Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lands of Lore - the Throne of Chaos

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
After scrolling the thread i just found out that the game has two version.

Does the GoG version the same as the CD version or the floppy disk version ?

Gog version is the CD version

The beta for Age of Decadence turned out to be pretty meh imo and so the Legend of Grimrock became my solid (and only) candidate for crpg GOTY.

The guys making that game today announced that it reached gold and so instead of :bounce:I decided to play some real time crawler and practice, preferably one I never tried before. I heard that LoL is supposed to be decline (I mean, look at that acronym), but anyway I installed the cd version and goddamn, I'm having quite a blast. Yes, the crpg mechanics are very basic, but the game has so much charm to it. And it looks absolutely awesome, definitely one of the best looking VGA titles I've seen. Love the music and voice acting as well.

I picked the furryfag guy and I'm getting my ass kicked by pretty much everything. He was supposed to be dodging blows, at least that's what he said to convince me to pick him, but somehow he doesn't.

Are part II and III really as shit as they say? I remember trying out II back when it came out, but can't recall my impressions.

The Lands of Lore series is charming despite their age. Number two is my favorite game of all time. I hear #1 is even better.

Unfortunately Lands 2 and 3, like the other 3D games of that generation, did not age well. Lands 1 still looks amazing

This was my impression after rebuying the series on GoG. I am still debating if I have the patience to make it through Throne of Chaos, but #3 is supposed to be terrible, even compared to Guardians of Destiny. My thoughts? Guardians of Destiny (#2) was a flawed emerald. Very charming game. A few of its mechanics were incredibly engrossing, and had mechanics far above and beyond other games of its tier. If you can forgive the flaws, there is a jewel shining just beneath the surface.

I remember one segment in GoD where an area is flooded, and you have to stand on wooden doors to float up to the surface. Yes, the interaction was scripted. But in the age of sprites, it was well beyond its time--even if it was an "artificial" sort of rigged physics.

Oh, and the area design was phenomenal! I loved the art direction, even if the sprites weren't the best. To this day, it remains a charming game. I think #1 has held up best over the test of time, but alas, I have yet to play it. I have heard it's far beyond GoD (one of my favorite games.)

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
If you enjoy LoL 2 you definitely have to play LoL 1. Lands of Lore: The Trone of Chaos is by FAR the best game in the series and after having played through LoL and having a blast I tried LoL 2 and was utterly disappointed. LoL 2 is an ok adventure game but... seriously it lacks all the charm which made LoL 1 so great.

OndrejSc

Full Auto
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
AD6VmS.png

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I heard Westwood used promo screenshots with content that did not exist in the released game and this is another example (other one is some C&C title, Firestorm maybe).

belated

Augur
Not all of those character portraits are in the released game, at least not that I remember.

naossano

Cipher
Indeed.

I am still amazed that they put so much advertizing into Patrick Stewart starring as a character that spend 99% of the game both unconscious and unreachable. The guy must have recorded 10 or 15 lines at most.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I am still amazed that they put so much advertizing into Patrick Stewart starring as a character that spend 99% of the game both unconscious and unreachable. The guy must have recorded 10 or 15 lines at most.

Because at the time, and the primitive state of games, having voice overs from a well known actor was something amazing and new.

Now it is all commonplace.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Indeed.

Seems like it shares this feat with a certain Oblivion. On the other hand LoL1 Voiceover was pretty good.

pippin

I heard Westwood used promo screenshots with content that did not exist in the released game and this is another example (other one is some C&C title, Firestorm maybe).

That was a common practice back then. But people never noticed because most of the times you only got to see the games in a rather small photo in some magazine. The bullshot controversy (where our dear friend Randy Pitchford is a main player) only happened now in the age of HD/HQ videos available for everyone.

From time to time, I'd see people complaining in mags like my local equivalent of Nintendo Power that often the material shown in the magazines was not the same than what they saw on their own games.

OndrejSc

Full Auto
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
LoL's problem is automap showing everything, even things you may have not noticed yourself, like illusory walls and hidden switches.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
LoL's puzzles are so easy that it wouldn't have helped anyway. Puzzles were never Westwood's strong suit.
Well it's certainly no Dark Heart of Uukrul, but the last couple dungeons are actually decently challenging (largely because of bits where the automap and compass disappear).

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

They also did this with Eye of the Beholder 1 and the rolling demo of Eye of the Beholder 2. There's also a promo ad out there for Eye of the Beholder 3 while Westwood were still working on it which is basically one gigantic lie compared to what the game ended up being.

The curious case of the various legal disclaimers on the original Legend of Kyrandia 1 box also demonstrates how often Westwood tended to jump the gun.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
You pack of lying bastards. Ok, maybe that's a bit harsh, but after reading this thread and since it is on the Codex Top 72 CRPGs of all time list, I decided to purchase this series from GOG and play Lands of Lore 1. I really can't understand how it made our top CRPG list, even if it's towards the bottom.

This game is a slog. Enemies constantly respawn, the tactics and attack options are as so simple that I'm surprised this doesn't have a mobile port, the puzzles lack for any sort of depth, the storyline though charming is as cookie cutter faery tale fantasy as they come, and success is based upon how fast you can click on either your attack options or scrolling inventory. I'm playing the cool magic-user dude, which is a plus. I'm near some swamps right now and I'm having trouble making it past some horned enemies, but slicing my way easily through some orc or goblin mooks. So to move on, I suppose I can just grind on the mooks for a bit, building up some melee and magic levels, as character advancement is through the use of skills, but my god the combat is so dull that even the thought of that makes me feel like I'm just wasting time on this.

I chose this LoL1 since I was looking for something quick to get through during the holidays, and HowLongToBeat reports that this is about a 15-20 hour game, so I'm either a third of the way through or nearing the halfway point. I have enough time invested now, that I'm thinking about finishing this just for the hell of it. But I'm also thinking about ditching it and leaving action blobbers behind entirely. I thought that since I enjoyed Legend of Grimrock I might finally have a taste for the action blobber CRPG, however this game is quickly curing me of this notion.

I'll admit the problem is partly me. I'm a turn-based tactical CRPG kind of guy. I probably should stick with what I know I like, so maybe it's time I tackled other CRPGs that I never played through that are on that Top CRPG list such as the Realms of Arkania series (only 2nd made the list) and Dark Sun: Shattered Lands. I tried the opening battles of both games and liked what I saw. I'm going to step away from LoL1 and think about whether or not I still want to commit the 10 hours or so to beat it or whether I'll just watch a Let's Play for curiosity's sake.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
What were you expecting from an RT blobber? That's what the genre is. If you confused it with TB blobbers like wiz and m&m, that's on you.

I knew what I was getting into, but since it was on our Best CRPG list, I thought it would be good. Seriously, if it had some sort of depth and/or dropped the constant respawns I'd probably be fine with it.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The only really good RT Blobbers are Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back.
LoL is OK, but an anticlimax after the above mentioned games, even though it has very nice graphics and had NPC interaction.
So I recommend trying Dungeon Master instead.

V_K

Arcane
What were you expecting from an RT blobber? That's what the genre is. If you confused it with TB blobbers like wiz and m&m, that's on you.

I knew what I was getting into, but since it was on our Best CRPG list, I thought it would be good. Seriously, if it had some sort of depth and/or dropped the constant respawns I'd probably be fine with it.
LoL is up there with MM3-5 and BT in being the popamoles of their respective eras that are now considered "classics" because they're old and were popular at the time.
If you still want to give RT blobbers a chance, play Legacy: Realm of Terror or Anvil of Dawn. They're both single-character games, but blobber-like in the sense that movement is step-based, and both are miles better than LoL (Legacy is particularly good, and notable for having a horror setting instead of fantasy). Or, as octavius said, the original DM/CSB, if you haven't already.
But RoA and Dark Sun would still be better choices than any of those.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom