the nigger looks like the most based leader
the chad looking guy seems like a dumbfuck and the sneaky kike would probably just try to scam you the whole time

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I'm willing to bet the player will be able to broker some deal/alliance between the church and the protectors since they are pretty similar. I'm also betting on a mission to kill Reis and replace him with a more brotherhood friendly leader, thus opening the possibility of a truce/alliance/deal.

hivemind

I hope for a questline where you help Reis gas the noble council and let the commander take power for real
it should also have a gay romance subplot if your cha is high

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7520.msg151975.html#msg151975

PS. One of the Hydroponics areas to illustrate the description above:

wxJq5hP.jpg

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Factions read a bit clichéd...
In which way? Just curious as to how you see it.

I'm willing to bet the player will be able to broker some deal/alliance between the church and the protectors since they are pretty similar. I'm also betting on a mission to kill Reis and replace him with a more brotherhood friendly leader, thus opening the possibility of a truce/alliance/deal.
The real power is the Mission Control Council.

Tigranes

Arcane
Factions read a bit clichéd...
In which way? Just curious as to how you see it.

The real power is the Mission Control Council.

For my part, I initially didn't bother reading, because these kinds of pre-release loredumps have a tough task being interesting (see: all those bloody KS updates). But actually, it's a good thing I came back to do so, because the texts are great.

The factions *are* a bit cliched - or, rather, I'd say, straightforward: religious fanatics, status quo order types in civil war with their opponents. But I think that's fine - what matters are the specific characters and the political situation they are in, which is what AOD excelled in as well.

The most important part, in my mind, is that every character in the play has a reason to be in a precarious position. It's a dynamic situation. Reis has to act quickly to prove new leadership, the Council has to push for results to maintain their own position, Hanson's plan's been scuppered and his own window of opportunity to affect the stalemate is running out. That is key to a good story, a kind of story that plays out during the game itself rather than the backstory you read about somewhere else.

I think because we are increasingly introduced to RPG factions/stories at high-level, conceptual sketches in the Kickstarter age, there's a tendency to analyse them at this level. The problem is, at a high level, everything sounds cliche. When developers focus too much on coming up with a cool twist at this high level, you end up with overwrought and convoluted concepts that just never really get delivered in the actual game. (See: TTON.)

To me, what was key to AOD was that it wasn't all about this high level stuff, but it really focused on execution. Why is the NPC I'm talking to right now pissed off, why would he need the player's help, why would he be in this room in this building, why woudl the quest play out that way? That matters to me far more than how unusual his organisation's rules or powers or structure or history is.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
The factions *are* a bit cliched - or, rather, I'd say, straightforward: religious fanatics, status quo order types in civil war with their opponents. But I think that's fine - what matters are the specific characters and the political situation they are in, which is what AOD excelled in as well.
This and this, any idiot can come up with something new (disregarding quality for the sake of argument :shittydog:), doing something that's been done to death and getting away with it, that's skill.

himmy

Arcane
any idiot can come up with something new

I think the last 20 years of video games development have conclusively proven this to be untrue.

Last edited:
Looking at all the character portraits up until now, will this be another Dudebro game? Where are the women?

And I am seeing AOD characters in all of these portraits. Eyes of one here, the peculiar facial expression of another there etc. They sort of *feel* like a randomly generated mish-mash of AOD portraits.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Yeah, I said women.

Calm the fuck down, nigga.

I'm fairly certain that VD hasn't finalized all the portraits yet. There will be plenty of women in the game.
He is obviously focusing on the males first, since most of the seem to be in power positions.. causz.. yuu know, men and power and war. and all that.

It almost appears like this game is still in preproduction/raw-alpha stage.. if only we knew..

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Looking at all the character portraits up until now, will this be another Dudebro game? Where are the women?
While it's a sci-fi game, the ship is a fairly lawless, wild west-like place, which would make much harder for women to advance to positions of power. Out of 10 leaders listed, 3 are militia/mercenary leaders, 2 are "frontiersmen". Out of 5 leaders of the actual factions, 2 are female. Anyway, as I'm sure you know, our games are all about choices. This update shows the setup at the beginning of the game. You'll have many opportunities to reshuffle the deck and replace the leaders with more suitable candidates.

There are more leaders than the ten I listed because the update was running pretty long. For example, in one of the scenarios you'd be able to replace both Braxton and Jonas with an unlisted female leader who runs one of the crews in the Pit.

I'm fairly certain that VD hasn't finalized all the portraits yet.
I've posted all we have but the portraits aren't critical at this stage.

It almost appears like this game is still in preproduction/raw-alpha stage.. if only we knew..
We haven't hit the apha stage yet as we're still working on the systems. We made good progress in 2017 and I will go over it in the next update and post the first screens.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom